MGB breaking news -- Dajon Williams no longer a part of UNT program

Brett Vito

This was as obvious as the sun rising in the east. Dajon had zero chance of ever playing here after being dumped into Mac's doghouse. Sure, a lot of that is on Dajon, but what really damned him into the doghouse was his freelance play and the turnovers he committed with it. That is a mortal sin to Mac--so much so that he would rather Andrew McNulty play QB and hand the ball off and throw one yard passes for the majority of the game.

Dajon was always going to end up in FCS--he is a legit FBS talent with the right offensive mindset, but he will make a team in the SLC pretty good.

For thsoe of you that think Damarcus Smith is going to come in here in the fall camp and win the job, Mac learned from Greer that a trained busdriver is his preferred QB. Smith MIGHT backup McNulty, but make no mistake about it--Mcnulty is the starter here for a while, probably the entirety of the season. It has been so easy to predict what was gonna happen here. Mac picks Minimac as his starter, talks about intangibles and experience, compares him to Derek Thompson (you know, that SR QB that led us to a bowl game and was the MVP), and runs off the athletic QB who freelances too much. This was exactly what Dickey did to Woody Wilson when he was here, couldn't trust a guy who, heaven forbid, made plays by freelancing, instead of just handing the ball off on 3rd and 23 to run the clock out. Dajon's situation has played out almost identically.

If this thing gets to 4 wins this year, I'll be thrilled. The schedule is daunting, the Qb play is mediocrity at best, and the lines are inexperienced. I'm telling you that the SMU game will tell us a lot about this season if we lose to them--they are one of two teams on the schedule that should be wins. If we lose to them, its very probable we might not win 2 games all season long.

• Upvote 1

It is hard for me to believe that this coaching staff would not put the best possible player out there on September 12th.  However, the sting driving down to Austin and watching us just lay an egg in the one year they dipped down just a little bit to give us a ray of hope of beating them is still relatively fresh.  I believe as many here do that Andrew McNulty will begin this season as the starting quarterback.

If I drive down to Dallas on September 12th, sit in the sun and see the same perfomance, it will be bedlam.  I believe we can beat SMU with McNulty.  I also believe that the job is his until he loses it, and I don't know if he can do anything to lose it.

• Upvote 4

Dajon has to grow up.  I hope another program gives him a shot based on some of the good film he has at UNT.  Dajon has issues with maturity.  Football wise and off the field.  Hopefully he learns from his mistakes.

​IMO, this is it in a nutshell. 

• Upvote 1

This was as obvious as the sun rising in the east. Dajon had zero chance of ever playing here after being dumped into Mac's doghouse. Sure, a lot of that is on Dajon, but what really damned him into the doghouse was his freelance play and the turnovers he committed with it. That is a mortal sin to Mac--so much so that he would rather Andrew McNulty play QB and hand the ball off and throw one yard passes for the majority of the game.

Dajon was always going to end up in FCS--he is a legit FBS talent with the right offensive mindset, but he will make a team in the SLC pretty good.

For thsoe of you that think Damarcus Smith is going to come in here in the fall camp and win the job, Mac learned from Greer that a trained busdriver is his preferred QB. Smith MIGHT backup McNulty, but make no mistake about it--Mcnulty is the starter here for a while, probably the entirety of the season. It has been so easy to predict what was gonna happen here. Mac picks Minimac as his starter, talks about intangibles and experience, compares him to Derek Thompson (you know, that SR QB that led us to a bowl game and was the MVP), and runs off the athletic QB who freelances too much. This was exactly what Dickey did to Woody Wilson when he was here, couldn't trust a guy who, heaven forbid, made plays by freelancing, instead of just handing the ball off on 3rd and 23 to run the clock out. Dajon's situation has played out almost identically.

If this thing gets to 4 wins this year, I'll be thrilled. The schedule is daunting, the Qb play is mediocrity at best, and the lines are inexperienced. I'm telling you that the SMU game will tell us a lot about this season if we lose to them--they are one of two teams on the schedule that should be wins. If we lose to them, its very probable we might not win 2 games all season long.

