Best shot @bowl this year, UNT or SMU?

Harry

Which team has the best shot at a bowl this year, UNT or SMU?

Gosselin: SMU. The quarterback situation at North Texas remains too unsettled for the Mean Green to clear the muck this season.

Read more:  http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/smu-mustangs/20150727-gosselin-chad-morris-will-have-smu-back-with-the-big-boys-quicker-than-you-think.ece

I don't know how you can be so confident.

Exactly.  There is always a chance a coach can spark something.  I don't think June had terrible players, he out recruited us head to head for the most part.  He just did a godawful job of motivating and preparing them.  

This season?  I don't see how anyone can pick SMU over UNT.  

After they beat us in the opener, it will become much clearer. 

I don't know why everyone thinks SMU will be an easy out for us. They made ton of mistakes that lead to a ton of turnovers in that game against us. Remove half of them, it's an entirely different game. That team had quit on the coach. They'll be fired up for Morris. And ready to win after getting their teeth kicked in by Baylor. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

After they beat us in the opener, it will become much clearer. 

I don't know why everyone thinks SMU will be an easy out for us. They made ton of mistakes that lead to a ton of turnovers in that game against us. Remove half of them, it's an entirely different game. That team had quit on the coach. They'll be fired up for Morris. And ready to win after getting their teeth kicked in by Baylor. 

because they are coming out out a 1-11 season. They were the worst team in the FBS last year, hands down. And a new coach would have to be a super legend to work out a lot of those flaws. There are plenty of other things SMU and UNT have to overcome.  I am very confident in this game, not so much as us winning, but how this game is going to be a knock-out drag-out game between the two of us.

I think this is the game UNT is longing for all year, we have SMU helmet props during practice. A body bag game isn't going to fire up the team when they get slaughtered. I see UNT just as fired up for this game as they would.

• Upvote 2

because they are coming out out a 1-11 season. They were the worst team in the FBS last year, hands down. And a new coach would have to be a super legend to work out a lot of those flaws. There are plenty of other things SMU and UNT have to overcome.  I am very confident in this game, not so much as us winning, but how this game is going to be a knock-out drag-out game between the two of us.

I think this is the game UNT is longing for all year, we have SMU helmet props during practice. A body bag game isn't going to fire up the team when they get slaughtered. I see UNT just as fired up for this game as they would.

SMU lacked preparation and motivation last year.  It was not a matter of talent.

I think you are underestimating the jolt of energy the right hire can make (think, interim HC Canales).  I don't know who will win this game, but I do feel 1) SMU is better than 1-11, and 2) they will not bend over for us again.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3

SMU lacked preparation and motivation last year.  they will not bend over for us again.

I see this years game as more of us spooning SMU versus bending them over like last year.  Both can be satisfying wins.

SMU lacked preparation and motivation last year.  It was not a matter of talent.
I think you are underestimating the jolt of energy the right hire can make (think, interim HC Canales).  I don't know who will win this game, but I do feel 1) SMU is better than 1-11, and 2) they will not bend over for us again.

I agree that they aren't going to be getting bent over. But, if you're comparing Interim Canales to this situation, then what is so different in SMU's case? June was gone after UNT annihilated them last year. That was a coaching change for them to an interim wasn't it?

I will reiterate the fact that I would not take SMU lightly, like I've seen some posts stating that it's a for sure win for us. I know this is going to be a 50/50 game for both teams. NT is going to have to come prepared on 9/12 if they don't want to come home disappointed.

• Upvote 2

We are going to beat them. It may be by less than a TD, but we will beat them. They have no developed talent. Morris isn't going to change that in his first year. They might be a better as the season goes, but I still bet they don't win more than 3 games at best. I do think Morris could pull a June Jones and make marked improvement in his second year at the Hilltop, but I also think its just as likely that he could be their next Phil Bennett, Mike Cavan, Tom Rossley, etc...

I tihnk we win a late game by being in better game shape and making fewer mistakes, maybe even coming from behind to win, but we will beat them. Mac's teams play up for "rivalry" games--he knows how to motivate his players to beat the team that his players and fans hate the most. Its why he had a winning record against Iowa while in Ames, when Iowa State rarely beat them before he got there.

I'll say it again...if we cannot beat SMU, there's not one other FBS team on our schedule we will beat.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I've been curious about an SMU frog? If you're a frog, don't you belong 30 miles west?

In reference to this being an avatar of mine on another SMOOforum someone made me my current one.

28a.gif

Bonus: a TCU frog is obviously on all the drugs:

giphy.gif

Edited by malonish
More frog
  • Upvote 3