Dan McCarney quotes of the offseason, including his appeal for more fans

Harry

Following a coaches caravan tour stop in Gainesville …

“These people are great. We know we have phenomenal people behind us. This is a step in the right direction to expand our fan base. We have to expand. We can’t stay where we are at. The fans we have are phenomenal. It has to grow if we want to compete for championships in every sport. This is the grass roots and what it’s all about.”

– From an interview with the Denton Record-Chronicle

read more:  http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/06/the-best-dan-mccarney-quotes-of-the-offseason-including.html/

More people showed up in 2013 the more games we won. Even for UTSA where the temperature was almost freezing there were almost 20k. If he could manage to string together some winning seasons, Apogee would be standing room only.

I can attest to the weather for that UTSA game -- it was brutal.  I was pretty pleased with the turnout but then again we had something going on, a conference championship was at stake.  The student support has been a bright spot for this program as it continues to grow every single year.  That is something to be proud of and I do believe Mac and RV deserve some credit for it.

Nice to see that RV does actually own a Green polo to wear to the official occasion. Too bad he (and Hank) don't consistently wear official green gear to other "official events".

I know this is going to sound harsh, and maybe even petty, but I've seen RV trying to work a crowd. They should hire Emmit to do that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

See, you just couldn't have done that in Fouts.  Apogee is gorgeous.  If it hasn't paid the dividends we'd hoped for yet, I still have strong faith that it will.  We're growing the next generation of fans, and they're going to have much greater memories.

I hear alot about campus stadiums, UNT, San Marcos, SJS, etc. Having them and it somehow making them a better program in context of UTSA not having such. What dividends do you expect to see in a football sense mentioned in the above post? If you have been to LA Tech you would have to agree there's no way that's an upgrade compared to the dome (even before the upgrades coming in the next year) and yet they out perform and out recruit both of us. I honestly want an answer because this topic usually degrades to " you suck you don't have campus facilities.  Oh yeah, neither does USC  or Miami or about 5 others. Oh yeah, UTSA  isn't USC.... Yeah, your not Michigan, Ohio State or UT because you do." Those are bull s## conversations imo. Thanks for the input. This forum  has been great helping me learn and grow as fan, CK not with standing.

I hear alot about campus stadiums, UNT, San Marcos, SJS, etc. Having them and it somehow making them a better program in context of UTSA not having such. What dividends do you expect to see in a football sense mentioned in the above post? If you have been to LA Tech you would have to agree there's no way that's an upgrade compared to the dome (even before the upgrades coming in the next year) and yet they out perform and out recruit both of us. I honestly want an answer because this topic usually degrades to " you suck you don't have campus facilities.  Oh yeah, neither does USC  or Miami or about 5 others. Oh yeah, UTSA  isn't USC.... Yeah, your not Michigan, Ohio State or UT because you do." Those are bull s## conversations imo. Thanks for the input. This forum  has been great helping me learn and grow as fan, CK not with standing.

In the G5 world something such as having your own facilities and stadium located on campus can be the difference in whether a recruit will choose that school to attend. We are materialistic people so most will fall in the the USC's and Miami's of the world on perception and brand name alone. We, like UTSA, don't have that accommodation of luring a recruit to us by brand name and perception alone. Having facilities on campus matters whether you want to accept that or not. We at UNT have that luxury. However, what sets us behind the eightball is a tradition of losing/not fully committing to athletics as a university. I think we have taken the next step with Apogee paired with the hire of a brand name coach. We have yet to put together consistent winning at UNT in this modern technological era of college football. We are 2-3 consistent winning seasons away from putting us on the map and that will (in this era, not early 2000 era) change quite a bit. GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Simple answer is that Apogee is a pleasant experience to attend.  Fouts wasn't.  I'm speaking more to students than players and recruitment.  If I'm 18 and a freshman and they cart me out to Apogee, I'm going to be impressed and want to attend games.  With Fouts, yeah, not so much.

In the G5 world something such as having your own facilities and stadium located on campus can be the difference in whether a recruit will choose that school to attend. We are materialistic people so most will fall in the the USC's and Miami's of the world on perception and brand name alone. We, like UTSA, don't have that accommodation of luring a recruit to us by brand name and perception alone. Having facilities on campus matters whether you want to accept that or not. We at UNT have that luxury. However, what sets us behind the eightball is a tradition of losing/not fully committing to athletics as a university. I think we have taken the next step with Apogee paired with the hire of a brand name coach. We have yet to put together consistent winning at UNT in this modern technological era of college football. We are 2-3 consistent winning seasons away from putting us on the map and that will (in this era, not early 2000 era) change quite a bit. GMG 

For me, it's not a matter of me accepting the situation as was posted, but trying to understand it. I don't disagree that the history or tradition in the recruited eyes is important.  I hope my post was not seen as combative, confrontational or dismissive  of any facts surrounding  campus facilities,  I am trying to understand how it works. Unlike most people, I place significant  value in experience and I perceive this group to have significant  experience  in observing how programs are run and why they may or may not be successful. That is the reason I post questions in this forum, I don't presume to have much to add with  only 5 years of  following a program. Thank you for the reply, I do appreciate  the benefit  of your experience. 

