Windows 10 - Looking great so far

At work I've upgraded W7 on some test laptops and they went so well I upgraded my desktop PC.  They all went very well with the only issue being a known problem with the Nivida driver which I simply had to reinstall.  I'm loving the new interface.  The free upgrade when off without a hitch each time requiring only a few clicks of the mouse.  

So far I'm very, very pleased with W10. 

• Downvote 1

I am always wary of being an "early adopter". I'll let you brave souls charge up the hill and take fire. I will wait about six months and analyze the body count before I take the leap.

At work I've upgraded W7 on some test laptops and they went so well I upgraded my desktop PC.  They all went very well with the only issue being a known problem with the Nivida driver which I simply had to reinstall.  I'm loving the new interface.  The free upgrade when off without a hitch each time requiring only a few clicks of the mouse.  

So far I'm very, very pleased with W10. 

We missed getting to attend the roll out party by about a week in Seattle as they were setting up the tents the day we were there.

OFCEPo2.jpg

YYRHotZ.jpg

I'll let Lawrence know you are pleased so far.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

The other issue is with Cisco VPN. If you have it installed, make sure to uninstall before moving to 10. Otherwise you won't have any networking and you'll have to revert to 8.1 to uninstall before upgrading again.

We use Sonicwall VPN and it doesn't appear to like W10.  I uninstalled and tried to reinstall but it fails.  I'll check today for an update from Sonicwall or look at other VPN options.

Things went so well at work I decided to upgrade my person PC at home.  Turns out my Wireless adapter (Netgear A6210) didn't like the upgrade at all.  I had to connect a network cable to finish the upgrade.  I had to completely uninstall the Netgear driver / software, manually remove it from the registry, and then reinstall.  Now it appears to work great.  

W10 is faster, looks great, and has a lot of great features.  The upgrade process is very simple and works very well.  I would just advise that if you have any critical apps or peripherals you have to have, then double check that those will work on W10.  The only issues I've run into is the VPN and one wireless adapter.  I've had no issues with printers, domain permissions, peripherals, games, etc.  In fact, even my heavily modded games started up with no issues. 

Good to hear.  I am still on 7 but was hesitant about 10 after the 8 fiasco.

W8 is a solid OS with a horrible interface (before updates).  That's why I never rolled it out for my employees or used it at home.  W10 interface is W7 with the best features of W8, if that makes sense.  I love the interface. There's no rush to upgrade but if you like W7 you'll love W10.  

Edited by NorthTexan95

I still follow the rule "never install an x.0 version" - just like my dad's advice "never buy a car in the first model year".  But I am looking forward to Win10 - I just want to wait a bit to hear how it goes for others first.

Is anyone running Win10 under VirtualBox or VMWare player?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded last night on my personal laptops.  So far it's been great and truly apples/oranges different and better to Windows 8.  I'm using Win 7 at work but my company made the shift of upgrading to Win 8 just last year.  I hope they upgrade to 10 and til then I'll just use 7 at work which is still great.

I had a minor hiccup this week. Upgraded Nvidia drivers (GTX 660) to the latest Win10 version through Nvidia Geforce Experience and went through the clean installation option. The drivers didn't automatically install. System rebooted with no drivers and then I had to rerun the Geforce Experience again and select clean install again. Maybe this is just a Win10 thing where it reboots & cleans out old drivers? It didn't even attempt the annoying auto device install either, which was a plus. Afterwords, my PC locked up after I shut it down when I was done with the installation. Haven't had an issue since, but this was the 1st ever lockup I've had on this PC....

I had a minor hiccup this week. Upgraded Nvidia drivers (GTX 660) to the latest Win10 version through Nvidia Geforce Experience and went through the clean installation option. The drivers didn't automatically install. System rebooted with no drivers and then I had to rerun the Geforce Experience again and select clean install again. Maybe this is just a Win10 thing where it reboots & cleans out old drivers? It didn't even attempt the annoying auto device install either, which was a plus. Afterwords, my PC locked up after I shut it down when I was done with the installation. Haven't had an issue since, but this was the 1st ever lockup I've had on this PC....

I have absolutely no clue what you just said.

I have a Surface Pro running Windows 8 ... Which I think pretty much sucks ... I am on the Windows 10 upgrade list and will be upgrading soon.  If I have to know all this sort of stuff, I just might be in a little bit of trouble.  

• Upvote 1

I've never heard of this (NG Experience) and looked it up; is it specific to gamers, or is it worth looking into - regarding my post above - for someone who is not using their PC as a gaming machine?

I've never heard of this (NG Experience) and looked it up; is it specific to gamers, or is it worth looking into - regarding my post above - for someone who is not using their PC as a gaming machine?

GeForce Experience is Nvidia Software used for driver updates, game settings, etc. I don't know if a card as old as what you're running is supported by this software. From what I've found, you might be able to use Win10 by going with this method I pulled off Nvidia's forum:

"Here is how I did it:

Downloaded Windows 10 from this site: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Downloaded the GeForce Driver and Installed it from This site: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/56378

And it worked. The computer I am typing this on is upgraded to Windows 10 with an Nvidia Geforce 6150SE NForce 430! It is running at full Resolution on the monitor. 

Please Note: This is NOT an officially supported configuration by NVIDIA or Microsoft. It did work for me, and I haven't had any issues with it. It runs at an older version of DirectX. You can try it at your own risk. Your mileage may vary. "

• Upvote 1

After much soul searching, I'm upgrading my main home PC to an Apple iMac. Always have use a windows based PC in business but want to change.  Moving to the "dark side".  All I use it for is email, graphics, pictures, and some Offoce stuff.  But I'll still have a second computer and will probably upgrade from 7 to Windows 10.  I could actually run Windows on the iMac.

After much soul searching, I'm upgrading my main home PC to an Apple iMac. Always have use a windows based PC in business but want to change.  Moving to the "dark side".  All I use it for is email, graphics, pictures, and some Offoce stuff.  But I'll still have a second computer and will probably upgrade from 7 to Windows 10.  I could actually run Windows on the iMac.