Gavin Culberson

Harry

Gavin Culberson, North Texas football

Former Magnolia receiver Gavin Culberson signed his National Letter of Intent to play football at the highest level in intercollegiate athletics: the Football Bowl Subdivision of NCAA’s Division One.

Culberson signed to play slot receiver for the North Texas Mean Green under the highly successful Dan McCarney. Culberson placed his thoughts on the big moment.

“It feels really great, because all of the hard work has finally paid off,” Culberson remarked about signing. “It’s going to end up leading to more hard work, but I’m totally fine with that.”

Culberson, who has a high regard for academics as well as football, chose North Texas mainly because of their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) program.

“The school itself is a very good school. I’m going there for engineering and material science and chemistry,” Culberson remarked about the academics prior to going into specifics regarding the football program. “I just love all the coaches and I really gelled with the players. The school as a whole was appealing to me.”

Culberson, who racked up 340 yards on 23 receptions his senior year, said this day took place because of his work ethic and fighting through every sprint and work out when others chose the easy way out.

“I never felt the need to slow down or stop myself. I always push myself,” Culberson explained. “Some kids would slow down and not finish through the line and stuff like that. It was always in my mind to give it my best go and my best effort.”

Although Culberson will probably redshirt his freshman year, he says there is hope he will start as well. He cited maturity, age and experience as reasons why, but there is one way to throw all of that out the door.

“If you’re better than the other person, it doesn’t matter how old you are. You will take their spot if you’re better than them,” Culberson said.

North Texas is a member of Conference USA and is located in Denton, Texas. It’s football program has produced some key members in the history of American sports. The program takes its name after Pro Football Hall of Famer and three-time Super Bowl Champion, “Mean” Joe Greene. Additionally, WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin once was a member during the program’s Southland Conference days. Former NFL player and Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn was a receiver recently. Other notable names to have advanced to the NFL include Brandon “Booger” Kennedy, Brad Kassell and current Dallas Cowboy Lance Dunbar.

Culberson had a lot of people to thank for his big moment, but he knows the hard work that lies ahead.

“My parents, Scott and Kim Culberson, taught me first off to push myself, strive for the best first in academics, then in football and to keep pushing hard even when in adversity,” Culberson started off. “Second would be my past coaches, all the way back to MYFA to my coaches last year, coach (Michael) Carraway. He (Carraway) was very knowledgeable about the sport and taught me to have good football education and knowledge, and so did coach (Sterling) Doty.”

read more:  http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/magnolia/sports/five-magnolia-athletes-are-college-bound/article_a2100f19-35f5-5790-a9b2-f74515ccbd0f.html?mode=jqm

Gavin Culberson, North Texas football

Former Magnolia receiver Gavin Culberson signed his National Letter of Intent to play football at the highest level in intercollegiate athletics: the Football Bowl Subdivision of NCAA’s Division One.

Culberson signed to play slot receiver for the North Texas Mean Green under the highly successful Dan McCarney. Culberson placed his thoughts on the big moment.

“It feels really great, because all of the hard work has finally paid off,” Culberson remarked about signing. “It’s going to end up leading to more hard work, but I’m totally fine with that.”

Culberson, who has a high regard for academics as well as football, chose North Texas mainly because of their STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) program.

“The school itself is a very good school. I’m going there for engineering and material science and chemistry,” Culberson remarked about the academics prior to going into specifics regarding the football program. “I just love all the coaches and I really gelled with the players. The school as a whole was appealing to me.”

Culberson, who racked up 340 yards on 23 receptions his senior year, said this day took place because of his work ethic and fighting through every sprint and work out when others chose the easy way out.

“I never felt the need to slow down or stop myself. I always push myself,” Culberson explained. “Some kids would slow down and not finish through the line and stuff like that. It was always in my mind to give it my best go and my best effort.”

Although Culberson will probably redshirt his freshman year, he says there is hope he will start as well. He cited maturity, age and experience as reasons why, but there is one way to throw all of that out the door.

“If you’re better than the other person, it doesn’t matter how old you are. You will take their spot if you’re better than them,” Culberson said.

North Texas is a member of Conference USA and is located in Denton, Texas. It’s football program has produced some key members in the history of American sports. The program takes its name after Pro Football Hall of Famer and three-time Super Bowl Champion, “Mean” Joe Greene. Additionally, WWE Hall of Famer “Stone Cold” Steve Austin once was a member during the program’s Southland Conference days. Former NFL player and Olympic bobsledder Johnny Quinn was a receiver recently. Other notable names to have advanced to the NFL include Brandon “Booger” Kennedy, Brad Kassell and current Dallas Cowboy Lance Dunbar.

Culberson had a lot of people to thank for his big moment, but he knows the hard work that lies ahead.

“My parents, Scott and Kim Culberson, taught me first off to push myself, strive for the best first in academics, then in football and to keep pushing hard even when in adversity,” Culberson started off. “Second would be my past coaches, all the way back to MYFA to my coaches last year, coach (Michael) Carraway. He (Carraway) was very knowledgeable about the sport and taught me to have good football education and knowledge, and so did coach (Sterling) Doty.”

read more:  http://m.yourhoustonnews.com/magnolia/sports/five-magnolia-athletes-are-college-bound/article_a2100f19-35f5-5790-a9b2-f74515ccbd0f.html?mode=jqm

​In bold, do we really need a media outlet in Houston to give a synopsis of where UNT is located and a very brief description of our program? I doubt that the DFW media needs to do that for UH. If it is needed, how freaking sad is that for the 4th largest school in the state?

• Upvote 2

​In bold, do we really need a media outlet in Houston to give a synopsis of where UNT is located and a very brief description of our program? I doubt that the DFW media needs to do that for UH. If it is needed, how freaking sad is that for the 4th largest school in the state?

I didn't take it that way. I thought it was complimentary. I think these guys write to the lowest common denominator for public consumption.

• Upvote 2

We're actually the sixth largest now :( passed up by tx state and UTA.