• Upvote 2

Here's my thoughts on the pros/cons between our situation and UTSA's, stadium-wise. Ours is new and fresh, so that helps with the fanbase--Fouts was literally the worst stadium in FBS and it wasn't close. ULM's place is a dump and it was still nicer than Fouts. Its also close by the campus, so its easy to get to for students who often don't have cars for long drives. And when you are located in a college-oriented town, having a facility in town usually helps you get the local citizens more involved in the program.

The UTSA situation, though, is different in that its a big-city school, so a lot of kids already commute to get there for classes. Not that UNT doesn't have that, too, but it has dramatically changed in the last 20 years, with more poeple living near campus in Denton than ever before. You guys have people who know where the Alamodome is beuuase they live in SA and it s near downtown, so its easy to get public transportation to get there, if necessary. It is cavernous, so when you play a team that nobody really cares about, it can feel like really big in there. But the other thing about that is that its size is alluring to big schools to schedule a game in San Antonio, both for their fanbase and for recruiting purposes. We will never, ever have that advantage in Denton, since many people love the idea of spending a weekend in SA.

It will all come down to winning, as it usually does. If UTSA wins, they'll draw well, just like UH did at the Astrodome back in the day and USF has done in Tampa. That's who UTSA reminds me of the most, USF. A brand new program, in a big city, surrounded by a recruiting hotbed, with a local media that wants to help them. If you can win in a situation like that, you can go up fast. But, unlike USF back then, UTSA won't have a Power League to help them get ranked high. That's how the closed ranks of the P5 killed the hopes of the big programs in the AAC and MWC. I think only Boise State might be able to be the exception to that rule going forward, but maybe some of the top end MWC and AAC teams could get consideration to move up into a top 5 ranking like USF once did.

• Upvote 2

Here's my thoughts on the pros/cons between our situation and UTSA's, stadium-wise. Ours is new and fresh, so that helps with the fanbase--Fouts was literally the worst stadium in FBS and it wasn't close. ULM's place is a dump and it was still nicer than Fouts. Its also close by the campus, so its easy to get to for students who often don't have cars for long drives. And when you are located in a college-oriented town, having a facility in town usually helps you get the local citizens more involved in the program.

The UTSA situation, though, is different in that its a big-city school, so a lot of kids already commute to get there for classes. Not that UNT doesn't have that, too, but it has dramatically changed in the last 20 years, with more poeple living near campus in Denton than ever before. You guys have people who know where the Alamodome is beuuase they live in SA and it s near downtown, so its easy to get public transportation to get there, if necessary. It is cavernous, so when you play a team that nobody really cares about, it can feel like really big in there. But the other thing about that is that its size is alluring to big schools to schedule a game in San Antonio, both for their fanbase and for recruiting purposes. We will never, ever have that advantage in Denton, since many people love the idea of spending a weekend in SA.

It will all come down to winning, as it usually does. If UTSA wins, they'll draw well, just like UH did at the Astrodome back in the day and USF has done in Tampa. That's who UTSA reminds me of the most, USF. A brand new program, in a big city, surrounded by a recruiting hotbed, with a local media that wants to help them. If you can win in a situation like that, you can go up fast. But, unlike USF back then, UTSA won't have a Power League to help them get ranked high. That's how the closed ranks of the P5 killed the hopes of the big programs in the AAC and MWC. I think only Boise State might be able to be the exception to that rule going forward, but maybe some of the top end MWC and AAC teams could get consideration to move up into a top 5 ranking like USF once did.

is it because MWC and AAC are positioned  to push a team up to P5, or because the teams you see that could move up happen to be in that conference? Personally,  I don't grasp why either UNT or UTSA couldn't move up? The both have great recruiting  bases, big t.v. markets (UNT in DFW and UTSA with no competition ), and I believe Coker is a top talent and from what I read, so is Mac. Either or both programs conceivably could be annual 9-10 game winners a year, so why couldn't that move happen? From my uneducated position, aren't  the pieces there?

• Upvote 2

is it because MWC and AAC are positioned  to push a team up to P5, or because the teams you see that could move up happen to be in that conference? Personally,  I don't grasp why either UNT or UTSA couldn't move up? The both have great recruiting  bases, big t.v. markets (UNT in DFW and UTSA with no competition ), and I believe Coker is a top talent and from what I read, so is Mac. Either or both programs conceivably could be annual 9-10 game winners a year, so why couldn't that move happen? From my uneducated position, aren't  the pieces there?

In short, No.

It takes more than those things you mentioned. It takes money and a fanbase. And, lots of it. We can pound our chests about the size of the athletic budgets or attendance compared to 5 years ago, but compared to the lowest P5 school, it is not even close.

• Upvote 1

In short, No.

It takes more than those things you mentioned. It takes money and a fanbase. And, lots of it. We can pound our chests about the size of the athletic budgets or attendance compared to 5 years ago, but compared to the lowest P5 school, it is not even close.

This.

