Current 247 team rankings (7/16/15)

Speaking of the Gators, they are wrecking shop. Jumped 12 spots in recruiting in the matter of 48 hours. Doesn't hurt having 30 4&5 star players on campus for a camp. 

North Texas needs to address the recruiting deficiencies. It would at least clear a little air. As much as I hate the CoA, I think it might boost our recruiting when a concrete number is released and recruits know that North Texas is seriously on board. 

• Upvote 2

This has become interesting, embarrassingly so, to follow.

We are now down to 139th in the country on 247. We are 125th out of 128 FBS schools (ahead of New Mexico, Georgia State, and Idaho), with 14 FCS schools ahead of us. We are also 13th out of 13 in CUSA, and 12th out of 12 FBS schools in Texas, and 13th overall with FCS Sam Houston State ahead of us as well. This staff really needs to pick it up.

Of all of the discouraging topics that you see on this site, only recruiting really bums me out. We can turn around most others quickly, be it bad coaching, bad uniforms, bad schedules, but recruiting takes years.

Edited by MeanGreenHoops
  • Upvote 1

Items like @GMG24 posted aren't uncommon. I know Florida's coach will tweet Chomp Chomp when they get a new verbal. In keeping with the rules he never comments on who committed until the player signs his LOI.

Right, but you guys are talking about the actual coaches. Ben said the athletic department. Sure coaches tweet general tweets about getting a commit all the time, but you aren't going to see a general release by the AD, say, through meangreensports.com talking about how recruiting is going.

Right, but you guys are talking about the actual coaches. Ben said the athletic department. Sure coaches tweet general tweets about getting a commit all the time, but you aren't going to see a general release by the AD, say, through meangreensports.com talking about how recruiting is going.

absolutely, I was just seeing what your thoughts were, also noticed Morris tip toes that line as well. Both get about as close as you can. Summing has his yessir hashtag, and others do to. Seems to me, we are getting left behind in the virtual world, I follow multiple UNT coaches on Twitter and other than KP they all seem to be run by a robot. That's lame. 

I have a solution to our problems, bring Dodge back for recruiting purposes only, or hell even coach QBs the guy can coach, he just can't run a D1 team... Just saying. Where did our great team come from? Ahhh yes the senior class of Dodge.

• Upvote 2

I'm in the party of bringing Dodge in as the recruiting coordinator. He knows his way around North Texas. Given McCarney's success in 2013 with dominantly all Dodge recruits paints a vivid picture. He could sell North Texas and more importantly he had or hopefully still has good relationships with a lot of coaches in the area. We are getting absolutely drilled in recruiting and it's not getting near enough attention from people on here. This years class along with next years class is going to be very important for our next HC bc something tells me Mac won't be here when the 2016 and 2017 classes are jrs & srs. Mac is giving the next HC a great cop out and probably a warranted one. 

absolutely, I was just seeing what your thoughts were, also noticed Morris tip toes that line as well. Both get about as close as you can. Summing has his yessir hashtag, and others do to. Seems to me, we are getting left behind in the virtual world, I follow multiple UNT coaches on Twitter and other than KP they all seem to be run by a robot. That's lame. 

I have a solution to our problems, bring Dodge back for recruiting purposes only, or hell even coach QBs the guy can coach, he just can't run a D1 team... Just saying. Where did our great team come from? Ahhh yes the senior class of Dodge.

I don't think Dodge was some kind of abnormally good recruiter. He was good, and he certainly brought in recruits with better offer lists than Mccarney has for the most part, despite recruiting to Fouts and going 2-10. And they did go on to become good players and live up to their offer lists. I just don't think it takes Todd Dodge to get those recruits.

I also think we have decent recruiters on this staff (Perry, Patrick, etc). It doesn't matter how close a recruit is to their personal recruiter. If they can't develop a relationship with the head coach then why would they sign up to play for him? Maybe I'm way off, but I think the problem starts and ends with the head coach. Although I do think the staff as a whole does need to be much more active on Twitter.

• Upvote 5

@BillySee58 so are currently sitting at 16 open scholarships technically 17 with Ochs gone? That's all we can offer this cycle? They better have a better hit percentage than the current senior class....sheesh

No, we have 15 scholarship seniors but we also currently have just 80 (by my and NorthTexan95's count) total scholarship players on our roster out of a possible 85. So that's 5 more spots right there. There may be another few walkons who get awarded scholarships in fall camp, but when you also include players who quit, transfer out, etc by the 2016 season we have plenty of spots.

This time last year we had around 17 scholarships seniors and about 80 scholarship players total and we still ended up signing a full 25 players in our 2015 signing class. Even after that full class we're still 5 scholarships short heading into the this season. So we have plenty of room for this 2016 class.

Why would recruiting be "very slow" this year as compared to last year or thr year before or any other year? Where is Vito getting his information and what is the reasoning for the obvious downfall in recruiting (not as if we had an upswing in previous years). 

He's just saying he expects us to go with what he calls "plan powder" where we save up most of our spots for the end of the cycle. Then we go after the players who waited out the process and waited too long where some of their offers are no longer on the table, players whose stock has dropped, etc. Then go after those guys rather than focus as much on early recruiting when most of a recruits offers are still valid.

• Upvote 1

No, we have 15 scholarship seniors but we also currently have just 80 (by my and NorthTexan95's count) total scholarship players on our roster out of a possible 85. So that's 5 more spots right there. There may be another few walkons who get awarded scholarships in fall camp, but when you also include players who quit, transfer out, etc by the 2016 season we have plenty of spots.

This time last year we had around 17 scholarships seniors and about 80 scholarship players total and we still ended up signing a full 25 players in our 2015 signing class. Even after that full class we're still 5 scholarships short heading into the this season. So we have plenty of room for this 2016 class.

He's just saying he expects us to go with what he calls "plan powder" where we save up most of our spots for the end of the cycle. Then we go after the players who waited out the process and waited too long where some of their offers are no longer on the table, players whose stock has dropped, etc. Then go after those guys rather than focus as much on early recruiting when most of a recruits offers are still valid.

So in other words go after the guys no one REALLY wanted? Seems legit. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, even if we're recruiting well I still like the idea of saving a few spots for guys like that in January and into signing day (Dillman and Chumley are a couple of examples). That being said, I don't think that strategy can carry your recruiting class alone when you're not winning recruiting battles well.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, even if we're recruiting well I still like the idea of saving a few spots for guys like that in January and into signing day (Dillman and Chumley are a couple of examples). That being said, I don't think that strategy can carry your recruiting class alone when you're not winning recruiting battles well.

Not a fan of that "strategy." Seems like a one way ticket to irrelevance. 

not all of them, just a few for high quality late qualifiers and/or guys like billy described

Exactly. As long as it's just a part of our strategy then it's a good idea. Relying too much on that isn't. As long as we're in CUSA we should take advantage of kids like that taking up a spot or two each class.