MGB: Five things that could make 2015 worse for UNT

Brett Vito

Don't act like this shit schedule was thrown on top of us. RV signed us up for this BS and the week 1 bye. I hate how you try to spin it to make it look as if North Texas had no say...no one to hold accountable. 

Also, 2-5 are coaching issues be it we fail in those departments. If we fail this season it will be because Macs shitty productivity in recruiting has fully caught up with us. 

Save the excuses. This is year 5. Bowl or bust. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

Easy Ben Ben. 

That was a pretty scathing indictment  of RV by Vito as far as scheduling goes, and he put it #1 on the list. Do you really expect him to say "you suck, RV, and so does your schedule" when he has to deal with RV on a day to day basis? That ain't gonna happen. Everyone knows who is responsible for putting together the schedule.

It's actually some of the most damning language I've seen Vito use in a while. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

Well, Thing 1 and Thing 2 had something negative to say about the AD.... color me shocked.

All of Vito's points are valid, although I don't worry that much about some of them.

The offensive line really doesn't concern me much,.  I think we will be at least as good up front as we were last year, maybe better. (but I don't think they played that well last year)

The difference makers are all young and unproven, but I think they are there.  We'll see if Canales can find creative ways to get them the ball and take advantage of mismatches.

My bet is that we are better than most predict.

• Upvote 2

I'm concerned just enough about our defense to help me forget all the offensive woes because without a solid defense there will be nothing to keep anyone's interest.

But the first time I see a runningback take a handoff 8 yards deep from the LOS and get dropped for a loss may cause me to just go ahead and throw up?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

How the hell does Vito keep his job? Always something spelled wrong. Guess the DRC does not care. Whatever...

We should be worried about most things going into this season. It sucks to say but it is a fact. Defense should be fine. DBs worry me some but we have a lot of talent on D line and LB. Offense is the big issue. We have the weapons (WRs and RBs). Will the new O line hold up? Seems like it will. They looked pretty good in the spring game, and they have a great teacher coaching them. We all know about the QB questions (All we talk about). If the questions on offense get answered then we have a season to look forward too. A great coach or a great set of coaches know how to figure out the answers to questions like this every off season. I hope Mac and his squad can do this better than last season.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Save the excuses. This is year 5. Bowl or bust. 

As for your frustrations with the schedule, I certainly am not a fan of having only 5 home games and a week 1 bye but I wonder how much differently this schedule might appear if we had built on the 2013 momentum and entered this season with an expectation of "CUSA championship or bust."  At that point, I expect the idea of facing Power 5 squads of Iowa & Tenn would truly feel more "opportunity" than "body bag."

Yes, RV did the team a disservice with the schedule, but maybe it was based partly a confidence in Mac to have things better positioned by now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The schedule is the just a killer for a school like ours, in its current talent condition. Blame RV for a poor schedule, blame Mac for the lack of developed talent on the roster, but the fact is that this team may have a coach in year 5, but it looks like one in year 2. Obviously, it shouldn't, but it does. So, because of that fact, you can be pissed about that reality, but to be reasonable about the current situation and the schedule ahead, expecting a bowl berth is just a pipedream, IMO. It sucks, but its the place we are in. The only person who is ont he chopping block is Chico, who's contract runs out this year. Unless he turns Minimac into something no one can foresee, this will be his last year. But Mac and RV are here after this season even if we go 0-12, which we won't because of Portland State, at the very least.

For those fans out there that love UNT Football and RV because of tailgating, even with only 5 games to enjoy this fine experience that has given the AD an almost lifetime guaranteed contract, its highly probable that you guys are going to enjoy this season the most out of anyone associated with UNT...and you'll probably have plenty of room to enjoy yourself in the stands, too.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

For those fans out there that love UNT Football and RV because of tailgating, even with only 5 games to enjoy this fine experience that has given the AD an almost lifetime guaranteed contract, its highly probable that you guys are going to enjoy this season the most out of anyone associated with UNT...and you'll probably have plenty of room to enjoy yourself in the stands, too.

Down vote him all you want but jim is on the money here.  If we lose that first game to SMU, there is a very good chance we start off 0-4 before we get back home against Portland.  We'll be lucky to avg 15K for the year if that happens.

• Upvote 4

Down vote him all you want but jim is on the money here.  If we lose that first game to SMU, there is a very good chance we start off 0-4 before we get back home against Portland.  We'll be lucky to avg 15K for the year if that happens.

I may enter into hibernation as the "color" of this message board will be unbearable if we start the season off 0-4.

Do most of you think we will go 2-2 in OOC play?

I would say most do. We go 1-3 we're in trouble. That would mean we have dropped to smu level and that'll get us about 2 conference wins if we're lucky. That will all but solidify our place in the cellar of CUSA for years to come.