Denton Caravan

KRAM1

So, we come to the end of the Caravan with tonight's stop in Denton.  It was, by my estimate, the best creeped for the series...even beat Plano this year.  I am estimations a little over 100 "all in" for Denton.  Decent food...a bit of Asian influence with chips and salsa.  So can we say eclectic?  Attendees were provided two drink tickets per person, so attendees could pretty much sip on whatever they wabpnted during the evening...of course one could purchase additional "adult beverages" should they wish.

on a side note...the Dillman family was in town and in attendance from Sweden visiting their son.  Nice to see them.

For me one of the the highlights of the evening was when RV talked about baseball for UNT and pretty much indicated that we may....MAY...be hearing some positive news on that front soon.  Baseball is coming to UNT folks...book it!

but, the very best was when we got to hear from a couple of our great student-athletes.  Speaking to us tonight, and entertaining us as well, were Bianca Bosca, the "Crazy Romanian" from swimming and diving and Carnae Dillard, Conference USA Player of the Year, from volleyball. As I mentioned to several in attendance, if you ever want to know why I do what I do in support of the Mean Green, all you have to do is hear a few of our great student-athletes speak.  What wonderful representatives for UNT and oh so ever grateful for the opportunity to represent UNT.  These young people are really fantastic!  So, proud to help support these students through the Mean Green Club!  Interesting how each discussed the importance of support both financially and with attendance.  

Tonight we heard from coaches representing, swimming and diving, men's golf, volleyball, women's basketball, men's basketball and football.  Also, of course, RV discussed the recent $1,000,000 donation to athletics that will help with this summer's upgrades to the soccer complex, the softball complex, the volleyball complex and the Academic Center.

one of the drawing winners tonight ended up winning dinner with Coach Mac and his wife prior to the season. Pretty nice drawing gift...when the winner approached to pick up the certificate for the dinner, Coach Mac said "dinner for four at McDondald's"....joking, of course, but a decent comedic line.

OK, some of the others who attended to night...how about filling in some details.  All in all, much better attendance than last year at every stop except Dallas.  Fun times with some great members of the Mean Green Nation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

I liked RV's overview of the baseball program.  He stated that BB was the only thing on his "to do list" that had not been accomplished.  He surprised me when he said that NT could compete for a national championship in baseball.  Then, backed it up by reminding the crowd that Dallas Baptist had done it with North Texas (region) talent.  I think baseball is right around the corner.  Batter up !

As to the crowd, there were many more attendees than there were chairs.  A happy problem.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

Very encouraged by this baseball news.  Beside just the ability to compete quickly, it fills a vast void in the off season which would get us more engagement with alumni and fans of baseball.

Pfft! I still say we'll never raise the 4 million in seed money to replace fouts.  

I miss the old TY days when we used to get constant email requests from people to do an investigate feature into how the stadium will never happen while people on the other side had hot tips about how it was ready to start next year. This went on for 3 years, so we're getting close again maybe!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I miss the old TY days when we used to get constant email requests from people to do an investigate feature into how the stadium will never happen while people on the other side had hot tips about how it was ready to start next year. This went on for 3 years, so we're getting close again maybe!

Eh, Sexy Time photos or GTFO. Everyone knows where TY Sports bread was buttered.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

@Cerebus I agree however, they have needed to wait for this accounting mess to be cleared up before they could pick things back up.  I am hearing positive things about this coming back into play.  It would be great for not just  baseball fans but the entire UNT sports program which basically shuts down after the C-USA basketball tourney.  Let's hope it happens.

Edited by Harry

Baseball would be pretty sweet. Dallas Baptist is hosting their regional and last night I couldn't help but wonder how good it must have felt for the players and fans of tiny little DBU to send UT packing. Unlike in any other big sport there truly is parity in this and there is nothing any committee can do about it. It also doesn't hurt that we are located in a hub of talent and unlike football, really good baseball players are chomping at the bit to go to any D1 program. 

