Unified Fan Chant or Cheer During SMU Game?

Harry

I think we all agree that we should likely have a nice crowd in place for the SMU game this year.

Is it too early to start thinking about chants or cheers that we could do in unison.  Obviously the fight song will be in play.  Hopefully often.

I know the fall back is always the Nooooorrrrthhhh.....Teeeexxxaaasss one.  But in this game we won't likely have too many on their alumni side.

Anyone have any good ideas for this?  It seems like there could be some good opportunities for us to show our support in a unified way.

Also, any of our band alums know if the band is making this game?  I sure hope so!  GMG

Am I the only one that is getting bored with that?  I am not saying get rid of it.. just something new, fresh...

I think what's gotten tired about this chant is the fact that there's never a unified beginning or ending.  Too often what we experience is:

1. its beginning is faint and clouded with question as to the degree to which each side will/wants to participate
  2. its ending is a casual trail off as fans drop out individually and gradually

Unfortunately, I have no special ideas for a new chant but hope that if something is established that it's NT focused rather than anti-SMU. The ideal scenario would be a supportive chant for our guys during a big victory that carries on in the same way tortillas from Lubbock made their way to Fouts.

• Upvote 1

We could take a page out of the big program's book. I think both Notre Dame and Southern California do a chant just using their initials...WE ARE.clap clap S-C (or N-D)....and it continues for about as many cycles as our "NORTH- TEXAS" chant does.  We could do the same thing but do two cycles of WE ARE clap clap N-T and then do two cycles of WE ARE clap clap MEAN GREEN.  Or we could do them every other cycle....WE ARE clap clap N-T, WE ARE clap clap MEAN GREEN. Either cycle could/would be choreographed by the cheer squad using the same boards they use for the NORTH TEXAS chant. 

Naturally if the band is there they (specifically the percussion section) would provide the rhythm for the "clap clap" section....or more if they want to get creative about it.  The fans could also stomp with their feet as well as clap.  

This chant could also be used to counter the SMU Band's VERY IRRITATING habit of droning on and on with their fight song. When they start in on doing that, after a couple of stanzas it sounds like 99 special needs 5-year-olds with kazoos who are verbally stimulating themselves in unison. It's then that I always wish I was right in front of their band with a high pressure fire hose...........

• Upvote 4

Year 20 back into FBS football and we are still asking for chants at football games to reve up the fans and team.  Too bad we don't have a spirit/band/gameday coordinator that oversees all of this.  Maybe go to the students for "chant", game day ideas.

• Upvote 5

Harry, you're doing this on purpose.  ON PURPOSE!!

Well come up with something better and I will support it!  The North Texas chant is cool, but it needs structure.  I starts out strong and then dies off with a whimper.  That is all I am saying.  Listen to every chant or cheer out there and there is typically a beginning and an end.

Well come up with something better and I will support it!  The North Texas chant is cool, but it needs structure.  I starts out strong and then dies off with a whimper.  That is all I am saying.  Listen to every chant or cheer out there and there is typically a beginning and an end.

.....and people are more likely to participate to the fullest extent when they know there is a beginning and a definite end. This trailing off and dying out makes an initially strong chant/cheer sound kind of pathetic in the end.

• Upvote 2

Go!

Mean!

Green!

Eagles!

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!

Rick

Rick posts this every year, and it makes sense every year.  Would work great on those big cheerleader cards, too.  Hold them up in rhythm with the drum line playing a cadence, and there you have it.

• Upvote 4

Go!

Mean!

Green!

Eagles!

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!

Rick

would be even cooler if the first 4 words were slowed down. Then you do the entire chant fast.

Go...Mean...Green...Eagles...Go Mean Green Eagles Fight Fight Fight

And if you want to get really coordinated, the first 4 words are split between the two sides, then the entire stadium says the final 7 together

...seems like we have been talking about this since 02

Are there any good current rock anthems beats/chants that we could rip off...ala 7 nation army. Something the students might get behind

• Upvote 1

The problem with the North Texas chant is its not original at all.  It'd be great to have something that ends with U-N-T Eagles! Fight! Fight! Fight! since that's already in our DNA 

EDIT: love the spirit coordinator idea.  This stuff doesn't happen organically anymore, it's gotta be choreographed/manufactured and that's okay.  Won't take too many years to feel like a legitimate tradition.  

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 1

The problem with the North Texas chant is its not original at all.  It'd be great to have something that ends with U-N-T Eagles! Fight! Fight! Fight! since that's already in our DNA 

EDIT: love the spirit coordinator idea.  This stuff doesn't happen organically anymore, it's gotta be choreographed/manufactured and that's okay.  Won't take too many years to feel like a legitimate tradition.  

This should be organized by the cheer squad. They should invite all students, area alum and whoever else wants to attend one night at Apogee and push something. I'm not talking about a midnight thing like ATM or anything but if it turns out to be like that then so be it. Send the emails in. I think I may. 

To the tune of 5 Little Monkeys jumping on the bed.

5 Little Hookers Jumping on the Bed

Craig James came and killed them dead.

MaMa called the doctor and the doctor said

Craig James killed 5 hookers dead. 

i came just to see the creative use of CJK5H...

• Upvote 2