Roster question/concern

Hopefully this is no big deal but but I looked at the roster and noticed there were some of our recent signees missing as well as they had Reese listed as a senior?  Hopefully just needs to be updated but I thought Reese would be here two years?

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ntex-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Upvote 1

Good question on Reese. The roster is missing quite a few new signees so hopefully the roster is simply a work in progress. Not sure why they would publish something incomplete thought.

• Upvote 1

UNT lost their basketball SID to OSU about a month or so ago. 

I am pretty sure that Reese is going to have two years.  Here is an article from Vito stating this from back when he was denied immediate eligibility back in Dec of 2014:

North Texas will be without J-Mychal Reese, a player whom coach Tony Benford hoped would be a vital asset in a breakout season, after his waiver request to the NCAA for immediate eligibility with the Mean Green was denied Thursday.

The junior point guard has not played for the Mean Green. He will have two seasons of eligibility remaining at UNT beginning in the 2015-16 season after sitting out this year.

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/colleges/north-texas-headlines/20141205-mens-basketball-unts-reese-appeal-denied.ece

Ward is also a junior. This has to be a work in progress, because it only lists returning players and zero newly signed players. 

Last year Ward was classified as a Junior according to last year's roster.  He may have never had a red shirt year, thus the current Senior classification.

He was red shirted last year due to his injury. 

He played in four games last year, so a straight up red shirt isn't possible.  Maybe he applied for a medical exception and it hasn't been granted?  Regardless, I put more trust in what MeanGreenSports puts up than an over-zealous fan.  Perhaps you could ask Brett to follow up on that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He played in four games last year, so a straight up red shirt isn't possible.  Maybe he applied for a medical exception and it hasn't been granted?  Regardless, I put more trust in what MeanGreenSports puts up than an over-zealous fan.  Perhaps you could ask Brett to follow up on that?

I thought there was already an article in the DRC maybe 7 or 8 months ago that said that he was going to medical red shirt. Could be wrong and maybe it was said during a post game interview. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20150120-unt-notebook-harris-ruled-out-for-super-pit-showdown-with-bulldogs.ece

I put my trust in Vito and what the coaches and players say.

They also have Reese as a senior but he is a junior. I think because they just carry over players from last season they automatically add a year of experience. The same thing happened with TJ. He was listed as a senior during his junior year by mean green sports. He was a junior the year he was here and sat out. It must be automatic or something. That's why returning players are always posted before new players (as seen above). 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I thought there was already an article in the DRC maybe 7 or 8 months ago that said that he was going to medical red shirt. Could be wrong and maybe it was said during a post game interview. 

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20150120-unt-notebook-harris-ruled-out-for-super-pit-showdown-with-bulldogs.ece

I put my trust in Vito and what the coaches and players say.

They also have Reese as a senior but he is a junior. I think because they just carry over players from last season they automatically add a year of experience. The same thing happened with TJ. He was listed as a senior during his junior year by mean green sports. He was a junior the year he was here and sat out. It must be automatic or something. That's why returning players are always posted before new players (as seen above). 

Like I said, ask Brett to follow up with the athletic department to check on the status of the medical red-shirt if you feel it is wrong.  I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere he was granted one, so lets not assume it's been granted.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Like I said, ask Brett to follow up with the athletic department to check on the status of the medical red-shirt if you feel it is wrong.  I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere he was granted one, so lets not assume it's been granted.

I do not see why he would not recieve one. You can play around 10 games before sustaining a major injury and still recieve the medical red shirt. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I wouldn't trust that website. They're awful at updating redshirts on the football roster as well. Wylie Reinhardt is listed as a junior, and was listed as a sophomore last year. He didn't play a snap as a freshman in 2013 and even admitted that his first game experience didn't come until towards the end of the year at UTEP. In short he's a Redshirt Sophomore now and was a redshirt freshman last year but was listed as neither. And he's not the only example.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't trust that website. They're awful at updating redshirts on the football roster as well. Wylie Reinhardt is listed as a junior, and was listed as a sophomore last year. He didn't play a snap as a freshman in 2013 and even admitted that his first game experience didn't come until towards the end of the year at UTEP. In short he's a Redshirt Sophomore now and was a redshirt freshman last year but was listed as neither. And he's not the only example.

sad.

• Upvote 1

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2007-06-03/ncaa-quietly-updates-criteria-receiving-medical-reds

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medical-redshirt-rules-basketball-4185.html

Just for the two people who clearly need to be educated on how a medical red shirt in college basketball works. You can play 30% of the games in a season. A typical season is ten games and longer with post season tournaments. Playing at least ten before receiving a medical redshirt is common practice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/illini-sports/mens-basketball/2007-06-03/ncaa-quietly-updates-criteria-receiving-medical-reds

http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/medical-redshirt-rules-basketball-4185.html

Just for the two people who clearly need to be educated on how a medical red shirt in college basketball works. You can play 30% of the games in a season. A typical season is ten games and longer with post season tournaments. Playing at least ten before receiving a medical redshirt is common practice. 

Let me educate you. If the season is 10 games as you stated, and you play in 10 that is 100%.  Now, if the season was 30 games, and said player plays in 10 of them that would be 33.3 % even by your logic they still couldn't play. 

Unless of of course you are talking about post season play counting towards that 30%, which I logically can't see the NCAA allowing that, bc well let's see here. Kentucky plays in conference final and final 4 every year, so they play somewhere around 38 games they play in 11.4 games. 

That seems unfair to the team playing 30 games and their kid gets 9 games. Which by the way is .3 multiplied by 30 equals 9 games. Anywho, just wanted to help a fellow alum out. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Let me educate you. If the season is 10 games as you stated, and you play in 10 that is 100%.  Now, if the season was 30 games, and said player plays in 10 of them that would be 33.3 % even by your logic they still couldn't play. 

Unless of of course you are talking about post season play counting towards that 30%, which I logically can't see the NCAA allowing that, bc well let's see here. Kentucky plays in conference final and final 4 every year, so they play somewhere around 38 games they play in 11.4 games. 

That seems unfair to the team playing 30 games and their kid gets 9 games. Which by the way is .3 multiplied by 30 equals 9 games. Anywho, just wanted to help a fellow alum out. 

he played four games. There is no reason why he should not receive a medical redshirt unless he used one in JUCO which I do not believe he did. The links say it's possible to play in ten games and still receive one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2