Softball: a whole new ball game

With the preface that softball is my favorite NT sport outside of football, I am not interested in the politics of how this roster turned over. I am impressed that the athletes that left, for whatever reason, did so without a great deal of drama. Best wishes to some ladies I enjoyed watching play for my school. I hope that they complete their education here or elsewhere.

We have added 11 new players to the roster. By my count, we have FOUR players returning. I greatly admire the fab four, the Schkade sisters, Wade and Williams, for their commitment and leadership. Very proud of you ladies.

It appears Coach Kee busted butt to fill out next year's team. The headlines on these ladies indicate we have a great group coming on. One real positive that reflects well on the future: at least 5 of this team attended Freshman orientation, captured in a segment on MeanGreenSports.com.

Link to the new roster:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/ntex-w-softbl-mtt.html

I am looking forward to seeing how Coach and her staff shape this team from here.

Now where do I get some of the cool Mean Green softball shirts I keep seeing?!

GMG

• Upvote 5

By my count, 7 players chose not to return including both freshmen Kee recruited last year.  This group included 2 of the 3 top pitchers and what would have been 4 returning starters.  

Whether this is just a hiccup or a systemic problem that is not likely to get better, I don't think it can be good for the program.   The most heralded recruits coming in were also signed before the team came apart which is lucky for NT.  

I apologize for bringing up what you don't want to discuss, but it is a giant elephant in the room.   The team was not very good last year but that was primarily due to poor pitching.  So if pitching improves, so can the team but losing most of the offense is going to be hard to overcome.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

According to Vito it is even 8 that left with eligibility left. Lets call that what it is: the team quit on the coach! This is particularly concerning with the rumours surrounding the end of coach Kees last job. This better go well next season with this almost completely new group and such an exodus must not repeat itself. Even if it is "only" softball RV must be thinking that the coaches leish is short now as that roster development is actually more concerning than last seasons record was.

• Upvote 3

According to Vito it is even 8 that left with eligibility left. Lets call that what it is: the team quit on the coach! This is particularly concerning with the rumours surrounding the end of coach Kees last job. This better go well next season with this almost completely new group and such an exodus must not repeat itself. Even if it is "only" softball RV must be thinking that the coaches leish is short now as that roster development is actually more concerning than last seasons record was.

A bit dramatic?  We know of two ... 2 ... girls that left because of issues the the coaches.  That is not uncommon.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How uncommon is it to have a coach fired from a job in very similar circumstances that appear to be repeating here?

"Appears" is the operative word.  I've seen nothing that definitively says what happened at ECU or with UNT last year ... and we have more players who praise the coach than condemn.  So do we believe the two that complain or the majority that praised the coach? 

• Upvote 2

"Appears" is the operative word.  I've seen nothing that definitively says what happened at ECU or with UNT last year ... and we have more players who praise the coach than condemn.  So do we believe the two that complain or the majority that praised the coach? 

The best player on the team openly said the environment was so toxic it made her lose her love for the game. She is not transferring to play her senior year, but rather staying here and will pay her own way.

I see that you're all in with Coach Kee, that's fine so long as you understand that others aren't and have good reason to feel that way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It seems ironic to me that Taylor had, by far, her best season in that toxic environment. She hit .390 last year, about .120 more than the year before. Her play in the field was solid. She clearly excelled in adversity. 

She will be missed for her play on the field, but I admire her for completing her education here at NT and wish her the best after graduation.

GMG

• Upvote 4

It seems ironic to me that Taylor had, by far, her best season in that toxic environment. She hit .390 last year, about .120 more than the year before. Her play in the field was solid. She clearly excelled in adversity. 

She will be missed for her play on the field, but I admire her for completing her education here at NT and wish her the best after graduation.

GMG

Didn't her numbers decline, especially in the last half of the season?

My memory is that she hit well for average, but sustaining the incredible early-season HR pace would have been difficult in whatever environment she found herself. Going from .270 (and, I think .261 in her Fresh(wo)man year) to .390 over an entire season is a huge move.

For the record, I have no stake in this other than I am a fan of the program and want what is best for the team. With very little knowledge of the internal workings of the program, anything else on my part would be speculation and message board banter. 

That Taylor did what she did last year amidst what she deems toxic, and I have no reason to distrust her, is pretty impressive. 

GMG

Edited by untcampbell
  • Upvote 1

A bit dramatic?  We know of two ... 2 ... girls that left because of issues the the coaches.  That is not uncommon.  

