Coach Mac

wardly

How does he keep his job? One winning season with his predecessor's kids, complains about attendance to deflect from his record, can't recruit, picked nearly last in the west after 4 seasons. Hoe do he do it?

Incompetence at AD is how. Mac could LITERALLY go 0-12 and not shit will be done. He knows it, AD knows it, Prez knows it, fans know it. It's the unfortunate reality we are in. Some morons (no offense to whoever you are) on here have already created the narrative of "we could be way better this year and still have the same record as last year." I guarantee you that has already been noted and filed away by Brett Vito to use come December 1st so he can keep to his premeditated attempt at journalism. Then that same narrative will bleed over into the athletic department, president's office and the BOR. It's a cycle of sucking because there are no administrators within our athletic department or university with cahonies to take the bull by the horns. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 14

My patience is growing thin and I think I have posted enough about our results in recruiting lately but at the same time expectations were as low as possible coming in to 2013 and we could very well make a similar jump again this season. I am holding out hope that will be the case and our worries will be put aside by a staff a lot of people have lost faith in. We must make it to a bowl game this season or I am ready to move on, two bowl games in 5 years is not much to ask.

• Upvote 2

the way some of you guys talk on here makes me believe that you have no concept of our reality. Mac will get every opportunity to take this program further and her fully deserves that. have some perspective is all I am saying. If we fire a coach in the middle of the process, besides not being able to afford to do that in the first place because of shitty fan support, who the hell do you think will come replace him and do better? No one wants this job dude. at least no one who would be able to do it right. let the man do his job and judge him when it is appropriate to do so.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2016 will be the year we have another bowl season. I hope Mac and Canales will both be around for it. This season we will still be dealing with cloudy judgment. Our judgment will become clear again 11/29/15. That's when I will get really enthusiastic about the cuffs coming off and the winning to begin again.

the way some of you guys talk on here makes me believe that you have no concept of our reality. Mac will get every opportunity to take this program further and her fully deserves that. have some perspective is all I am saying. If we fire a coach in the middle of the process, besides not being able to afford to do that in the first place because of shitty fan support, who the hell do you think will come replace him and do better? No one wants this job dude. at least no one who would be able to do it right. let the man do his job and judge him when it is appropriate to do so.

Sure, maybe I am along with others are jumping the gun, but I doubt it. We can't recruit. This staff has shown that it can't recruit in the top 1/3 tier of our own conference. I do not know what makes you think that we are going to have prolonged success while only being able to snag up 5-8 recruits a year that have more than us as an offer list. Our recruiting is telling us our future, not our on the field results. If. you. can't. recruit. you. can't. win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Season 1 was better than I expected, by 2 wins. 

Season 2 was about what I expected. 

Season 3 was way better than I expected. 

Season 4 was a disappointment, no doubt. 

I think that any coach taking over for a fired guy, you need to take honest stock of where he's starting from and what realistic expectations ought to be. 3 out of 4 years, he's done better than I expected coming out of the Dodge era. I wouldn't have thrown a long extension at him just for one winning season, but I definitely think he deserves to be here. 

Now, from this year on? I'm not evaluating on the "rebuilding" curve any more. When you're taking over a team with 3 win talent and you win 5 games? That's significant, and I count it as a (qualified) success. But if you've been here long enough to be fielding a team of your own seniors? 5 wins isn't a success, even if you have 3 win talent. Because the talent is on you. 

This year doesn't look promising. If we have a losing record, we damn sure better be in a bowl next year. And if we're not? Better invest in some asbestos panties, because the heat of your coaching chair better be hot enough to roast buttocks. Assuming you haven't been ejected from it already. 

