Same-Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide, Supreme Court Rules

So, perhaps this brings up another question with regards to the fracking question in Denton and Texas.....OK...bear with me here a second.  Here we go...so, all the anti-drilling folks are crying long and loud about the loss of "local control" and claiming the state walked all over their vote and are now protesting this "over the top" grab of power by the state...you know, because they voted to override state laws and property rights regulations in Texas.  So, are they now celebrating because the SC just over ruled the local vote by Texans that marriage is between one man and one woman?  Hmmmmmm.....perhaps their angst regarding fracking and Texas' action might be re-thought in light of this SC decision?  

According to the SC the Texas marriage vote was unconstitutional....according to the Texas legislature the Denton vote was unconstitutional.  Shouldn't there be dancing in the streets in glee by the anti-drilling folks over the Texas decision?  

This, I think demonstrates some irony in how folks say they believe something, but in reality it is really a situation by situation decision.  One must be careful when trying to drive home a position as that same position may be brought into question with another decision or situation soon after.  So....anti-drilling folks.....is it "local control" that has you so fired up or not?  If it is....tell us how you feel about that SC decision as it over rode a local vote as well.

the SC vote really has no effect on me or on my core beliefs, and I believed the vote was a done deal from the time the court decided to hear it in the first place.  Just thought the "local" control and local vote thing was fairly interesting given all the angst over the anti-drilling thing.  Just food for thought I guess.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I would refer you to Brown v Board of Education and Loving v Virginia for better parallels.  I doubt anyone here would argue with the validity of either of those decisions today, even if at the time, people did argue that they infringed upon states' rights.

One set is about human rights and dignity.  The other is about a for profit action that may or may not have adverse health effects on those in the immediate area, a la smoking bans.

For the record, I'm fairly neutral on fracking.  Don't buy into the hype of flammable drinking water, but do think that maybe there might ought could be a wee bit more caution taken with it.  

• Upvote 4

So, perhaps this brings up another question with regards to the fracking question in Denton and Texas.....OK...bear with me here a second.  Here we go...so, all the anti-drilling folks are crying long and loud about the loss of "local control" and claiming the state walked all over their vote and are now protesting this "over the top" grab of power by the state...you know, because they voted to override state laws and property rights regulations in Texas.  So, are they now celebrating because the SC just over ruled the local vote by Texans that marriage is between one man and one woman?  Hmmmmmm.....perhaps their angst regarding fracking and Texas' action might be re-thought in light of this SC decision?  

According to the SC the Texas marriage vote was unconstitutional....according to the Texas legislature the Denton vote was unconstitutional.  Shouldn't there be dancing in the streets in glee by the anti-drilling folks over the Texas decision?  

This, I think demonstrates some irony in how folks say they believe something, but in reality it is really a situation by situation decision.  One must be careful when trying to drive home a position as that same position may be brought into question with another decision or situation soon after.  So....anti-drilling folks.....is it "local control" that has you so fired up or not?  If it is....tell us how you feel about that SC decision as it over rode a local vote as well.

the SC vote really has no effect on me or on my core beliefs, and I believed the vote was a done deal from the time the court decided to hear it in the first place.  Just thought the "local" control and local vote thing was fairly interesting given all the angst over the anti-drilling thing.  Just food for thought I guess.

If the Texas legislature thought that the Denton vote was "unconstitutional" then that implies that our state constitution sufficiently covers the "legal" issue. And so our Attorney General should then have taken the City of Denton to court over the matter, and let the courts affirm what is in the Texas constitution. What the legislature did in banning "local control" was earn their money that the oil industry pays them. Because the oil companies needed the matter set aside ASAP and didn't want to wait for the usual legal remedies. Why wait for it to make the journey through the court system when you've got a perfectly good "bought and payed for" remedy. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

First Baptist Dallas pastor Robert Jeffress on the marriage equality verdict:

“the most landmark blunder in the history of the United States Supreme Court.”

Yeah Dred Scott, Plessy v Ferguson....who are they? Definitely no worse than a couple of dudes getting hitched. This is why church membership is declining rapidly nationwide. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

If the Texas legislature thought that the Denton vote was "unconstitutional" then that implies that our state constitution sufficiently covers the "legal" issue. And so our Attorney General should then have taken the City of Denton to court over the matter, and let the courts affirm what is in the Texas constitution. What the legislature did in banning "local control" was earn their money that the oil industry pays them. Because the oil companies needed the matter set aside ASAP and didn't want to wait for the usual legal remedies. Why wait for it to make the journey through the court system when you've got a perfectly good "bought and payed for" remedy. 

Oil companies can pour money into elections for the positions that matter, like the State Attorney General (to get someone to prosecute whatever municipality that institutes a ban) and whatever Comptroller position (Railroad Commission?) to get the people that they want.  I don't see how oil companies giving money to local politicians running for a state position (State Legislature) is that much different compared to giving money to politicians running for a state position (Comptroller or SAG).

There already were several lawsuits pending, one of which was being led by the State of Texas.  By not going through the court system it actually may have saved some expenses that would have burdened the state (and its tax payers).  The City of Denton's ban would have never survived due to mineral rights being exercised, which is handled at the state level and there was a lawsuit centered around that issue as well.  Residents/tax payers of the City of Denton would have had an extra burden due to the City needing to defend its ban from numerous lawsuits.

• Upvote 2