Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide, Supreme Court Rules

The decision capped a remarkably quick turnaround in public and judicial acceptance of same-sex marraige. In the past 18 months, court rulings struck down marriage bans in rapid succession -- nearly 60 separate decisions in more than half the states.

Today's ruling overturned a decision from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals in Cincinnati, which said states had legitimate reasons for maintaining the traditional definition of marriage. The appeals court also said it would be better "to allow change through the customary political processes" instead of the courts.

Public opinion has shifted dramatically in recent years. The first Gallup poll on the subject showed only 27 percent approval for same-sex marriage in 1996. Gallup's most recent poll, taken last month, showed 60 percent approval.

read more:  http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/same-sex-marraige-legal-nationwide-supreme-court-rules-n375551

Just my opinion, but to me when you look at the very basic root of the decision this has little to do with marriage or uniting people and recognizing their rights to do so, but more to do about destruction of Religious Freedom.

Rick   

Ok, I'm kinda stuck here.  What religious freedom has been impinged?  The one I can think of, to which I do not know the answer, is whether a given church would be able to deny gay marriage ceremonies within its doors.  Otherwise, it seems to me like Christians can carry on with their lives unabated.

• Upvote 3

I have ambivalent feelings on this issue, so I have to ask what's next? Same sex sibling or father/son marriage? Seriously, why not? There is usually much love involved, and no children can be conceived in those partnerships. Anything goes these days, right?

Below is an excellent article that explains exactly where I can see this leading to.

"YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED-The Same-Sex Marriage Bait and Switch"

C4B1SWs.jpg

http://m.weeklystandard.com/articles/you-will-be-assimilated_969581.html?page=1

You may recall Brendan Eich. The cofounder and CEO of Mozilla was dismissed from his company in 2014 when it was discovered that, six years earlier, he had donated $1,000 to California’s Proposition 8 campaign. That ballot initiative, limiting marriage to one man and one woman, passed with a larger percentage of the vote in California than Barack Obama received nationally in 2012. No one who knew Eich accused him of treating his gay coworkers badly—by all accounts he was kind and generous to his colleagues. Nonetheless, having provided modest financial support to a lawful ballot initiative that passed with a majority vote was deemed horrible enough to deprive Eich of his livelihood. Which is one thing.

What is quite another is the manner in which Eich has been treated since. A year after Eich’s firing, for instance, Hampton Catlin, a Silicon Valley programmer who was one of the first to demand Eich’s resignation, took to Twitter to bait Eich:

Hampton ‏@hcatlin Apr 21

It had been a couple weeks since I’d gotten some sort of @BrendanEich related hate mail. How things going over there on your side, Brendan?

BrendanEich ‏@BrendanEich

@hcatlin You demanded I be “completely removed from any day to day activities at Mozilla” & got your wish. I’m still unemployed. How’re you?

Hampton ‏@hcatlin Apr 2

@BrendanEich married and able to live in the USA! .  .  . and working together on open source stuff! In like, a loving, happy gay married way!

It’s a small thing, to be sure. But telling. Because it shows that the same-sex marriage movement is interested in a great deal more than just the freedom to form marital unions. It is also interested, quite keenly, in punishing dissenters. But the ambitions of the movement go further than that, even. It’s about revisiting legal notions of freedom of speech and association, constitutional protections for religious freedom, and cultural norms concerning the family. And most Americans are only just realizing that these are the societal compacts that have been pried open for negotiation.

Same-sex marriage supporters see this cascade of changes as necessary for safeguarding progress against retrograde elements in society. People less deeply invested in same-sex marriage might see it as a bait-and-switch. And they would be correct. But this is hardly new. Bait-and-switch has been the modus operandi of the gay rights movement not, perhaps, from the start, but for a good long while.....

It began at the most elementary factual level: How many Americans are gay? For decades, gay-rights activists pushed the line that 1 out of every 10 people is homosexual. This statistic belied all evidence but was necessary in order to imbue the cause with a sense of ubiquity and urgency. The public fell so hard for this propaganda that in 2012 Gallup did a poll asking people what percentage of the country they thought was gay. The responses were amazing. Women and young adults were the most gullible, saying, on average, that they thought 30 percent of the population was gay. The average American thought that 24 percent of the population—one quarter—was gay. Only 4 percent of respondents said they thought homosexuals made up less than 5 percent of the population. 

But even 5 percent turns out to be an exaggeration. The best research to date on American sexual preference is a 2014 study from the Centers for Disease Control with a monster sample of 34,557 adults. It found that 96.6 percent of Americans identified as heterosexual, 1.6 percent identified as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent as bisexual. The percentage of gays and lesbians isn’t much higher than the percentage of folks who refused to answer the question (1.1 percent).

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I don't have anything to add really (I am not really pleased or hating the outcome (it just doesn't effect me so whatever), so I am just gonna go with a movie reference.

"Mawwiage is what bwings us togevah today"

princess-bride-bishop.jpg

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

Irrelevant where Mozilla is.  Do we or do we not love the at will employment thing?

Probably depends on whether you're an employee or an employer. Personally, I just want to marry my dad. He worked at an old school corporation for many years with great benefits, and we do kinda love each other. Should we both find ourselves unmarried down the road, I think we should have that right . As long as the government doesn't mandate sex with marriage of course.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nope. Nor am I ok with the Obama administration dealing with a regime concerning nuclear power that also supports murdering it's citizens for being gay. 

Rick

Yep, I agree. You can't have it both ways (you know what I mean). Can't pound your chest and say you support gay rights then turn around a suppor a regime that kills gays for no reason other than being gay.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yep, I agree. You can't have it both ways (you know what I mean). Can't pound your chest and say you support gay rights then turn around a suppor a regime that kills gays for no reason other than being gay.

Have you consistently refused to buy products produced in countries that use child labor to make them?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1