​I don't buy this at all.

McCarney's preferred QB is one that minimizes mistakes.  If that's a busdriver like Thompson, so be it.  If it's Seneca Wallace, so be it.

I think Smith's TD to INT ratio of 31 to 8 (granted, it was at the JUCO level) shows he makes more positive plays than he does mistakes.

Regarding the freelancing QB who makes plays... it doesn't matter if his freelancing makes plays.  If his freelancing also makes just as many mistakes (INTs(not just INT's, but Pick6's) and fumbles(not just fumbles, but scoop-&-scores)), he's not going to cut it.

• Upvote 3

It is hard for me to believe that this coaching staff would not put the best possible player out there on September 12th.  However, the sting driving down to Austin and watching us just lay an egg in the one year they dipped down just a little bit to give us a ray of hope of beating them is still relatively fresh.  I believe as many here do that Andrew McNulty will begin this season as the starting quarterback.

If I drive down to Dallas on September 12th, sit in the sun and see the same perfomance, it will be bedlam.  I believe we can beat SMU with McNulty.  I also believe that the job is his until he loses it, and I don't know if he can do anything to lose it.

You insinuate that AM is not the best option at QB right after you say you find it hard to believe that this coaching will not put the best possible player out there. 

I don't understand the idea of throwing McNulty out there for him to inevitably lose games to inevitably be replaced. Why not start the guy that will almost undoubtedly be starting come mid season? Why give D. Smith a bad W-L record to try and climb out of? It doesn't make logical sense. Start the guy game 1-6 that will be without any doubt in my mind starting games 7-12. 

I am more than ready for Dan McCarney to part ways with our program and if he botches another season because of indecisiveness at the QB position it will be career ending for him and we will be set back another 2-3 years. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

What have you guys seen that made you think he was the answer at QB anyways? I watched the UAB game and saw everything I needed to understand he was not the answer. Everyone loves to bash McNulty but I firmly believe he would give us a better chance to win than DW this year, which in truth isn't saying much.

This seems so much like the Brent Osborn situation from a couple years ago. Or the Brock Berglund situation, not once when he was on the field did I think this guy had the potential to be a good D1 QB. He had two good games against Idaho (in the 4th Q with a huge lead) and against a terrible FCS team. The other games he looked like a deer in headlights.

Coach Mac puts the best players on the field at every position, he was right about Osborn, McNulty, DW, and if D. Smith winds up being worse than Mini Mac then he will be the next backup QB in line everyone on this forum is convinced is the next John Elway being sabotaged by Coach Mac.

I'm no fan of DW, but losing a RS SO is another blow to an already weak QB group. I have no idea what to expect from Smith, he could light CUSA up this season or he could be the next transfer to flame out. Here's what QB could look like in 2016.

D. Smith - RS SR

J. Greer - SR

C.Means - RS SO

C. Chumley - RS FR

At some point whoever is responsible for recruiting quarterbacks needs to be held accountable.

• Upvote 1

@flyonthewall if they lay an opening game egg against SMU it will leave a dark cloud on the 2015 season that we most likely will not be able to climb out of.

​All things being equal, I expect that SMU under Morris will be better than last year's bunch, just not 37 points better. I think we win down there, maybe a bit closer than we want, but I see us winning by 10 points or so. SMU is bad--really, really bad. If we cannot beat them this upcoming season, we aren't beating any other FBS teams on the schedule. I am actually very confident we will beat them, though. McCarney's MO is to beat the rival--may not win too many other games, but he beats the rival (see Iowa State owning Iowa during his tenure and our absolute butt-kicking of the Ponies last fall). I'm not sure we will learn anything big about our team after the opener--kinda like last season after we beat them badly, we were still small on defense and had a poor offensive gameplan no matter who was the QB against anyone with a pulse on defense. I think the same will be in play in 2015. We aren't winning games at Iowa, Marshall, or Tennessee. We probably lose at home to Rice and WKU, as well as at MUTS and La Tech. The 50/50 games are at Southen Miss and here against UTEP and UTSA.

