If McNulty makes the grade will you step down?

Harry

Let's say McNulty gets the start against SMU and fares well.  We win comfortably and he goes on to have a DT senior type season and we get to a bowl.  It happened with DT.  We saw a huge bump up in his play and abilities in his senior season.  If McNulty gets the job done, will you move into his corner and support him 100%?

Let's face the facts.  McNulty will start the season at QB for our Mean Green.  I know that many have their reservations about this but I think at this point it may be time to put our full support behind #5 and give him a chance to prove himself.

Let's say McNulty gets the start against SMU and fares well.  We win comfortably and he goes on to have a DT senior type season and we get to a bowl.  It happened with DT.  We saw a huge bump up in his play and abilities in his senior season.  If McNulty gets the job done, will you move into his corner and support him 100%?

Let's face the facts.  McNulty will start the season at QB for our Mean Green.  I know that many have their reservations about this but I think at this point it may be time to put our full support behind #5 and give him a chance to prove himself.

Yeah, it's probably time to bite our bashing tongues until he proves that he's bash worthy on the field. Pleasant surprises do happen.

• Upvote 2

Of course. He is the QB of the team. I thought the same thing about DT that I do about McNulty going into his senior year. What I didn't know back then was how hard hitting our defense was gonna be and how strong our special teams was going to be. DT was the busdriver du jour--we lost to Ohio, Tulane, and UTSA because of this that year, but we dominated Idaho, UTEP, UNLV, USM, La Tech, Tulsa, and MUTS, as well as physically overwhelming Rice and Ball State in the seond halves to get those wins.

I just don't see us having anything close on defense to that 2013 squad, while also recognizing that McNulty isn't as good a passer as DT was. But, yes, if he shows us that he can lead our team to wins, then I will gladly eat my words. I just don't see it right now.

• Upvote 4

Yes, but...

The statistical jump that McNulty has to make from last year to this year (production, efficiency) is way bigger than the one Thompson had to make in his last year.

It's going to be very tough for McNulty. He'll have the same receivers, but his decision-making needs to improve and speed up, especially with a new line. 

Arm-strength (which he gets an unfair wrap assessment, it's his wind-up from the hip that affects his throws) doesn't matter if he doesn't find the wide open receiver, or anticipate the route.

• Upvote 3

The thing is our defense is probably closer to our 2012 defense than our 2013 defense, based on experience, offer lists, and production heading into the season.

DT had almost identical stats his senior year prior to the bowl than his junior year, so I don't think that type of season would be enough from Mcnulty.

Also, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion Mcnulty starts against SMU. Dajon as a true freshman almost beat out Thompson when he was a senior. Smith is currently 4 years older than Dajon when that was going on. He's also been here for months, even though he wasn't eligible to actually practice, so it's not out of the question at all.

• Upvote 2

I think Smith, or anyone new will have to really impress to bump someone.  A tie will go to the current person.  In the case of Finney, he had the JUCO accolades, backed it up in practice, and had a nice Spring game against the ones.  He pretty much forced the coaches hand.  I think Smith will have to do something similar.  He is going to have to be very impressive immediately.

I am preparing myself for McNulty to start and he will do well.  SMU is not good.  Rice has a completely rebuilt secondary.  McNulty started well against Rice last season until he got hurt.  I expect him to have success the first two games if he starts and that will buy him a few more games.  If we want to see Smith for a majority of the season, he needs to get in there for SMU.  SMU is breaking in a new DC, Van Malone.  Malone has NEVER been a DC.  Morris hs never been a head coach.  It's no excuse to lose to SMU.  Players should be benched immediately if they do not perform.

As long as we are hovering around .500, i don't see the staff making any big changes.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 2

Strange topic.  I think it's safe to say we all want to win regardless of QB.

It's possible to actually love the guy and be thankful for him as a Mean Green student-athlete while at the same time saying he isn't the greatest QB we've ever had.

