99 members have voted

1. 1. UNT's Biggest Rival?

• SMU
    • Rice
    • UTSA
    • UTEP
    • La. Tech
    • Other

Who do you see as UNT's biggest rival in terms of where we are today?

I find it an interesting question.  My gut says SMU, but they would deny ever being our rival and rivalries are supposed to be a two way street.  Of course playing them the next 20 years will help in that regard.

I think UTSA would welcome being our rival and I think it makes a lot of sense given our conference and proximity etc but UNT90 and others, well you know,,,

La. Tech could be a great rivalry as well.

Let's hear your thoughts..

Edited by Harry

I had to vote other, for lack of the "None" option.

Sadly, after a hundred years of football, we have no rival. In my eyes a rivalry is an established series of games, and requires a fairly even number of wins on by both sides. I'd like to see us develop a true rivalry with Rice. Representing the two largest cities in Texas, this would be the most logical rivalry and it would be best for C-USA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

SSJ defined the rivalry concept well but I would add that the university communities, i.e. students, faculty, administration, alumni, of BOTH schools have to care for it to be a rivalry. Something magical has to happen at a game, a 7-OT shootout or a player coming off the sidelines to tackle an unopposed runner, that gets national headlines. Incidents, usually occurring late at night and would involve cops if known about as they happen, have to transpire. Since we have never painted Peruna (sp?) green and they haven't stolen the Model A, SMU doesn't count.

UTSA makes the most sense. Since they are relatively new opponents, perhaps we, the university communities of both schools, can build a rivalry as it should be, in attention-grabbing, back-and-forth fashion over the years.

That said, I chose SMU based simply on my internal desire to destroy that school on the football field. Join me?

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think it is SMU.

• We are close enough in proximity to bump elbows amongst fans.
  • We compete for recruits, all I hear about is SMU stole this kid or UNT stole this kid.
  • Our history goes way back to 1922, (Safeway bowl too) Yes I do realize their win ratio is bigger.

The problem is (and Harry already covered this) that SMU would rather plunge off a cliff before accepting us as a rival. I personally think they need to get off their high horse (or in their case, high pony) and realize that TCU has moved on to the power house and will be making Baylor and UT rivals. If they want to call TCU a rival, then I guess we should start talking smack talk to some horned frogs on their forums and spy on them.

UTSA is our best bet at both parties accepting a rivalry, but a rivalry starts by both teams having wins on each other. North Texas has to decide on Halloween, whether or not they can give UNT fans the satisfaction of a win against these roadrunners and get this UTSA squash train rolling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Taking a modern day approach to the SMU series, since the end of WWII and since the Ponies had to quit cheating, we are 3-3 against them.

Using the same criteria (post WWII and without the Governor making payments) vs Rice we are 2-3.

Against UTSA 0-2

UTEP 14-6-3

La Tech 6-7

The problem with creating a rival is that you have to play them on a regular basis.  In the last 70 years, we've hardly played any of these schools.

Still, I loathe the Geldings the most.

• Upvote 2

I hope a successful season doesn't hinge on beating Southern Meth.  I heard it said over and over on weekend sandlot football games, "Cheaters never win-Winners never cheat."  I'd just as soon drop them from our schedule except for the low travel cost and the sure win aspect. 

mark me down for UTSA.  Although, as Coach MaC has said, we have to win occasionally for this to be a rivalry.

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 1

I'm super smug from my 1500 sq ft mansion you guys. :D

But srs, the dynamic of the SMUNT relationship makes it very interesting and I could see it becoming one of the bigger G5 rivalries now that the series is scheduled out.

Not all SMU people are Smug but I would say more than 90% are

• Upvote 1

I picked SMU. I don't care that many SMU folks don't think it's one. Back when A&M was in the Big12, their most hated rival by far was UT. UT is even in their fight song - no mater whom they play, A&M still wants to saw Bevo's horns off! (I bet that's confusing for Alabama.) But for UT, it was a game just like Tech was a game. The RIVAL for UT since the 70s was OU, not A&M. 

• Upvote 3

I picked SMU. I don't care that many SMU folks don't think it's one. Back when A&M was in the Big12, their most hated rival by far was UT. UT is even in their fight song - no mater whom they play, A&M still wants to saw Bevo's horns off! (I bet that's confusing for Alabama.) But for UT, it was a game just like Tech was a game. The RIVAL for UT since the 70s was OU, not A&M. 

Then why is "and its goodbye to A&M" in the whorns' fight song?

• Upvote 1

In all seriousness, the school that views us as a huge rival is probably UTA, since we compete with them for Metroplex students and have played several years in basketball. UTSA probably likes us as a "rival" in football, since we are an in-state school that has some name recognition from fielding a team for decades, yet still haven't beat them (sad)...

• Upvote 1

No one at UNT views UTA as a rival. They don't have a football team so that is settled. UTA may see us as an enrollment rival...that's where that stops. Nothing more. Even bringing them, us and rival up in the same sentence is dumb. 

And as far as basketball goes...this is Texas. Football rules this roost. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2