That's why I think 4 wins would be an achievement with McNulty as your QB, a brand new OL, and a defense that still has a long ways to go.

Williams threw for 129 yards and a touchdown in UNT’s Green-White spring game, when McNulty threw for 342 yards and three touchdowns while working with the Mean Green’s first-team offense.

Sure glad Vito included this little nugget in his story on Dajon's departure. It makes it very clear how fantastic McNulty was in the spring game.  Ugh.

What have you guys seen that made you think he was the answer at QB anyways? I watched the UAB game and saw everything I needed to understand he was not the answer. Everyone loves to bash McNulty but I firmly believe he would give us a better chance to win than DW this year, which in truth isn't saying much.

This seems so much like the Brent Osborn situation from a couple years ago. Or the Brock Berglund situation, not once when he was on the field did I think this guy had the potential to be a good D1 QB. He had two good games against Idaho (in the 4th Q with a huge lead) and against a terrible FCS team. The other games he looked like a deer in headlights.

Coach Mac puts the best players on the field at every position, he was right about Osborn, McNulty, DW, and if D. Smith winds up being worse than Mini Mac then he will be the next backup QB in line everyone on this forum is convinced is the next John Elway being sabotaged by Coach Mac.

I'm no fan of DW, but losing a RS SO is another blow to an already weak QB group. I have no idea what to expect from Smith, he could light CUSA up this season or he could be the next transfer to flame out. Here's what QB could look like in 2016.

D. Smith - RS SR

J. Greer - SR

C.Means - RS SO

C. Chumley - RS FR

At some point whoever is responsible for recruiting quarterbacks needs to be held accountable.

I believe every quarterback you listed was argued to be better than McNulty who has never shown himself to be a reliable D1 quarterback despite more chances than he probably deserved. Next spring or fall, once McNulty's eligibility has run out, we will have our first clear picture of our quarterback situation. The only question is, will McCarney be around to see it?

Blast from the past below....

McCarney on why he decided to start McNulty

I got some of this in the paper today, but a lot of people are asking why UNT started Andrew McNulty over Brent Osborn.

It’s the first question I asked in the press conference.

Here’s what McCarney had to say:

Question: What went into the decision to start McNulty?

“All week long we evaluated the position. Derek couldn’t practice. He’s injured. It’s a lower extremity injury. He didn’t do anything all week long. We knew it was going to be Osborn or Andrew McNulty. We evaluated them, graded them and made the decision on Thursday that Andy was the most consistent guy in practice and deserved to start.”

“Both of them played and did some really positive things. Andy will continue to learn and grow from the positive things that he did. He will learn from the mistakes that he made with the interceptions because he is such a coachable guy and has so much pride. I thought Os did some good things when he came in.”

Edited by Cr1028

​I don't buy this at all.

McCarney's preferred QB is one that minimizes mistakes.  If that's a busdriver like Thompson, so be it.  If it's Seneca Wallace, so be it.

I think Smith's TD to INT ratio of 31 to 8 (granted, it was at the JUCO level) shows he makes more positive plays than he does mistakes.

Regarding the freelancing QB who makes plays... it doesn't matter if his freelancing makes plays.  If his freelancing also makes just as many mistakes (INTs(not just INT's, but Pick6's) and fumbles(not just fumbles, but scoop-&-scores)), he's not going to cut it.

​I guess we buy what we want to buy...

Seneca Wallace was an NFL QB he got to come to Iowa State. He got them into the top 10 at one point before the old Big XII just grinded them into a pulp. He had Sage Rosenfels, there, too.

But here at North Texas, going into his fifth season as the head coach, the only QBs we have seen that get to play with any regularity in his offenses here are busdrivers. Derek Thompson, Andrew McNulty, and Josh Greer. The other QBs that have failed to get meaningful playing time of more than a few games are Osborn, Berglund, Dajon, etc...all known during their recruitment as QBs who were dual threats or had big arms, which come to think of it, sounds exaclty like Damarcus Smith.

Look, I want you to be right about this--I think McNulty is below average for a FBS QB. I think anyone who can make plays should be the QB, not someone who cannot throw consistently downfield. The track record at UNT for Mac, though, says completely the opposite will happen.

