Current 247 team rankings (7/16/15)

Here are the current team rankings:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

They currently have our recruiting class ranked 129th, and 13th out of 13 CUSA schools. Keep in mind, there are only 128 FBS schools. This list includes recruiting classes of all division 1 schools, including FCS. Schools like Eastern Michigan, Yale, Harvard, New Mexico State, Austin Peay, Columbia, James Madison, Elonc and Louisiana Monroe are all ranked ahead of us.

It's been a very uneventful recruiting cycle, with many offers going out to kids we have little to no shot at. Very early, but it looks like this staff is just behind the times when it comes to recruiting.

• Upvote 7

Here are the current team rankings:

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

They currently have our recruiting class ranked 129th, and 13th out of 13 CUSA schools. Keep in mind, there are only 128 FBS schools. This list includes recruiting classes of all division 1 schools, including FCS. Schools like Eastern Michigan, Yale, Harvard, New Mexico State, Austin Peay, Columbia, James Madison, Elonc and Louisiana Monroe are all ranked ahead of us.

It's been a very uneventful recruiting cycle, with many offers going out to kids we have little to no shot at. Very early, but it looks like this staff is just behind the times when it comes to recruiting.

Well that certainly bodes well for the future.  Apparently we can no longer get quality players to sign with North Texas.  It's been our problem all along.  Question is, why can't we recruit well?

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3

how is Kliff doing at Tech?

If he could recruit the ladies to his team he'd be doing great.  That's the only recruiting area where he has shown he can score!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

I have completely stopped following recruiting, part of that is due to having a career and not as much free time as I used to and part of it is the only time I expect us to get a commitment is if we are their only offer. To me it only makes sense to follow Vito's blog, read the articles when the commits do come in and then start paying attention in late November around the time JUCO's start setting up visits. It seems like after striking out with almost every prospect who had more than one offer we scour the senior class for overlooked players to fill the scholarships in December-January. IIRC Dodge used to wait until a prospects senior year to put out offers, add some JUCO players and then round up whoever else has no other options for FBS football. Mac gets a lot of credit for the camps he runs and how much more visible we are to recruits and parents in younger classes yet we are still seeing the same results in recruiting. North Texas scouring for players in January after missing out on most of the players they offered in the spring.

I hope I am proven wrong this season and Mac turns this thing around, but I'm beginning to think we hired extended the wrong guy.

• Upvote 3

What the hell is Elon?

It's a tiny little private school out in North Carolina. 

I have completely stopped following recruiting, part of that is due to having a career and not as much free time as I used to and part of it is the only time I expect us to get a commitment is if we are their only offer. To me it only makes sense to follow Vito's blog, read the articles when the commits do come in and then start paying attention in late November around the time JUCO's start setting up visits. It seems like after striking out with almost every prospect who had more than one offer we scour the senior class for overlooked players to fill the scholarships in December-January. IIRC Dodge used to wait until a prospects senior year to put out offers, add some JUCO players and then round up whoever else has no other options for FBS football. Mac gets a lot of credit for the camps he runs and how much more visible we are to recruits and parents in younger classes yet we are still seeing the same results in recruiting. North Texas scouring for players in January after missing out on most of the players they offered in the spring.

I hope I am proven wrong this season and Mac turns this thing around, but I'm beginning to think we hired extended the wrong guy.

It appears we are again going heavy JUCO in this class.  That is fine as long as it works. JUCO guys need a home too and why not make North Texas the JUCO destination of choice. We just have to win with them to show it's worth their time. What would be absolutely fantastic if we could sneak a JUCO guy into the NFL, better yet into the NFL draft. That would be a hot selling topic. Combs, at 6'4" 260 paired with 4.6 speed, might be our saving grace for that to happen. His stats and his intangibles the next 2 years will have to be off the charts, but it's a possibility. 

• Upvote 1

It's a tiny little private school out in North Carolina. 

It appears we are again going heavy JUCO in this class.  That is fine as long as it works. JUCO guys need a home too and why not make North Texas the JUCO destination of choice. We just have to win with them to show it's worth their time. What would be absolutely fantastic if we could sneak a JUCO guy into the NFL, better yet into the NFL draft. That would be a hot selling topic. Combs, at 6'4" 260 paired with 4.6 speed, might be our saving grace for that to happen. His stats and his intangibles the next 2 years will have to be off the charts, but it's a possibility. 

But Mac said when he was hired UNT would build with HS recruits...

So UNT is either doing terribly in recruiting (even worse than previous years), doing stealth recruiting that DD would be proud of, or Mac knows we will be bad this year and is going the Juco route out of desperation (which I really don't think is happening). 