Ken Dorsey was 38-2 in college but I've never met a Miami fan get all ruffled up because I told them he would never get serious consideration to start in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

I am in the corner that believes that AM actually will not start vs SMU. He's been here for quite sometime and I am sure he will have the playbook memorized by fall. He is far more physically gifted than AM. What I would like to see (that never happened for DW) is to see D Smith as QB1 with the same offensive gameplan as if AM was starting. Keep it conservative to let him get ultra comfortable to allow him to flourish. Throwing him in there to treat him like John Elway is not going to work as it didn't for DW. We'll get a good feel of who SHOULD be starting in fall camp by players via twitter and coaches vis Vito interviews. Look no further than Carlos Harris on twitter during fall camp who should be QB1. He's been very vocal about many topics while he's been here and don't expect that to change in his last year. 

• Upvote 1

DT showed flashes prior to his senior season that AM never has. If McNulty can come in, complete more than 57% of his passes(which DT did all 3 years he started '11-'13), have at least as many touchdowns as interceptions(which DT did all 3 years he started '11-'13) and average 220 yards passing per game(which DT did in both seasons he started every game '12-'13), then I will be happy to cheer on his DT-like season. Until that happens, I don't see how you can possibly compare the two other than being North Texas starting quarterbacks. AM hasn't come close to being as good as DT's best but has proven he can play well below DT's worst.

• Upvote 3

When we head down to Ford Stadium, I will cheer for the waterboy if Mac sends him in at QB, because I love North Texas.

I really hope I'm wrong and McNulty has a solid senior season, but I don't see it happening. I don't care how many times people write about McNulty's 342 yard 3 TD spring game. I was there. I saw the blown coverages by a bad 2nd team secondary that allowed him to complete wide open passes for long TDs. I saw passes thrown late into coverage that would have been picked off by a first team C-USA secondary. If I remember correctly, McNulty didn't complete half of his passes in the spring game. When people look closely, there is evidence of what we can expect.  If people are expecting him to put up 250-300 yards and game next season, they are probably in for a rude awakening. I hope I'm wrong and he can step up and get it done. I know he will start the season, but I'm not happy that we never had a real QB competition in the spring, and I believe our QB issues are far from resolved. I will not be surprised if we are in for a long season.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 3

DT showed flashes , I don't see how you can possibly compare the two other than being North Texas starting quarterbacks. AM hasn't come close to being as good as DT's best but has proven he can play well below DT's worst.

Uuummm....

As bad as McNulty was, I cant say he single handedly lost any game because the rest of the team was just as bad as he was.  It was a total team effort.  There were some games in 2013 where even if we had an average DT playing, we would have won. 

McNulty gets a bad rap for the failure of the whole team.  DT had Chancellor and Darnell Smith.  He had Pegram. DT had Byrd and a healthy, better line.  DT had one of the best defenses in CUSA bailing him out.  The comparison of what DT and McNulty had as a team isn't even close.  Our record is close to the same if DT started last season, with the exception of USM.  DT struggled against La Tech and UTSA with a much better team.  DT didn't factor much in beating Rice either.  DT with that defense and running game we rolled out last year would have been just as terrible.

Edited by GOMG2013
  • Upvote 3

Uuummm....

As bad as McNulty was, I cant say he single handedly lost any game because the rest of the team was just as bad as he was.  It was a total team effort.  There were some games where even if we had an average DT playing, we would have won. 

McNulty gets a bad rap for the failure of the whole team.  Chancellor and Darnell Smith.  He had Pegram DT had a healthy, better line.  DT had one of the best defenses in CUSA bailing him out.  The comparison of what DT and McNulty had as a team isn't even close.  Our record is close to the same if DT started last season, with the exception of USM.  DT struggled against La Tech and UTSA with a much better team.  DT didn't factor much in beating Rice either.  DT with that defense and running game we rolled out last year would have been just as terrible.

I thought DT had two huge games his senior season, Ball State and of course the bowl win.  I also thought he played pretty well agin Georgia too.  I thought C-USA was a pretty down league in 2013.   But I give him his props, he had a great senior season.

