Former UTSA standout says players have embraced a ‘new era’

Harry

SAN ANTONIO — Now working as a financial advisor for New York Life, former UTSA cornerback Darrien Starling reported Tuesday that he had a “huge month” in June, winning a few awards within his office for success in helping clients with insurance and retirement planning and tax matters.

In that regard, it might be wise to heed his advice on another issue outside the world of finance.

Starling, a former four-year starter for the Roadrunners, said he isn’t buying into preseason forecasts that have pegged UTSA for a last-place finish in Conference USA West division.

“I’ve been around the team a little bit,” said Starling, who graduated with a degree in communication last December.  “I’ve been hanging out a lot with (starting cornerback) Bennett (Okothca).   Actually, Bennett was at my house yesterday.  So, I’ve been keeping real close ties to the team, and everybody’s confident … I don’t know, the confidence around this team is unique.”

As Year 5 of the UTSA football start-up experiment beckons, a certain energy is apparent.

With 37 seniors having exhausted their eligibility last fall, the Roadrunners are turning the page in the history of the program.  Players on the current roster have taken the baton from former players like Starling and are sprinting into what he calls “a new era.”

“They’re really embracing the new theme this year, which is them being in the new era,” Starling said.  “It’s really nice to see these guys embrace this new mystique and go forward.   I’m really confident.  Talking to Bennett a lot, and getting his feel on the team, he’s super confident, and I know the talent we have.”

read more:  http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2015/07/former-utsa-standout-says-players-have-embraced-a-new-era/

Edited by Harry

What's he gonna say, that he has a bad feeling about things?

seriously, I bet our team thought they were high and mighty going into 2014.

Good point.  It does him no good to diminish the teams chances when his coverage relies on interest.  Down seasons have an effect on support and coverage.