With 8 players leaving with eligibilty left, I'd be wondering if the team quit on the coach, even if nobody had come forward. But we do know of 2... and not 2 who did not get to play enough either... of course you can assume that issues with the coaches etc was not at all the problem for the other 6. But I''d call that a courageous assumption. I assume there are more who had similar reasons to leave, but did not feel like discussing that publicly, which would be totally understandable. The number I remain concerned with is the 8 who left with eligbility remaining. No matter the reasons, that IS an uncommonly high number (basically half the team) and that DOES fall back on the coach if something even remotely similar happens next season.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

With 8 players leaving with eligibilty left, I'd be wondering if the team quit on the coach, even if nobody had come forward. But we do know of 2... and not 2 who did not get to play enough either... of course you can assume that issues with the coaches etc was not at all the problem for the other 6. But I''d call that a courageous assumption. I assume there are more who had similar reasons to leave, but did not feel like discussing that publicly, which would be totally understandable. The number I remain concerned with is the 8 who left with eligbility remaining. No matter the reasons, that IS an uncommonly high number (basically half the team) and that DOES fall back on the coach if something even remotely similar happens next season.

I can't argue with anything you said.  We really don't know exactly what happened.  I would expect this year Vito and others will be more observant of what happens with the softball team report what they see.  

• Upvote 1

With the preface that softball is my favorite NT sport outside of football, I am not interested in the politics of how this roster turned over. I am impressed that the athletes that left, for whatever reason, did so without a great deal of drama. Best wishes to some ladies I enjoyed watching play for my school. I hope that they complete their education here or elsewhere.

We have added 11 new players to the roster. By my count, we have FOUR players returning. I greatly admire the fab four, the Schkade sisters, Wade and Williams, for their commitment and leadership. Very proud of you ladies.

It appears Coach Kee busted butt to fill out next year's team. The headlines on these ladies indicate we have a great group coming on. One real positive that reflects well on the future: at least 5 of this team attended Freshman orientation, captured in a segment on MeanGreenSports.com.

Link to the new roster:

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/ntex-w-softbl-mtt.html

I am looking forward to seeing how Coach and her staff shape this team from here.

Now where do I get some of the cool Mean Green softball shirts I keep seeing?!

GMG

Good post Scott.  

Rick

BTW, the two players coming in from Aledo are two of the three top kids from that roster in what many believe may have been the most dominant softball team in high school history in a four year run..  In 2014 prior to the playoffs they had a scoring difference of 93-3.  The third girl, Rhiley Sartain, is possibly one of the top 5 in the nation, committed to A&M as a sophomore.  

But our two played in 4 straight title games for that team, winning the last two.  Crain's 4 year varsity HS pitching record is unbelievable and finished with (I'm guessing here) something like 74-5.  She works fast and throws strikes. If she is even close to as good at this level as she was in HS we're in for some fun.

I wished our MGS would update both kids' bios as they both are impressive.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

To continue to stress over the loss of 7or 8 players by several posters is an admittance that you have watched very little softball.

You know how many badasses you need to succeed I softball?   One....the pitcher.

Get one damn good pitcher and you can succeed.  Get one damn good pitcher and another who can close along with a stud third baseman/SS and a run to the NCAA's is very possible.  ULL has perfected this and so has every other successful program nationwide including ECU under Kee.

Rick

• Upvote 1

You know how many badasses you need to succeed I softball?   One....the pitcher.

No, you are correct, I am not an avid softball watcher.

And sure, if you define success solely as winning, then sure, I can see your point. If you factor in the experience of the "student athletes", then half of them not thinking it is worth staying on when they could, is concerning to me.

• Upvote 2

Softball is awesome and I can not wait till my two year old is old enough to play. I will coach her as long as I can. With that being said, watching the few games I did last season was a beating. I did not think they were playing too hard. It made me frustrated and I was in the stands or sitting at home. 

• Upvote 1

Softball is awesome and I can not wait till my two year old is old enough to play. I will coach her as long as I can. With that being said, watching the few games I did last season was a beating. I did not think they were playing too hard. It made me frustrated and I was in the stands or sitting at home. 

Here's a smart dad right here.  

A suggestion.  If you haven't already, purchase one of the countless brands of toy tee ball and bat sets and make up games for her to hit..(ie....can you hit one past that tree/swing set/whatever object is there).  When she does this consistently , turn her around, switch her hands on the bat and challenge her to do it again from the other side.  Switch hitting is a simple thing to learn if taught early.  Graduate to larger tee ball sets and remember to make a game of it,..not work.

Also, play catch with just hands for now of course, but teach her to step with the proper foot and correct her EVERYTIME and reward with excitement when she does it.   

Yeah she's two.  But if they're walking and playing, then they're old enough to learn these three things..   Baseball and the skills to play it is THE most difficult sport to teach a child.  Get your youngun doing these three things now,...hitting, catching and throwing with the proper step and it will blow your mind how much further along she will be when tee ball starts.  

Finally I'd say if she picks this up early go ahead and teach her to pitch the ball underhand and the steps taken to do this.  I'd go with the reverse K with no step at first and go from there.  Pitching underhand is actually easier than throwing overhand but feels strange at first doing it.   