I think Smith, or anyone new will have to really impress to bump someone.  A tie will go to the current person.  In the case of Finney, he had the JUCO accolades, backed it up in practice, and had a nice Spring game against the ones.  He pretty much forced the coaches hand.  I think Smith will have to do something similar.  He is going to have to be very impressive immediately.

I am preparing myself for McNulty to start and he will do well.  SMU is not good.  Rice has a completely rebuilt secondary.  McNulty started well against Rice last season until he got hurt.  I expect him to have success the first two games if he starts and that will buy him a few more games.  If we want to see Smith for a majority of the season, he needs to get in there for SMU.  SMU is breaking in a new DC, Van Malone.  Malone has NEVER been a DC.  Morris hs never been a head coach.  It's no excuse to lose to SMU.  Players should be benched immediately if they do not perform.

As long as we are hovering around .500, i don't see the staff making any big changes.

Someone else had a nice spring game against the ones and ended up dropped from 2nd on the depth chart to a non-factor in the race for the starting job.

Uuummm....

As bad as McNulty was, I cant say he single handedly lost any game because the rest of the team was just as bad as he was.  It was a total team effort.  There were some games in 2013 where even if we had an average DT playing, we would have won. 

McNulty gets a bad rap for the failure of the whole team.  DT had Chancellor and Darnell Smith.  He had Pegram. DT had Byrd and a healthy, better line.  DT had one of the best defenses in CUSA bailing him out.  The comparison of what DT and McNulty had as a team isn't even close.  Our record is close to the same if DT started last season, with the exception of USM.  DT struggled against La Tech and UTSA with a much better team.  DT didn't factor much in beating Rice either.  DT with that defense and running game we rolled out last year would have been just as terrible.

Go another step further. With the schedule that we have to play this season, put DT at QB and we still win 3-4 games at the most. Hell, make the 2013 team play this schedule and I think its probably gonna go 7-5 at best--and that was arguably the best team we have fielded since the Fry years.

McNulty isn't very good, in my opinion, but even if he was, the schedule is too hard for where we are right now as a team, nor or the lines on the team or the rest of the defense/special teams.

Whoever is QB next year is who has the best chance to get us back to .500, just because the OL will be more experienced and the defense will be very experienced. Its 2017 that I think gives us the best chance to get back to 7+ wins. And that will give us the opportunity to see if RV will extend Mac again...

• Upvote 1

Uuummm....

Let's not forget last year was supposed to be a sleepwalk to 6 wins schedule. Also, you can compare '11 or '12 Thompson to any year McNulty and Thompson is still better statistically. AM would not have played any better than DT in the games you speak of in '13.

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget last year was supposed to be a sleepwalk to 6 wins schedule. Also, you can compare '11 or '12 Thompson to any year McNulty and Thompson is still better statistically. AM would not have played any better than DT in the games you speak of in '13.

Thompson's best is better than McNulty's best.  But Thompson's worst is some of the worst QBing I have ever seen.  People act like we were an average QB away from being good last season.  Some are acting like we are an average QB away from being good this year and that McNulty will be the reason we lose.  If the rest of the team was balling last year, I could see bashing McNulty.

Even in our wins in 2013, DT was bailed out.  Ball State, the defense created FIVE turnovers.  LaTech we had whitfield with 2 picks, one to the house.  Rice we had the stand, KO return, and the wheel route (?) to Jimmerson.  UNLV we had good defense and lets not forget Chancellor also had a huge game.  Didn't he run in two TDs? 

McNulty had none of that.  McNulty threw the pick 6 against Rice, so that is on him...even if he was hurt.  That game was winnable.  Other than that game, he played like the rest of the team.

Our team played well enough to win against UTSA, Ohio, and Tulane.  DT did not show up and it may as well been McNulty out there.  As bad as McNulty was last year, there was never a Troy State moment where the defense was begging him to go out there and win the game. 

• Upvote 2

Thompson's best is better than McNulty's best.  But Thompson's worst is some of the worst QBing I have ever seen.  People act like we were an average QB away from being good last season.  Some are acting like we are an average QB away from being good this year and that McNulty will be the reason we lose.  If the rest of the team was balling last year, I could see bashing McNulty.

