Coach Mac

wardly

Season 1 was better than I expected, by 2 wins.

Season 2 was about what I expected.

Season 3 was way better than I expected.

Season 4 was a disappointment, no doubt.

I think that any coach taking over for a fired guy, you need to take honest stock of where he's starting from and what realistic expectations ought to be. 3 out of 4 years, he's done better than I expected coming out of the Dodge era. I wouldn't have thrown a long extension at him just for one winning season, but I definitely think he deserves to be here.

Now, from this year on? I'm not evaluating on the "rebuilding" curve any more. When you're taking over a team with 3 win talent and you win 5 games? That's significant, and I count it as a (qualified) success. But if you've been here long enough to be fielding a team of your own seniors? 5 wins isn't a success, even if you have 3 win talent. Because the talent is on you.

This year doesn't look promising. If we have a losing record, we damn sure better be in a bowl next year. And if we're not? Better invest in some asbestos panties, because the heat of your coaching chair better be hot enough to roast buttocks. Assuming you haven't been ejected from it already.

I agree with absolutely everything you posted here, TTG...except the last sentences. There is no way his seat gets hot until after the 2016 season, unless he wins a combined 2 games or less in back-to-back seasons. Even then, I doubt we are gonna buy him out before he has one last year left on his contract. I see 2017 bringing us three possible options, all of which are just about equal, in my opinion. One, Mac has a bad year, following three bad seasons, and gets fired at some point. Two, he has a bowl season in 2017 and gets another extension, just less than the one he just received, like a 2-3 year extension. Or Three, Mac announces he will retire at the end of 2018 and UNT lets him run out the clock on his complete contract.

I trust Mac to develop his lines and that his defense and special teams will keep getting better as they get stronger. I expect that our running game will get better by 2017. I also expect that his QB will be some combo of Derek Thompson/Mini Mac, a guy who doesn't get you killed with stupid turnovers, but cannot win you games on their shoulders. They will handoff 2/3rds of the time and throw short, safe passes on most dropbacks. If your running game and defense are outstanding and you create a lot of turnovers, you will get to a bowl game. If not, then you won't ever win more than 5 games. Whether we want to admit it or not, this season is all about development. If we win 5 games or more, Chico probably stays. If not, he goes. Then next year, you aim for #hit6 again. And finally, in 2017, you look at 7+ wins again as a real possibility, having stronger depth, bigger lines, and an experienced busdriver again.

TTG has already won this thread.  I agree with everything he said.  I'd add that when Mac stepped foot on campus, within a MONTH we were already a better team.  I still distinctly remember hearing the sound of pads popping at his first spring game and having that 'ah-ha' realization that I had heard very little of that sound in over 4 years at a UNT game or practice!  Also, he's responsible for the 2013 team---which was BY FAR my favorite UNT football team in 19 years of following the program.  Coupled with his results during home games and I still like Mac a lot.  I'm pulling hard for him.  

That said, this year looks like another toughone to get through unless we find a QB and a couple more playmakers capable of breaking a play every once in a while.  The hard truth of college football means that even the good coaches get fired if/when they go through a prolonged QB recruiting drought (the length of the drought allowable is usually directly proportional to the football team's budget).

• Upvote 2

The low expectations on this board is helpful in explaining why NT is what it is.

Rick

As much as I hate to say it hit 6 may be the realistic goal for this schedule Rick.  I don't agree or appreciate your statement that we have low expectations here.  We've had one winning season in a decade. Think about that.  I think our fans still hanging in there and putting their hard earned dollars and time toward this program are the least of our issues.

As much as I hate to say it hit 6 may be the realistic goal for this schedule Rick.  I don't agree or appreciate your statement that we have low expectations here.  We've had one winning season in a decade. Think about that.  I think our fans still hanging in there and putting their hard earned dollars and time toward this program are the least of our issues.

Besides being off the first week of the season, this is not a difficult schedule. 

6 wins should not  be a realistic goal, especially in year 5.  But I appreciate you making my point for me.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I can't find 6 wins. We have a terrible road record, and this year only So. Miss. and SMU look winnable.At home, Portland State,UTEP, and UTSA look like our best opportunities. In summary, 2015 looks like a repeat of 2014 to me, and that might be a stretch.

• Upvote 2

Can this trope just die? 

if you don't think the expectations, indignation and general morale of an internet fan board directly affect the performance of a university's athletic program, then I just don't think you understand collegiate athletics. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

If you really think that Mac is content with 6 wins... you are silly. He wants to hit that base number to become bowl eligible, but I would be willing to bet my little pay check that if you gave Mac the option of a season goal of Conference championship or 6 wins he'd pick Conference championship.  They certainly did not "mail it in" in 2013 once they hit their goal, they continued to press on. 

• Upvote 2

While I appreciate the spirited dialect, this game we all love called college football is about one thing: THE MIGHTY DOLLAR. While i really do appreciate the enthusiasm and the lashing out at the only other die-hards our small, but fiercely loyal, fan base has until any of you are willing to take your hard earned dollars to a value i'm going to assume most here don't make, then we won't be some college powerhouse buying out coaching contracts early or ousting a complacent AD. We all buy tickets to the games and we all love to watch and speculate this game and our team. You're not better fan because you get more butt hurt and yell louder. Want more? Buy more.

Athletic Department Money goes into one thing at North Texas at the moment and that's facilities. From athletic to academic, that's what this administration is focused on spending and developing. new stadium, new union, new Business Building, new dorms. At some point you have to realize magic wishing and spouting off about complacency aren't catalyst for change, unless you're willing to back those big f'n mouths of yours with equally big checkbooks. And as we know by our donation numbers, ya aint.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

Yep, I will be sure to get right on that with my MS TEACHER/COACH SALARY three years out of graduating college and paying back 19,000 in student loans.  For now, I will voice displeasure here, and when the time comes and I can do it, financially, but you better believe when I do that I will make sure my voice is heard.  That, or my money will quit coming in. 

• Upvote 5