Jordan Kitna

According to Vito there is a chance we may see this son of a former NFL player at North Texas.

"Jordan finished his junior year completing 66 percent of his passes (227 of 342) and averaging better than 370 yards per year, according toMaxPreps.com."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2416255-undersized-and-underrated-jon-kitnas-qb-son-jordan-chasing-1st-offer

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

I wasn't buying it at first, but this kid is talented!!! not a big arm but his deep ball is accurate on the level he played... would be interested to see if we can get him here to compete. I think he would be successful in CUSA with some time to develop.

I wasn't buying it at first, but this kid is talented!!! not a big arm but his deep ball is accurate on the level he played... would be interested to see if we can get him here to compete. I think he would be successful in CUSA with some time to develop.

boy he is way accurate. Good pocket presence, great vision and anticipation. Kind of reminds me of Bridgewater's moxy in college. 

Being honest, I would have to say less than 5% chance of offering. And that's not as much a knock on Kitna as it is that we've never offered a QB under 6'1" under Mccarney (only one under 6'2" and that was Mcnulty) and it's pretty apparent we aren't taking a QB this class, having not offered one yet. The coaches have had months to evaluate QBs for this class, so if it's August and they still haven't offered one then the current plan is not to take one.

• Upvote 1

Being honest, I would have to say less than 5% chance of offering. And that's not as much a knock on Kitna as it is that we've never offered a QB under 6'1" under Mccarney (only one under 6'2" and that was Mcnulty) and it's pretty apparent we aren't taking a QB this class, having not offered one yet. The coaches have had months to evaluate QBs for this class, so if it's August and they still haven't offered one then the current plan is not to take one.

I'm hoping it's part of the Patience Play 

• Upvote 1

I'm hoping it's part of the Patience Play 

If that's the plan then it's an awful one. QB recruiting is extremely competitive. Most teams across the country have their QB commits by now. If we wait until now to start offering then we have a much more dwindled down pool of potential QBs than if we would've started offering back in February through April like everyone else. Most of what is left at this point are a few national prospects kids with no other offers.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 2

Or there potentially could be some kids blow up their senior year and we could get lucky.  I don't like that strategy and with 7 on 7 games being played all summer that is a stretch, but it is a possibility. I question Chico's ability considering he has spent time recruiting the kid out of Florida, the young man out of TN, but either never offers or Mac doesn't want them. He seems to be wasting a lot of timeon kids we do not envision signing.

• Upvote 1

If that's the plan then it's an awful one. QB recruiting is extremely competitive. Most teams across the country have their QB commits by now. If we wait until now to start offering then we have a much more dwindled down pool of potential QBs than if we would've started offering back in February through April like everyone else. Most of what is left at this point are a few national prospects kids with no other offers.

lol you've pretty much described our QB recruiting the past couple (few?) years. 

lol you've pretty much described our QB recruiting the past couple (few?) years. 

Yeah, couple, not few. Last class we hadn't offered any high school QBs by now (outside of the grayshirting Chumley) and we didn't end up getting any high school QBs. In the 2013 and 2014 classes we started offering high school QBs at the normal time of the spring evaluation period and going forward, and had our QB commits (Dajon and Connor Means) by June and July.

which id weird cause we only have 3 qbs above 6'2" and one of them isnt going to be a qb for much longer...

which id weird cause we only have 3 qbs above 6'2" and one of them isnt going to be a qb for much longer...

3 out of the 5 scholarship QBs on our roster. Smith seemed to be an exception with his talent. Also I think it had to do in part to Chico being firmly on the hot seat after last season and wanting to go down with his type of QB and offense, not Mccarney's.

Edited by BillySee58

@BillySee58 Did you not see Vito's video from last week with Mike Grant. He basically said we are changing our recruiting strategy and not offering anyone early. It sounded like they got sick of losing so many guys at the last minute. I was surprised by it. Doing things differently than everyone else is risky. Like even, if you are going to do things differently than everyone else, it better work or get ready to pack up your office, kind of risky..

@BillySee58 Did you not see Vito's video from last week with Mike Grant. He basically said we are changing our recruiting strategy and not offering anyone early. It sounded like they got sick of losing so many guys at the last minute. I was surprised by it. Doing things differently than everyone else is risky. Like even, if you are going to do things differently than everyone else, it better work or get ready to pack up your office, kind of risky..

I certainly hope that's not the case!! That would be an absolutely idiotic recruiting move. This really pisses me off if true. Kids want to be recruited early, they want early offers, if you're the first to offer the kid will remember. What are we currently ranked in recruiting right now @BillySee58?

Maybe the coaches feel like we already have the next couple of years covered at QB and are waiting for a knock your socks off type recruit before offering?

If Connor Means was starting we could maybe feel that way, but he's 4th and never even threatened Josh Greer in what was Means' second spring here.

I certainly hope that's not the case!! That would be an absolutely idiotic recruiting move. This really pisses me off if true. Kids want to be recruited early, they want early offers, if you're the first to offer the kid will remember. What are we currently ranked in recruiting right now @BillySee58?

Maybe I misunderstood, but that's what it sounded like to me. http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/08/mgb-video-mike-grant-talks-about-unt-strategy-following-friday-night-lights.html/

Edited by MeanGreenHoops

Yeah, it's like an open admission that you can't win recruiting battles. Let's wait until the end of the cycle to get guys who are no longer being recruited by some of the other schools that offered them in the spring, since we can't get players when they are being actively recruited by their entire offer list.

If you want to win on the field you have to win recruiting battles. There's no shortcut around that. No reason we can't get good early commits, hold onto them, and save some spots for a few guys that have offer lists with expired offers.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Billy, check my post in Vito's about FNL camp. From what I was told they liked the RB, and CB, even the young QB even though he is not going to be tall enough for Dan. The kid can straight sling it. 

I do not like the strategy, but I could honestly care less where we are ranked in recruiting the first of August.  Let's see where we end up before we judge this class. 

I don't really see people judging the class itself, as much as they are criticizing the coaching staff for not being with the times and not connecting with recruits the way other HCs and staffs are.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1