Chances against the Vols

DeepGreen

Well we get them in their 10th game so I doubt experience will matter much by then. Getting to play them while they are in the middle of a tough SEC conference schedule probably gives us more of a chance than their youth. We get them after a home game against South Carolina and right before a trip to Mizzou. Id put our chances of winning at 10% right now. 

We aren't going to win this game. If the score is respectable, I will know the program is headed in the right direction as far as athleticism of the players. Just watched Tennessee's bowl game last year and we will be completely outmatched athletically at every position, not really even close. now, if the coaches go down there with a great game plan that the Tennessee guys have no answer for (doubtful) we may have a chance. But if they wanna do the line up and run it down your throat style of offense, we are screwed. I'd be surprised if we get to 100 yards rushing as a team in that case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As far as match-ups against the name opponents we've had over the past few years go, Tennessee won't be as good as Georgia in 2013, but they'll be better than Texas in 2014. And they'll likely be better than Iowa in 2015. 

As has already been stated, inexperience won't matter as much that deep into the season. With a tough schedule, they'll be hungry for a win. For us, the ideal scenario is to have a game-changer at the QB position that has enough games under his belt to make it an interesting one...  

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to make any predictions until the season starts. I know it is far more likely the Vols are going to take the win. But I want to see how we match up for the first two games of the season. And especially how we do against Iowa. yes Iowa isn't as talented as the vols, but I feel Iowa will strongly dictate what our team might look like against Tenessee.

They return 10 starters on offense and 9 starters on defense (including two players who had over 10 sacks) from a team that annihilated Iowa in the bowl game, and we lost all 3 all-conference players from a team that was 0-6 on the road last year. The best team record wise that we've beaten on the road under Coach Mccarney was 4-8 La Tech in 2013 when we had our bowl team.

Let's worry about playing good football and finding a way to win any road game before then.

• Upvote 2

If we win this game:

- Mac gets a ten year extension

- RV schedules THREE paycheck games a year "because of that one time against Tennessee"

- KRAM will have "It was all because I cared so deeply" tattooed across his stomach Tupac style

- The school will change every billboard to read "Discover the power of beating Tennessee" or "UNT: Your Green Light To Whoop Tennessee's Ass"

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

We aren't going to win this game. If the score is respectable, I will know the program is headed in the right direction as far as athleticism of the players. Just watched Tennessee's bowl game last year and we will be completely outmatched athletically at every position, not really even close. now, if the coaches go down there with a great game plan that the Tennessee guys have no answer for (doubtful) we may have a chance. But if they wanna do the line up and run it down your throat style of offense, we are screwed. I'd be surprised if we get to 100 yards rushing as a team in that case.

yeah that worked so bad against Georgia... 

• Downvote 1

If we win this game:

- Mac gets a ten year extension

- RV schedules THREE paycheck games a year "because of that one time against Tennessee"

- KRAM will have "It was all because I cared so deeply" tattooed across his stomach Tupac style

- The school will change every billboard to read "Discover the power of beating Tennessee" or "UNT: Your Green Light To Whoop Tennessee's Ass"

Kram I have a tattoo machine in my truck. If we win, you want me to do that tattoo at the alumni pavilion?

we only scored 1 offensive TD against GA and lost by 24. So...

Exactly. And that touchdown was a passing one.

We want to line up and pound the ball, but you can't do that against these teams. In the 4 money games of the Mccarney era (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas) we have rushed for a a grand total of zero touchdowns. If you're the little guy you have to be able to pass the ball to have a chance.

We want to line up and pound the ball, but you can't do that against these teams. In the 4 money games of the Mccarney era (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Texas) we have rushed for a a grand total of zero touchdowns. If you're the little guy you have to be able to pass the ball to have a chance.

Gotta have a QB worth something to pass the ball effectively.
catch_22.gif

• Upvote 1

Or be a true option team like a Navy or Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern beat Florida without completing a pass. If you're a little team you have to be dynamic in one area and good enough in the other area to keep teams honest. Honestly if you're a dynamic running team it better be a spread running style with an athletic QB. 

This isn't the year we win a money game.  It's probably not the decade we win a money game.  Not even sure if it's the century we win a money game, although I will thankfully not live to see that unfold.

To the players.  Please, by all means, read this, get pissed off, and prove me so very, very wrong.  Please.  I would love nothing more.

Gotta have a QB worth something to pass the ball effectively.
catch_22.gif

For sure. Just saying that lining up in the I and trying to pound the ball while not relying much on the passing game (or not having a QB to rely on) against a legit power conference team is just not a formula that has proven successful.

Or be a true option team like a Navy or Georgia Southern. Georgia Southern beat Florida without completing a pass. If you're a little team you have to be dynamic in one area and good enough in the other area to keep teams honest. Honestly if you're a dynamic running team it better be a spread running style with an athletic QB. 

True, although that Florida team was not even a bowl team, unlike the Tennessee team will likely be. But you're right, that misdirection and play execution gave them a chance when they otherwise wouldn't have. They still didn't have to rely heavily on lining up and out-manning that Florida team straight up, even though they weren't throwing. 

Edited by BillySee58