Even in our wins in 2013, DT was bailed out.  Ball State, the defense created FIVE turnovers.  LaTech we had whitfield with 2 picks, one to the house.  Rice we had the stand, KO return, and the wheel route (?) to Jimmerson.  UNLV we had good defense and lets not forget Chancellor also had a huge game.  Didn't he run in two TDs? 

McNulty had none of that.  McNulty threw the pick 6 against Rice, so that is on him...even if he was hurt.  That game was winnable.  Other than that game, he played like the rest of the team.

Our team played well enough to win against UTSA, Ohio, and Tulane.  DT did not show up and it may as well been McNulty out there.  As bad as McNulty was last year, there was never a Troy State moment where the defense was begging him to go out there and win the game. 

There is no excuse not to move the ball downfield with the running backs we have and quality receivers like Carlos Harris. AM has way more trouble moving the ball downfield than DT ever did, and other than starting field position, that has zero to do with the defense or special teams.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, but in the FIU game last season, the defense (and coaches) was beggin McNulty to just go out there and hand the ball off, as they knew it was the only chance we had to win that game. If we had been behind FIU, as we had been against Troy in 2012, the same exact result would've happened.

• Upvote 2

Of course.... Everybody would be worshiping him if he brings us to another bowl game this season. The problem is, and some people have already brought up this point... Is the fact that DT had a good team backing him up. McNulty doesn't seem to have that going for him in 2015. Our QB play just isn't what we need it to be to balance out the other flaws if McNulty goes out there and tosses interceptions, fumbles, or just cant deliver.

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

I thought DT had two huge games his senior season, Ball State and of course the bowl win.  I also thought he played pretty well agin Georgia too.  I thought C-USA was a pretty down league in 2013.   But I give him his props, he had a great senior season.

TD had an unbelievable HOD game. One for the ages. But, all season long we hounded his turnover to TD ratio, and lack of down field passing. TD had a few really good games,  but people forget our defense had an incredible ability to take the ball away from other teams and score. We had an inflated points per game average because our D was so good, and that helped compensate for an offense that at times came up short.

McNulty didn't enjoy the luxury of playing with a defense like that in 2014, but I don't think he was asked to play as tough of a schedule either. On paper, 2015 looks to be our toughest schedule since joining C-USA. I can't think of one North Texas fan that feels comfortable with our QB situation heading into the fall. Lack of confidence at the most important position is bad for moral when you are trying to grow a program.

• Upvote 1

Since it's relevant, I'll mention Georgia again.  When Derek hurt his hand and they sent in McNulty, I was all like, "Oh, crap!" and when the Georgia fans we were watching with asked about him, I relayed some basic info and one replied, "So...he's your handoff specialist, huh?"  I responded in the affirmative, and McNulty then went on to go 5 -for-5 against freaking UGA's defense, at which point, they remarked, "Wow, your handoff specialist is one hell of a passer!"

So I've never counted McNulty out since then.  He's not been the greatest, but you never know when someone's flashes might become consistent enough to give them a huge breakout year.  If he actually beats out the competition rather than getting in by way of favors, and then has a stellar (or at least above-average) year, I'll be glad that he took the bits of greatness...uhm, at least above-averageness...that we've seen before and put them all together to have a hell of a season.  Of course, if they put him in and it's obvious that there's a better QB on the roster, AND he fares poorly, then I'll join the naysayers.

• Upvote 1

DT showed flashes prior to his senior season that AM never has. If McNulty can come in, complete more than 57% of his passes(which DT did all 3 years he started '11-'13), have at least as many touchdowns as interceptions(which DT did all 3 years he started '11-'13) and average 220 yards passing per game(which DT did in both seasons he started every game '12-'13), then I will be happy to cheer on his DT-like season. Until that happens, I don't see how you can possibly compare the two other than being North Texas starting quarterbacks. AM hasn't come close to being as good as DT's best but has proven he can play well below DT's worst.

my boner grows with this post.

Dead on.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1