It's not that we didn't win much last year, the team as a whole looked lost, no confidence, scared, beaten, and they flat out looked like they and the coaching staff gave up at times. I don't give a damn if it's a first year coach or one with 20 years experience, that is totally unacceptable. Quit making excuses, Mac and staff havent delivered. Doesn't matter what happened with Dodge or DD,  Mac and staff aren't producing like they should. No employer would accept that performance in the workplace, not sure why NT alum do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's not that we didn't win much last year, the team as a whole looked lost, no confidence, scared, beaten, and they flat out looked like they and the coaching staff gave up at times. I don't give a damn if it's a first year coach or one with 20 years experience, that is totally unacceptable. Quit making excuses, Mac and staff havent delivered. Doesn't matter what happened with Dodge or DD,  Mac and staff aren't producing like they should. No employer would accept that performance in the workplace, not sure why NT alum do. 

Defense showed up against UT but just couldn't stay off the field due to atrocious quarterback play. I think watching the offense just wore them down.

• Upvote 1

TTG pretty much got it right, IMO.  At this point these are all his guys, his staff, his recruits, his program. It's put up or shut up time for Mac and he has 2 seasons to show me something. No matter what side of the Mean Green fan spectrum you're on, KRAM's or UNT90's, you can't deny this season is looking to be Mac's most challenging of his tenure.

• Upvote 1

Tap the brakes...let's revisit this question after the season is over.

I would normally agree with you, except for the fact that nothing will be revisited after this season. 

The AD knows that he will be getting rid of a basketball coach sometime during or at the end of the upcoming season. He can't also fire a football coach the same college year. 

Aint. Gonna. Happen.

Especially at UNT.

Be prepared to suck until the 5 or 6 big donors open their eyes and realize this program is going nowhere with this AD. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I would normally agree with you, except for the fact that nothing will be revisited after this season. 

The AD knows that he will be getting rid of a basketball coach sometime during or at the end of the upcoming season. He can't also fire a football coach the same college year. 

Aint. Gonna. Happen.

Especially at UNT.

Be prepared to suck until the 5 or 6 big donors open their eyes and realize this program is going nowhere with this AD. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. 

You know, I've wondered about this for some time. How can people who have achieved the level of financial success that one assumes "big donors" have achieved tolerate the "bottom line" that our AD has produced regarding attendance and coaching hires. What were those numbers that Cerebus posted about our MGC numbers in relation to the number of graduates during the same time frame (850/76000 over 14 years)?  How many "successful" business men would allow a manager to put up those kind of sales numbers before they "moved in another direction"?

Is the standard excuse "oh well, it's North Texas after all" accepted even by people who know how to run a successful business?

• Upvote 2

You know, I've wondered about this for some time. How can people who have achieved the level of financial success that one assumes "big donors" have achieved tolerate the "bottom line" that our AD has produced regarding attendance and coaching hires. What were those numbers that Cerebus posted about our MGC numbers in relation to the number of graduates during the same time frame (850/76000 over 14 years)?  How many "successful" business men would allow a manager to put up those kind of sales numbers before they "moved in another direction"?

Is the standard excuse "oh well, it's North Texas after all" accepted even by people who know how to run a successful business?

I'm sure they are told constantly how "special" UNT's circumstances are and how it's just such a "challenge" to grow athletics at UNT. 

Maybe they should consider the AD is a large part of the reason for the "special" and "challenge" in the above sentence.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

I'm sure they are told constantly how "special" UNT's circumstances are and how it's just such a "challenge" to grow athletics at UNT. 

Maybe be they should consider the AD is a large part of the reason for the "special" and "challenge" in the above sentence.

Come on man, don't be so inflexible. You have to give the guy a chance to come in and implement his plan. After all, it's only been 14+ years to get things turned around. Look at the bright side, he is better than Hewlig, we do have tailgating now,  just like every division 1 University has. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Come on man, don't be so inflexible. You have to give the guy a chance to come in and implement his plan. After all, it's only been 14+ years to get things turned around. Look at the bright side, he is better than Hewlig, we do have tailgating now,  just like every division 1 University has. 

I think both major men's sports have gone through 2 generations of coaching staffs and the fans are still being told (by coaches and AD) there is some locker room cancer to address.

Frustrating!

Edited by greenminer

I think both major men's sports have gone through 2 generations of coaching staffs and the fans are still being told (by coaches and AD) there is some locker room cancer to address.
Frustrating!

maybe the consideration of an administration cancer should be considered.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1