UNT running back breakdown: Wilson, Jimmerson lead talented group

Harry

UNT running back breakdown: Wilson, Jimmerson lead talented group

North Texas running back Antoinne Jimmerson carries the ball in a game against Florida Internaitonal last season at Apogee Stadium. Jimmerson will be a key part of UNT's running back rotation this fall. (Denton Record-Chronicle/David Minton)

North Texas running back Antoinne Jimmerson carries the ball in a game against Florida Internaitonal last season at Apogee Stadium. Jimmerson will be a key part of UNT’s running back rotation this fall. (Denton Record-Chronicle/David Minton)

As the 2015 football season approaches, we will look at each position on the Mean Green’s roster. The running back spot is up today.

A look at the UNT’s pecking order

1. Jeffrey Wilson

2. Antoinne Jimmerson

3. Willy Ivery

Fullbacks

1. Jarrod Lynn

Outlook for the 2015 season:

UNT’s running game has been its calling card for the majority of the last 15 seasons for two reasons.

The first is an emphasis on the running game under a pair of coaches who employed a smash mouth philosophy in Dan McCarney and Darrell Dickey. The second is a tremendous string of running backs who have played for the Mean Green during that span, including two who went on to play in the NFL in Patrick Cobbs and current Cowboy Lance Dunbar.

Read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/07/unt-running-back-breakdown-wilson-jimmerson-lead-talented-group.html/

Surprisingly, North Texas ranked 8th in rush attempts in CUSA. I hope we can push that total up next year, and I hope Wilson can get the ball at least 200 times (and I hope his two fumbles in the UTSA game were a fluke).

I also want to see a more decisive, bowling ball Jimmerson. He's got the size.

Can't wait to see what Ivery can do in action.

• Upvote 1

Surprisingly, North Texas ranked 8th in rush attempts in CUSA. I hope we can push that total up next year, and I hope Wilson can get the ball at least 200 times (and I hope his two fumbles in the UTSA game were a fluke).

I also want to see a more decisive, bowling ball Jimmerson. He's got the size.

He has the ability to be amazing and we have all seen. Some of the best runs I have ever seen from a college running back have been from him. Last years was a let down (In many ways. Not just when it comes to him.). If he can pick it up and get back to form we may have something great. 

• Upvote 2

Surprisingly, North Texas ranked 8th in rush attempts in CUSA.

Not so surprising at all when you consider that we were 12th in overall plays run.  If you can't sustain drives, you're not going to get many passing attempts or rush attempts either one.

Agreed.  As far as running backs go, he was clearly the star of the spring game.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2