If UConn, Boise State, Cincy, USF, UCF, UNLV, and others like them cannot get invited up to the high-rise, the rest of us aren't either. Hell, there are some programs who think they are in the penthouse but don't realize they are really just standing in the elevator. Some of them think their relatives are gonna keep them up there, but they better pray that the rich uncle doesn't get greedy. Because if they do, schools like Tech, OSU, KSU, ISU, Baylor, and TCU could be in deep trouble. But it will be a glorious day when some of those schools get knocked down to our level--having to watch others feel the same treatment that SMU, UH, and Rice had to feel. Maybe the single worst set of decisions that Tech ever made involved firing Leach and then allowing TCU to get into the Big XII, killing off their recruiting advantage over the Frogs, all at the same time that Baylor gets really good again. Tech's ONLY hope is that they get to ride UT's coattails out west one day. Otherwise, its MWC or AAC for Tech. Same can be said for OSU and KSU--if the schools go west, they get to go, possibly. If KU goes north to the B1G and OU goes to the SEC, its MWC/AAC for OSU and KSU. ISU is destined to go there, no matter what.

T Boone will make damn sure OSU stays relevant. They will go independent to maintain P5 status before they go to the MWC. 

The Big12 landscape is in for a change one way or another. It very well may end up like the old big east with an eventual name change and an almost complete allotment of teams. It will then get knocked down to the G5 and this scenario needs to be North Texas' next move. Teams like TCU, ISU, WVU and possibly even Tech may get left behind and that would be a good foundation of teams I would like to be aligned with. Add North Texas, Boise, La Tech, UTSA, Memphis, Rice, UH and possibly Ark St to the previously named 4 and that is a really good conference. A conference that in time could be very competitive. There may be too many Texas teams, but considering what is in store for the shaping of CFB that would be a good thing.  

• Upvote 1

Fun story on OSU.  Back when I was in college, when college football was still 60% amateur and ESPN hadn't completely ruined it for everybody, a friend of mine had an Oklahoma State Cowboys t-shirt.  I clearly remember asking him if that was a real school or just a cute cartoon of a cowboy. I was 20 years old and had never heard of them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Do you remember when NT hosted Oklahoma State at the Cotton Bowl back in the 80s ?  It was during the Fry era and the game was promoted with a Country & Western music concert.  There were lots of C&W celebrities I wasn't familiar with and posters were all over town.  All I was aware of in college football was North Texas and the old SWC.  I also had never heard of Oklahoma State.  I assumed they were another version of NE Louisiana or SW Louisiana or the like.

Was I ever surprised when a zillion OSU fans invaded what I had believed to be an out of town home game for NT. 

Not only did we get pounded on the field but the attendance was horrible and all those C&W performers went on in front of a few hundred orange clad fans.

One of my worst Mean Green memories.

GO MEAN GREEN

Do you remember when NT hosted Oklahoma State at the Cotton Bowl back in the 80s ?  It was during the Fry era and the game was promoted with a Country & Western music concert.  There were lots of C&W celebrities I wasn't familiar with and posters were all over town.  All I was aware of in college football was North Texas and the old SWC.  I also had never heard of Oklahoma State.  I assumed they were another version of NE Louisiana or SW Louisiana or the like.

Was I ever surprised when a zillion OSU fans invaded what I had believed to be an out of town home game for NT. 

Not only did we get pounded on the field but the attendance was horrible and all those C&W performers went on in front of a few hundred orange clad fans.

One of my worst Mean Green memories.

GO MEAN GREEN

And, that was before OSU "grew up".  One could only imagine the size difference now...sadly! 

On another note...saw that the Baylor Athletic Foundation raised $16,000,000 this year for the first time.  Breaking the old record of $12,000,000.  Saw also that Arkansas' Athletic Foundation...think Mean Green Club...raised over $24,000,000 this year...for another record this year.

Growing up takes money and fans willing to commit.

• Upvote 3

Attendance numbers have proven that Mac's able to engage the students and get them to buy into the "grass roots" fandom.  Unfortunately, when speaking to alumni (whether directly or indirectly - he is speaking to people who have likely bought into the program at some stage of their lives but have only experienced brief and un-sustained periods of success.  There is really very little that can be said that will convince them that things are changing.  

I certainly credit the athletic department and program for taking major steps to remove the excuses we have all heard when recruiting others to join us at games (the Sunbelt schedule, Fouts Field quality, Beer, etc.) but the one excuse that trumps all is winning.  And here's how we stack in terms of average CFB rankings over the past 20 years...

Start the year 2-0 with wins over SMU & Rice and watch the fans pour into Apogee.

Edited by jdennis82

Start ground up... Get students involved, win, students have some pride about them, they keep showing up, then they graduate and continue watching, then a fan base is born! I love what Mac is doing, now if he could just recruit a freaking QB I'd be happy :) 

• Upvote 1

Nice to see that RV does actually own a Green polo to wear to the official occasion. Too bad he (and Hank) don't consistently wear official green gear to other "official events".

I know this is going to sound harsh, and maybe even petty, but I've seen RV trying to work a crowd. They should hire Emmit to do that.

For a fee.  Tired of doing their promotions pro bono

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1