MGB: Key UNT OL leaves program

Brett Vito

Seems he is leaving college all together for the moment. Maybe if the family can work out whatever the issue is, in a year or so, he can come back. Sounds like doors would not be closed.

Running the family farm at this young age is not an easy gig, is a lot of responsibility. Good luck.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Big ouch.

Not sure what Barr's natural positions are, but would this be an opening for him?

Barr can play both center and Guard but he is our back up center and will remain such. the good thing is that we have other guys that are probably ready to fill in the back up spot but I doubt anyone will push Rice as much as Ochs would have,

• Upvote 4

Barr can play both center and Guard but he is our back up center and will remain such. the good thing is that we have other guys that are probably ready to fill in the back up spot but I doubt anyone will push Rice as much as Ochs would have,

Different positions. Ochs was playing RG where he probably would've rotated with Micah Thompson (starter coming out of spring). Now Thompson is the undisputed guy with hopefully a push from Trussell, who was starting there at the beginning of spring.

• Upvote 2

Different positions. Ochs was playing RG where he probably would've rotated with Micah Thompson (starter coming out of spring). Now Thompson is the undisputed guy with hopefully a push from Trussell, who was starting there at the beginning of spring.

Thompson certainly has had plenty of time to work his way into this position.  Time for him to shake that 'bust' label & prove he's the man for the job rather than defaulting/backing into it.

• Upvote 1

Isn't Thompson at RT instead of RG?

He's been a guard his whole career, then moved to RT for this spring, where he was listed as the starter heading into spring. As spring progressed Chris Miles emerged at RT and Thompson was bumped in to RG.

Edited by BillySee58

I hope this in no way negatively influences his Butler teammate's career here with us at North Texas.

Why would it? Players care about getting their job done so they can start or get playing time, not where other players came from. No one on that team gives a damn where a dude came from going into camp. He's just their competition for the job.

• Upvote 1

Why would it? Players care about getting their job done so they can start or get playing time, not where other players came from. No one on that team gives a damn where a dude came from going into camp. He's just their competition for the job.

I just remember Coach Mac talking about Brelan and Byrd and said many times you get a player you wouldn't otherwise want in order to get a teammate you really want. He said with those two he couldn't tell which was which. If that was the case in this scenario, I'd guess Smith is the one they really wanted and recruiting his center helped seal that deal. I'm not saying that is what happened here, just saying its possible.

fonda_13_angry_men.gif

• Upvote 1

I just remember Coach Mac talking about Brelan and Byrd and said many times you get a player you wouldn't otherwise want in order to get a teammate you really want. He said with those two he couldn't tell which was which. If that was the case in this scenario, I'd guess Smith is the one they really wanted and recruiting his center helped seal that deal. I'm not saying that is what happened here, just saying its possible.

fonda_13_angry_men.gif

Byrd and Chancellor were signed by and played a season under Todd Dodge.

• Upvote 1

Yes, that's why he didn't know which was which.

Okay, gotcha.

I never understood that outlook with those two. Neither had any other offers, so I think both were just a couple guys Dodge liked. Didn't have to recruit one to get the other. Could've gotten either individually, but sure did work out great.

• Upvote 1

Okay, gotcha.

I never understood that outlook with those two. Neither had any other offers, so I think both were just a couple guys Dodge liked. Didn't have to recruit one to get the other. Could've gotten either individually, but sure did work out great.

please find 4 of each in the next 3 classes along with some lineman and dl we should be good lol

• Upvote 1