None are a sign of future success.

• Upvote 1

But Mac said when he was hired UNT would build with HS recruits...

So UNT is either doing terribly in recruiting (even worse than previous years), doing stealth recruiting that DD would be proud of, or Mac knows we will be bad this year and is going the Juco route out of desperation (which I really don't think is happening). 

None are a sign of future success.

I don't care what Mac does as long as he produces. Juco, HS whatever. Just win. And we are getting crucified in recruiting and it's not even funny. It's very apparent and at a real program the HC would have already addressed the issue publicly. At UNT fans are kept in the dark because the reality of it is that not enough people give a damn. So, why would the athletic department shine a light on a very sore spot when there isn't enough public pressure for them to even double take the displeasure. If recruiting was this putrid at a respectable program the HC would be given a noose and a pogo stick. 

• Upvote 1

I don't care what Mac does as long as he produces. Juco, HS whatever. Just win. And we are getting crucified in recruiting and it's not even funny. It's very apparent and at a real program the HC would have already addressed the issue publicly. At UNT fans are kept in the dark because the reality of it is that not enough people give a damn. So, why would the athletic department shine a light on a very sore spot when there isn't enough public pressure for them to even double take the displeasure. If recruiting was this putrid at a respectable program the HC would be given a noose and a pogo stick. 

Either way he's going to have to win recruiting battles. JUCO players get very good exposure at most JUCO football programs, so if you want a good player you'll have to outrecruit some other schools, just like the good high school players in the metroplex. If you look at the JUCOs who have done well for us under Mccarney they had good offer lists.

James Jones had offers from schools like Houston and Mississippi State and Andrew Power had offers from schools like Memphis and, at one point, Tennessee. You have to in order to get the good ones who can actually help you win games and rely on.

• Upvote 1

This has become interesting, embarrassingly so, to follow.

We are now down to 139th in the country on 247. We are 125th out of 128 FBS schools (ahead of New Mexico, Georgia State, and Idaho), with 14 FCS schools ahead of us. We are also 13th out of 13 in CUSA, and 12th out of 12 FBS schools in Texas, and 13th overall with FCS Sam Houston State ahead of us as well. This staff really needs to pick it up.

• Upvote 3

It's truly is embarrassing. Not a peep out of the athletic department either. They act as if we can't see the piss poor job that they are doing. 

Well, technically they can't comment on recruiting whether it's going good or bad, so that's not exactly a valid complaint. But still, whether we use "Plan Powder" or not, things have to pick up from the coaches end. Hoping players fall in your lap is not a great strategy by itself. Still have to get the kids other schools want.

Well, technically they can't comment on recruiting whether it's going good or bad, so that's not exactly a valid complaint. But still, whether we use "Plan Powder" or not, things have to pick up from the coaches end. Hoping players fall in your lap is not a great strategy by itself. Still have to get the kids other schools want.

I'm pretty sure they can comment on recruiting in general. They just can't go into detail. 

I am worried for sure, but wouldn't most of you be complaining or arguing that it's just a verbal hell prob flip if said team comes along blah blah blah. 

I agree reed our recruiting has lacked, SMU so far is kicking our teeth in, Houston is kicking our teeth in, let's see if those recruits hold.  One thing I do know is that east Tx just got harder to recruit with the two afore mentioned schools stepping up their game. 

• Upvote 1

I am worried for sure, but wouldn't most of you be complaining or arguing that it's just a verbal hell prob flip if said team comes along blah blah blah. 

I agree reed our recruiting has lacked, SMU so far is kicking our teeth in, Houston is kicking our teeth in, let's see if those recruits hold.  One thing I do know is that east Tx just got harder to recruit with the two afore mentioned schools stepping up their game. 

Not if we were getting commits with good offer lists. Yeah you may lose a commit here or there as we get closer to signing day, but if you are winning recruiting battles then you can get another well-recruited player to fill that spot. 

2 commits is the surface issue, but the big picture issue is inability to sell the program to recruits to the point that they pull the trigger despite having other schools recruiting them and months remaining to play out the recruiting cycle and seek more offers.

I'm pretty sure they can comment on recruiting in general. They just can't go into detail. 

There are no general recruiting comments being made by any school's athletic departments right now about recruiting. None of them touch recruiting until they get signed LOIs.

• Upvote 1

There are no general recruiting comments being made by any school's athletic departments right now about recruiting. None of them touch recruiting until they get signed LOIs.

Items like @GMG24 posted aren't uncommon. I know Florida's coach will tweet Chomp Chomp when they get a new verbal. In keeping with the rules he never comments on who committed until the player signs his LOI.

Edited by Army of Dad