Reason #17 for D Smith

Aldo

Worst gut punch personally in sports history.  Although.  The Rangers 2 out collapse in the series is a close contender.  Involuntary dry heaving.

​Worst pro sports moments to me are a tie: Rangers losing Game Six the way they did and the Catch where the 49ers beat the Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game.

Worst UNT moment: LaDarrin McLane fumbling the winning TD away in Lubbock is first, followed closely by Solomon Bozeman's 3-pointer to beat us in the SBC Championship game.

• Upvote 1

How are we supposed to know to prejudge him a lazy spoiled ass if we don't have a Facebook page dedicated to his offseason workouts?   What if we might have already needed to write him off for the rest of his career???  HOW WILL WE KNOW???

• Upvote 7

I don't know about an all-time ranking, but that marathon 7OT win over FIU was like hanging me by my eyelids and kicking me in the balls until I blink.

​You know, this may have been the lowpoint for FBS football for a home game at UNT. We were playing a team called Florida International, at Fouts, in the Sunbelt Conference, with a horrible record, an absolutely putrid offensive gameplan, and missed several field goals that made it possible to get to 7 OTs. Middle schools executed better than both of those teams did that night. Even though we won on the scoreboard, I think most of us didn't feel like winners after that game--just not the biggest loser on the night.

It wasn't worse than the 2008 game at Rice, where we lost a heartbreaker 77-20, only because Rice totally tapped the brakes in the 4th quarter--that easily could have been 100+ to 20. Dodge was our coach, we would win 1 game the whole season and just got humiliated in the state by losing to freaking SWC basement dwellar Rice by 57 points. That was when I knew that Dodge was a horrible choice as a coach here. I gave him a pass for the first season, even when OU trampled us 79-10 in the opener. But when you couldn't compete with Rice to a point that you find yourself losing 77-20 in the 3rd quarter and they just basically had mercy on us the rest of the game, it was pretty clear we were in bad shape for another 2+ seasons until he was deemed affordable to fire. To me, this was our FBS lowpoint.

Even lower than this, though, was my sophomore year at UNT, in 1992, when we played Nicholls State at home in a night game in November at Fouts. We counted about 150 people in the stands, including the band. Both teams were just awful. We won 31-3, so we weren't in last place. Our coach was a pure high school coach, Dennis Parker, so it was also quite clear we weren't ever getting better anytime soon under him. I remember thinking that we would be better off just dropping the sport than continuing at this level of play. I guess the leadership agreed--we announced that we would aim for a run back up to Division 1-A by 1995 and fired Parker and hired Matt Simon, who was at least an experienced college coordiantor. Thankfully, those days are in the past.

​You know, this may have been the lowpoint for FBS football for a home game at UNT. We were playing a team called Florida International, at Fouts, in the Sunbelt Conference, with a horrible record, an absolutely putrid offensive gameplan, and missed several field goals that made it possible to get to 7 OTs. Middle schools executed better than both of those teams did that night. Even though we won on the scoreboard, I think most of us didn't feel like winners after that game--just not the biggest loser on the night.

It wasn't worse than the 2008 game at Rice, where we lost a heartbreaker 77-20, only because Rice totally tapped the brakes in the 4th quarter--that easily could have been 100+ to 20. Dodge was our coach, we would win 1 game the whole season and just got humiliated in the state by losing to freaking SWC basement dwellar Rice by 57 points. That was when I knew that Dodge was a horrible choice as a coach here. I gave him a pass for the first season, even when OU trampled us 79-10 in the opener. But when you couldn't compete with Rice to a point that you find yourself losing 77-20 in the 3rd quarter and they just basically had mercy on us the rest of the game, it was pretty clear we were in bad shape for another 2+ seasons until he was deemed affordable to fire. To me, this was our FBS lowpoint.

Even lower than this, though, was my sophomore year at UNT, in 1992, when we played Nicholls State at home in a night game in November at Fouts. We counted about 150 people in the stands, including the band. Both teams were just awful. We won 31-3, so we weren't in last place. Our coach was a pure high school coach, Dennis Parker, so it was also quite clear we weren't ever getting better anytime soon under him. I remember thinking that we would be better off just dropping the sport than continuing at this level of play. I guess the leadership agreed--we announced that we would aim for a run back up to Division 1-A by 1995 and fired Parker and hired Matt Simon, who was at least an experienced college coordiantor. Thankfully, those days are in the past.

Ah yes. Those were the days when we opened up the offense. No bus drivers back then.  Gunslingers.  Glory days. 

Edited by greenit

I'm crossing fingers & toes DSmith comes in and lights fall camp up. I'll be praying to sweet little baby football jesus every day until then..........

​I hope the same thing for Mr. Smith, and I would add Conner Means to the mix. If anyone should be even more motivated to take his game to the next level, it should be Mr. Means. And I will, once again, hope that the coaching staff will reconsider putting Mr. Dillman at TE and give him a shot at QB. 

• Upvote 2

​I hope the same thing for Mr. Smith, and I would add Conner Means to the mix. If anyone should be even more motivated to take his game to the next level, it should be Mr. Means. And I will, once again, hope that the coaching staff will reconsider putting Mr. Dillman at TE and give him a shot at QB. 

​Good point Silver, Conner Means hasn't been mentioned much here lately but his stock just jumped up quite a bit with DaJon's departure.  To me he is the next most mobile QB we have after DaMarcus now...

​Good point Silver, Conner Means hasn't been mentioned much here lately but his stock just jumped up quite a bit with DaJon's departure.  To me he is the next most mobile QB we have after DaMarcus now...

If Mr. Smith is as advertised, then I agree. However, I was witness to a very impressive run by Mr. Means during spring practice on a day that the QB's were not being protected. When he got out in the open, he was looking very much like Mr. Wilson in both speed and moves. Why he's been placed behind Mr. Greer in the depth chart is beyond me. 

• Upvote 1

Ah yes. Those were the days when we opened up the offense. No bus drivers back then.  Gunslingers.  Glory days. 

​I was thinking about those days and despite our lack of success, the quarterbacks Todd Dodge signed were much better players than we have now. Vizza, Riley, and Thompson were better than every qb McCarney has signed thus far.

• Upvote 1

​I was thinking about those days and despite our lack of success, the quarterbacks Todd Dodge signed were much better players than we have now. Vizza, Riley, and Thompson were better than every qb McCarney has signed thus far.

​That is because they knew they wouldn't get under center and hand it off 50+ times.  

• Upvote 1

​That is because they knew they wouldn't get under center and hand it off 50+ times.

​That ain't changing anytime soon, either. We now how this story goes--we watched it under Dickey until the 2006 season ended. Old school coach that believes in running the ball and not throwing it down the field very often, unless you have to. Hence, you get the FIU game last year where McNulty throws a pick-six in the second half, then literally doesn't throw another pass the rest of the game, which we held on to win by less than a TD.

No throwing QB worth his salt is going to look to come here, unless they are a grade-risk or have no other options as long as this is the offense.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1