Reason #17 for D Smith

Aldo

Procrastinating at work and I found a couple videos of 2014 Butler games on the youtube. I've cued this one play up for you

http://youtu.be/nnEujoSSORg

Although the ball could've come out a couple ticks sooner, check out that footwork, poise in the endzone (what an o-line!), over-the-top pass, outside shoulder.

AND HE THROWS WITH GLOVES ON.

C'mon kid, show us what you can do in D1 land.

Edit: Not sure what happened to the link but it's at 1:51

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

Who was the last African American QB to play the whole/majority of the season?

In 2002 Scott Hall tore his pectoral muscle @ UT in week 1. Andrew Smith started every game for the rest of the season and steered the team to a win in NO Bowl over CUSA champ Cincinnati.

• Upvote 2

For some reason the link isn't working correctly. It's at 1:51.

Or possibly copy paste this text: www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnEujoSSORg&feature=youtu.be&t=1m52s

I am spotting a trend here.  Andrew Smith led us to 8-4 and a bowl win over Cincy, started the first half of the next year before losing the job back to Scott Hall, and then you have to go back another 30 years to the mid 70's to get to Kenny Washington, a North Texas hall of famer.

We really need DS or DW to excel in Fall practice.

And before Andrew(rip)?

​Most will say Kenny Washington and that would be a pretty good guess. His last year to start was 1977 and that was his best year passing (1155). He was frequently injured so I don't know if he started every game that year.

But the answer to your question (who before A. Smith) is Joe Stevenson in 1980.  He started at least one game in 1978 (I think it was So. Miss) because Jordan Case couldn't start (because of his back problem). But he started every game in 1980. He had more yards passing (1582 vs 1206) than A. Smith, and he had more TD passes (11 vs 7) than A. Smith. He was also a viable threat to run the ball. 

IMHO, just using observations and not pure stats, I rate him as the best overall QB of color that ever played at NT. I don't know why long time fans of the program keep forgetting him.

Joe Stevenson, #10 on your program.

• Upvote 2

And to add to the discussion. I would say that when Joe Stevenson was backing up Jordan Case back in 78 and 79, North Texas had the best ever two-deep situation at QB.

Some might argue that Scott Hall and A. Smith was our best two-deep ever, but J. Stevenson was much better than A. Smith, and Jordan Case and Scott Hall were pretty even.

Why would any parent name their kid Woody? 

It's in my family.  Some families, like my dad's side, think a lot about heritage and "passing things down", regardless of what new generations might be thinking (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).  Woodrow, at least in my dad's case, goes back a few generations (I think Woody/Woodrow is from the South) and I consider myself lucky for my mom stood up for me when I was too young to protest.

• Upvote 2

​Beaumont (Hebert HS......which no longer exists).

​Beaumont Hebert HS and French High School(remember Louie Kelcher?) merged into one high school Ozen and I think Central HS came in right at the same time.  Best I can remember.  Can't remember the last time we signed someone from a Beaumont public school.  Don't even think we recruit down there. Houston, Louisiana Tech, A&M, Texas, Tulane, and others, besides Lamar.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1