• Upvote 1

Bad performances are going to happen.  How you react to them may determine if you get another chance.  Does advirsity make you stronger or do you quit and blame others.  I posed this thought before, but what if Mac is picking his QB based on the lockeroom?

No need to go into detail and specifics about Dajon on here.  It's obvious with the re-wording of the updated article that the department wants Dajon to get a shot somewhere else and wishes him the best.  They are keeping things low.

There are clues about Dajon off the field to see what could have prevented him from keeping the starting job.  And it's more than just having a baby.  There's plenty that goes on behind the scenes that is not made public.  Lots of guys have children in college football.  I seriously doubt Dajon is the only one on the team with a kid.  It's also more than just a facebook post.

When all is said and done, Dajon should look at UNT and say, they gave me a shot.  There is no way he can be bitter about UNT.  He started 3 games.  Some QBs and players never even get a decent shot at starting in thier whole career.  Not sure if he truly even earned the shot off the field.  Work ethic was in question, and a JUCO QB comes in and picks up the offense faster.

He had talent, but sometimes, that isn't enough.  You have to go out there and earn it.  It won't be handed to you.

• Upvote 3

​Well that's exactly what this head coach did in Tulsa several years ago. In fact, Mac started his tenure here by bad mouthing the size, speed and athleticism of the players he was left with from the former regime. However, he did go on to say during that radio show he was committed to winning and would play the best players on the team. So believing Mac I made hotel reservations and made the five hour drive to see the Mean Green battle the Hurricane

"Where's Thompson?" everyone was asking in the stands as McNulty ran onto the field with the offense. "Oh he's hurt" came the response from several of the MG fans. What? Well then why the heck is McNulty starting and not Osborn? Remember Osborn took over for Thompson on one drive at Alabama in front of 90,000 hostile fans and promptly move the team down the field into scoring position against the number one defense in the nation only to be replaced by a freshman named McNulty who then quickly move the team out of scoring position.

McNulty was embarrassing throwing TWO picks for 12 points and still no Osborn until late in the second half when the game was over and we got our asses kicked. I believe Osborn quickly took the team to two TD's only to be dismissed by Mac.

Osborn never made it on the field the rest of his time at UNT. As I was leaving the hotel early the next morning there was a gentleman out front wearing a North Texas sweatshirt. "Where you from", I asked.  "Iowa", he said with a smirk. I've always wondered if that was McNulty"s dad and that our head coach knowing Thompson was not going to play called his good friend to come on down to the game and he would play his son.

I don't think D. Williams ever had a honest chance playing here.

I have never listened to another radio show.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 6

"Where's Thompson?" everyone was asking in the stands as McNulty ran onto the field with the offense. "Oh he's hurt" came the response from several of the MG fans. What? Well then why the heck is McNulty starting and not Osborn? Remember Osborn took over for Thompson on one drive at Alabama in front of 90,000 hostile fans and promptly move the team down the field into scoring position against the number one defense in the nation only to be replaced by a freshman named McNulty who then quickly move the team out of scoring position.

McNulty was embarrassing throwing TWO picks for 12 points and still no Osborn until late in the second half when the game was over and we got our asses kicked. I believe Osborn quickly took the team to two TD's only to be dismissed by Mac.

Osborn never made it on the field the rest of his time at UNT. As I was leaving the hotel early the next morning there was a gentleman out front wearing a North Texas sweatshirt. "Where you from", I asked.  "Iowa", he said with a smirk. I've always wondered if that was McNulty"s dad and that our head coach knowing Thompson was not going to play called his good friend to come on down to the game and he would play his son.

I don't think D. Williams ever had a honest chance playing here.

I have never listened to another radio show.

​Ok, does anyone know where Osborn transferred to, and how he did there?

Edited by SilverEagle

​But do you have any insight or opinions about the subject?

​Yeah.

Hey coach, it's the most important position on the field, how about finding somebody that can play it. And maybe, just maybe, the stands might be a little fuller if we did have someone back there that people wanted to see play. 

End of opinion.

• Upvote 3