From reddit, a picture of the Denton courthouse in 1928

Uh, no.  When he moved to Coahuila y Tejas it was very much illegal in Mexico.   

Accepted in American society, and Mexico had plenty of indentured servants themselves, so their outlawing of slavery was fairly hypocritical. 

So ...

Monuments of slave owners == Acceptable

Civil War Monuments for Confederate Soldiers == Bad

Lets also try to keep in mind that many of the soldiers who fought in the civil war likely didn't even own slaves.

I'm not gonna pretend like slavery was anything besides what it was, abhorrent, but at some point when honoring the history of this country there's gotta be a line drawn. For all the faults the founding fathers may have had: owning slaves, discrimination against women, allowing only landowners to vote, they were still enlightened thinkers of their time, and they were still responsible for creating a Republic that was more representative of the people. I don't however, see it fit to honor soldiers or politicians who willingly sought to secede from the very Union they were supposed to have an oath to. Those are traitors in my book, and should be recognized as such. 

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Downvote 1

When I originally posted this, I just thought it was a cool picture.  

If you want to see cool pictures, go to The Portal to Texas History and search for the courthouse, or anything else you want.  Here's a link to the picture of the 1876 Courthouse:

9lmWQrl.jpg

Either they made windows and doors of enormous size in 1876, or Denton county was settled by the Lollipop Guild.  

If you want to see cool pictures, go to The Portal to Texas History and search for the courthouse, or anything else you want.  Here's a link to the picture of the 1876 Courthouse:

9lmWQrl.jpg

Either they made windows and doors of enormous size in 1876, or Denton county was settled by the Lollipop Guild.  

Those are just air conditioning circa 1876.