Ranking the North Texas Mean Green’s roster: Numbers 6-10

Harry

9.) Andrew McNulty, QB. McNulty has been written off more than once in his career, but enters the 2015 season in prime position to start at quarterback for the Mean Green. He played well throughout spring practice and threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns in UNT’s spring game. The performance came on the heels of a junior season when he stared the final six games of the season after the Mean Green tried two other quarterbacks. JUCO transfer DaMarcus Smith was expected to compete with McNulty for the starting job during spring drills. That plan went up in smoke when Smith didn’t qualify academically. He’s on campus now and will get a shot in two-a-days, but it’s hard to imagine McNulty not opening the season as UNT’s starter. UNT head coach Dan McCarney is conservative offensively and values experience. McNulty has a ton of playing time under his belt and seems destined to be under center when the Mean Green face SMU to open the year.

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/07/ranking-the-north-texas-mean-greens-roster-numbers-6-10.html/

Wow. Very depressing that we only have 8 players better than McNulty. Don't get me wrong, great kid, hard worker, loves his school, but not a FBS qb. Hopefully the coaches can turn this thing around and get some better players(according to Vito) in here.

• Upvote 2

Wow. Very depressing that we only have 8 players better than McNulty. Don't get me wrong, great kid, hard worker, loves his school, but not a FBS qb. Hopefully the coaches can turn this thing around and get some better players(according to Vito) in here.

According to Vito we only have 8 players better than McNulty, but what does that guy know about evaluating talent? We probably have 20+  players that are more talented than McNulty. 

• Upvote 3

According to Vito we only have 8 players better than McNulty, but what does that guy know about evaluating talent? We probably have 20+  players that are more talented than McNulty. 

right? he's just some dude sitting at a computer espousing his opinions in order to create meaningless conversation. 

you know what you should do is come up with a list of your own. that'd show him. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Anyone that doesn't get that the guy that was the part-time punter last year ranks higher than the starting QB (because in fact he does) is in la la-land and does not understand the reality of this season.

Edited by 97and03

"When I rated UNT’s players, I gauged them on their potential impact based on performance at the college level more than anything else, including who offered them out of high school or their size and speed."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/07/thoughts-on-unts-top-25-players.html/

Okay well that still doesnt put McNulty any where near being a top 10 player on this team. His performance is lacking. He didnt have big time or even multiple offers as a QB. He doesnt have the size or arm to be an impact player. The one thing he does have is above average speed for a QB, but even that can be debated. The average speed of QBs has risen significantly in recent years.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

"When I rated UNT’s players, I gauged them on their potential impact based on performance at the college level more than anything else, including who offered them out of high school or their size and speed."

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/07/thoughts-on-unts-top-25-players.html/

I may be biased in this analysis, but it doesn't seem like this is the criteria when looking at Chad Davis and his potential.  He seems to be forgotten when it comes to future and developing talent.

His offer list didn't get as much hype as some that has come after him, but it was a nice list with Minnesota and TCU trying to get official visits after he committed to UNT.  He had lots of hype in HS and was listed as a 3 star recruit by everyone at one point until he committed to UNT.   So, he has the high school hype part covered.

as far as speed, he ran track at a very high level in high school by reaching the state meet, his junior and senior year, and leading all 3 relays to state his senior season.  Has 3 5a state medals, so the speed is there.  Barely a peep.

if we look at his college career at UNT, he played in every game his first two years.  Special teams as a true freshman, and nickel, some goal line, and special teams as a sophomore.  Hasn't done anything outstanding, but if we are talking POTENTIAL, then on most teams, the nickel back is usually the next starting corner in training.  Listed with the ones on the depth chart, played corner in every game last year, Still not a lot of love for Davis...

once again, this is just guessing and potential.  He could go out there and stink it up and get his spot taken by Grindle.  But the signs and analysis should have a more positive prediction of what he COULD bring.  If look at James Jones, who he is replacing, Jones came in his jr season from a JUCO.  No D1 experience at all, but some JUCO success.  Davis enters his jr season, with D1 game experience at corner and has played in the heat of the battle in almost every game.  Jones entered the season as a backup on the depth chart.  Davis enters as the 1st team.  Davis is bigger and faster than Jones.  

Whether he will play as good as Jones is another story, but it doesn't seem like much analysis has been done. Projections regarding his potential has not factored previous playing time, recruiting, depth chart, or physical attributes.  There must be some off the field stuff that is part of the analysis.  Does anyone in the know has any info?  Has he sucked in practice?

• Upvote 2

I may be biased in this analysis, but it doesn't seem like this is the criteria when looking at Chad Davis and his potential.  He seems to be forgotten when it comes to future and developing talent.