• Upvote 1

@Cerebus I agree however, they have needed to wait for this accounting mess to be cleared up before they could pick things back up.  I am hearing positive things about this coming back into play.  It would be great for not just  baseball fans but the entire UNT sports program which basically shuts down after the C-USA basketball tourney.  Let's hope it happens.

​I hope you're right Harry, and the accounting fiasco was the last speedbump, but the first rebuttal thought that popped into my head was, "... until the next speedbump slows it down again".   No one saw the accounting issue coming (except for those who were terminated)... what's next?

• Upvote 1

​I hope you're right Harry, and the accounting fiasco was the last speedbump, but the first rebuttal thought that popped into my head was, "... until the next speedbump slows it down again".   No one saw the accounting issue coming (except for those who were terminated)... what's next?

​Honestly, the accounting issue is a once in a lifetime type of mistake.  At least let's hope so! 

Baseball will never be a major revenue sport, however it does provide the athletic department with a good opportunity to connect with alumni and fans in the spring months and end of the academic year.  C-USA is a big baseball league and so, if we are truly wanting to compete at the top tiers of C-USA we should participate.  This is one of those @untjim1995 arguments where the BOR has the opportunity to show a commitment.  I truly hope they will.

​Honestly, the accounting issue is a once in a lifetime type of mistake.  At least let's hope so!

Baseball will never be a major revenue sport, however it does provide the athletic department with a good opportunity to connect with alumni and fans in the spring months and end of the academic year.  C-USA is a big baseball league and so, if we are truly wanting to compete at the top tiers of C-USA we should participate.  This is one of those @untjim1995 arguments where the BOR has the opportunity to show a commitment.  I truly hope they will.

​I can honestly say that I want to be proven compleely wrong on the BOR's views on athletics' funding going forward. Its just hard to ignore decades of proof that argues to the contrary...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

I think baseball can be a revenue generating sport at a place like North Texas. Granted, success has to be involved for that to happen, but I think UNT alum can't wait to attach themselves to a winning program at North Texas and I see baseball being a program we can have prolonged success in. I would not be surprised at all to see basketball and baseball with similar attendance numbers once baseball gets up and running. Of course that could be attributed to the decline of UNT basketball, but nonetheless I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen. 

• Upvote 2

If...IF...we add baseball, it will be done on the cheap with a ballpark nowhere near Baylor, Rice, or TCU. We'll end up with some cut rate facility like the initial designs that RV was so proud of.

KEEnP0M.jpg

KKdmk6v.jpg

First of all, if you've been to a game at TCU, I don't know what you're lauding their little erector set bandbox for.  It's a unique design, but it's shitty construction and the berm has zero view of the infield.  And I do mean zero.  You can't see any closer to home plate than second base, and you're inundated by a bunch of screaming little trust babies sliding down the grass on pieces of cardboard with their parents yelling at you for getting in junior's way while you're trying to get a glimpse of the action.  The seating in the grandstand feels not unlike the endzone bleachers of Fouts, you're shoulders compressed inward the whole time because the horizontal space allotted to each seat makes economy class on Spirit Airlines look like a day at the spa.

Baylor, on the other hand, really does have a top notch facility.  I have nothing but praise for it.

Now then, on to doing this on the cheap.  Give me an example of RV backed construction that has been on the cheap.  If anything, facilities are the one thing he can really be proud of.  I'm fairly certain that efforts are in place to raise private capital for the stadium, and that those private funds demand a certain standard of construction. Quality of stadium construction is the least of my concerns.  I am a bit concerned, on the other hand, that they will build out to a reserved seating capacity of 3,000 to meet minimum post season hosting requirements, then we'll hear every freaking game on this board about how only 500 people showed up for a Sunday morning game played in sub freezing temperatures.  

My biggest concern for a baseball program will be who they hire for a coach and who that guy goes after in recruiting.  CUSA doesn't screw around.  We can't have baseball Tony Benford.  

• Upvote 3