Good of luck to you.  I hope it's as rewarding to you as it was for me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

Here's a smart dad right here.  

A suggestion.  If you haven't already, purchase one of the countless brands of toy tee ball and bat sets and make up games for her to hit..(ie....can you hit one past that tree/swing set/whatever object is there).  When she does this consistently , turn her around, switch her hands on the bat and challenge her to do it again from the other side.  Switch hitting is a simple thing to learn if taught early.  Graduate to larger tee ball sets and remember to make a game of it,..not work.

Also, play catch with just hands for now of course, but teach her to step with the proper foot and correct her EVERYTIME and reward with excitement when she does it.   

Yeah she's two.  But if they're walking and playing, then they're old enough to learn these three things..   Baseball and the skills to play it is THE most difficult sport to teach a child.  Get your youngun doing these three things now,...hitting, catching and throwing with the proper step and it will blow your mind how much further along she will be when tee ball starts.  

Finally I'd say if she picks this up early go ahead and teach her to pitch the ball underhand and the steps taken to do this.  I'd go with the reverse K with no step at first and go from there.  Pitching underhand is actually easier than throwing overhand but feels strange at first doing it.   

Good of luck to you.  I hope it's as rewarding to you as it was for me.

Rick

Great advice. Thanks

• Upvote 1

To continue to stress over the loss of 7or 8 players by several posters is an admittance that you have watched very little softball.

Get one damn good pitcher and you can succeed.  Get one damn good pitcher and another who can close along with a stud third baseman/SS and a run to the NCAA's is very possible.  ULL has perfected this and so has every other successful program nationwide including ECU under Kee.

Pitching is the name of the game in softball, however I am not sure that apples to the NT program situation.  Yes, if she can recruit better players then the ones who left she might right the program.  However, if whatever the problem is continues; than what's to say more turnover is not going to occur.   Also those heralded recruits were signed before the mass exodus.  

For example, Garcia was a very good high school pitcher and she struggled last year.  She may yet turn into a good college player but it is going to be somewhere else.  It's likes NT football depending on a freshman QB to come in and save the team.  Yes, it's possible but not likely. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Pitching is the name of the game in softball, however I am not sure that apples to the NT program situation.  Yes, if she can recruit better players then the ones who left she might right the program.  However, if whatever the problem is continues than what to say more turnover is not going to occur.   Also those heralded recruits were signed before the mass exodus.  

For example, Garcia was a very good high school pitcher and she struggled last year.  She may yet turn into a good college player but it is going to be somewhere else.  It likes NT football depending on a freshman QB to come in and save the team.  Yes, it's possible but not likely. 

yeah, we are going to need Lauren Crane to be more like Lauren Hager.

• 2 weeks later...

Pitching is the name of the game in softball, however I am not sure that apples to the NT program situation.  Yes, if she can recruit better players then the ones who left she might right the program.  However, if whatever the problem is continues; than what's to say more turnover is not going to occur.   Also those heralded recruits were signed before the mass exodus.  

For example, Garcia was a very good high school pitcher and she struggled last year.  She may yet turn into a good college player but it is going to be somewhere else.  It's likes NT football depending on a freshman QB to come in and save the team.  Yes, it's possible but not likely. 

If the problems of year two repeat in year three and four then we'll know and a change will need to be made.  And Garcia was a solid high school player, but not freakishly dominant like Crane.  

And I disagree on the pitcher to QB comparison as well.  There have been countless freshmen softball pitchers carry their team.  Locally and recently, Jordan Wallace, recruited right out from under our nose from Weatherford Texas by Louisiana Lafeyette, set the NCAA record for consecutive wins by a freshman pitcher winning her first 24 or 25 games and lead the Cajuns to the NCAA in 2011.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

If the problems of year two repeat in year three and four then we'll know and a change will need to be made.  And Garcia was a solid high school player, but not freakishly dominant like Crane.  

And I disagree on the pitcher to QB comparison as well.  There have been countless freshmen softball pitchers carry their team.  Locally and recently, Jordan Wallace, recruited right out from under our nose from Weatherford Texas by Louisiana Lafeyette, set the NCAA record for consecutive wins by a freshman pitcher winning her first 24 or 25 games and lead the Cajuns to the NCAA in 2011.

Rick

I am not downgrading Craine at all, she is a great recruit, but so was Garcia.  Garcia was 25-2 in a 6a classification her senior year and a second team AA.  Craine was 22-2 at 5a Aledo.  Not saying Garcia is better, but she certainly has  comparable high school numbers and she struggled her freshmen year.   

I hope you are right, but players like Wallace are obviously very rare.    

Rick

Saying LA-La recruited a softball player right out from under our nose is like saying the Longhorns recruited Jonathan Gray right out from under our nose.

• Upvote 2