His offer list didn't get as much hype as some that has come after him, but it was a nice list with Minnesota and TCU trying to get official visits after he committed to UNT.  He had lots of hype in HS and was listed as a 3 star recruit by everyone at one point until he committed to UNT.   So, he has the high school hype part covered.

as far as speed, he ran track at a very high level in high school by reaching the state meet, his junior and senior year, and leading all 3 relays to state his senior season.  Has 3 5a state medals, so the speed is there.  Barely a peep.

if we look at his college career at UNT, he played in every game his first two years.  Special teams as a true freshman, and nickel, some goal line, and special teams as a sophomore.  Hasn't done anything outstanding, but if we are talking POTENTIAL, then on most teams, the nickel back is usually the next starting corner in training.  Listed with the ones on the depth chart, played corner in every game last year, Still not a lot of love for Davis...

once again, this is just guessing and potential.  He could go out there and stink it up and get his spot taken by Grindle.  But the signs and analysis should have a more positive prediction of what he COULD bring.  If look at James Jones, who he is replacing, Jones came in his jr season from a JUCO.  No D1 experience at all, but some JUCO success.  Davis enters his jr season, with D1 game experience at corner and has played in the heat of the battle in almost every game.  Jones entered the season as a backup on the depth chart.  Davis enters as the 1st team.  Davis is bigger and faster than Jones.  

Whether he will play as good as Jones is another story, but it doesn't seem like much analysis has been done. Projections regarding his potential has not factored previous playing time, recruiting, depth chart, or physical attributes.  There must be some off the field stuff that is part of the analysis.  Does anyone in the know has any info?  Has he sucked in practice?

Maybe Davis is a more of a press man cover corner and didnt fit the system? Maybe he couldnt cover guys when giving so much free room to run a route.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Davis is a more of a press man cover corner and didnt fit the system? Maybe he couldnt cover guys when giving so much free room to run a route.

Davis was a press corner like most top high school corners.  They usually put the best corner on the teams best wr in high school and try to eliminate them.  Davis came to UNT with strong man to man, press coverage.  UNT's system is totally different. Lineup up off the wr.  Not much press, but the corners are still on an island from time to time and manned up. 

Davis came in as the nickel back the whole season.  apparently he learned to play off man or learned the system enough to come in on the nickel package.  instead of playing the nickel, they put him at corner and moved our verteran corner (Buyers) to safety (nickel).  Davis is also in there on goaline packages.  His coverage does not seem to be the issue if they trust him in those situations.  If I had to guess, it would be his play against the run that is the issue.  They seem to like his coverage.  Especially with bumping whitfield out of the nickel spot.  In both Spring games, the QBs barely looked his way on passing plays.

Davis has had enough in game experience to get more credit for at least some potential.  There's guys who barely touched a college or D1 football field that is getting more assumed potential. 

iirc, not all defensive snaps had the cornerback off the receiver. There were many times when Jones (sometimes Buyers) pressed. If so, Davis could be a good replacement in that regard. I like Grindle's tape, and I'm not entirely sold on Marshall with the coverage issues he had at LB.

There's so much great competition coming in at CB, including the twins and Preston.

• Upvote 1

iirc, not all defensive snaps had the cornerback off the receiver. There were many times when Jones (sometimes Buyers) pressed. If so, Davis could be a good replacement in that regard. I like Grindle's tape, and I'm not entirely sold on Marshall with the coverage issues he had at LB.

There's so much great competition coming in at CB, including the twins and Preston.

Our defense only allow limited opportunities to press.  If our front 7 can stop the run, we could press more. 

The twins were press corners in high school and did a very good job, but they barely got any reps in the Spring game.  One twin got a few with the second team and the other one played a few plays.  i don't think UNT will give them a chance.  They gave Marshall a shot before they gave them one.  Ced Fernandez came in and most likely snatched up nickel.  Not much opportunity for them to even get in th competetion unless there is an injury.

Marshall had his one shot early Spring.  It seem like a great, feel good story, but he asked to play corner and the coaches gave him a shot.  Maybe he looked better and was more comfortable at corner than he was at LB, but that still isn't saying a lot.  Corner isnt as hard to learn as LB as far as assignments.  Flats, man to man, or deep outside third.  Marshall is very fast running in a straight line.  His lateral movement is not good, his reaction is slow, and body control and balance is not what you would like to see at corner.  In my opinion, he is a safety all the way.  But I'm guessing safety was hard to learn under Skladany.  And like you stated, he had trouble covering as a LB...corner is much harder. I can see him getting some situational matchups against taller WRs. 

I hear Preston is looking good and should start some time in the future.  Has a shot to make the two deep if Grindle doesnt pick up things quickly. Grindle and Preston will have to be considerably better than Davis to jump him in the depth chart and start the season with no D1 college experience.   

• Upvote 1