Could SMU with Morris become a problem for UNT?

Harry

Lots of paranoid folks......good for SMU. Who cares? Not me. Let them take care of their business and UNT will take care of its business. Paranoia run deep in the Mean Green family it seems these days.

Or, is it just the same defeatist attitude showing up that "everything is always better every where else" than at UNT?

Remind me...who kicked the living crap out of SMU last year?

Thing is, we recruit head-to-head against them, so there business does affect our business.
  • Upvote 2

Actually in a weird way Morris is good for us. He's no longer stealing our recruits but recruits from higher up. Our problem is we rarely beat out higher ups for recruits.

Nothing will change in the recruits we're (or they're) targeting. They're not going to start recruiting Shawn Robinson (realistically).

Just because Morris is there doesn't mean SMU wont try and poach our commits when signing day approaches like they normally do.

We just went head to head with them for a dude.

The issue is and will continue to be expectations with that program. At UNT, we want to make bowl games and compete for a CUSA championship. Getting ranked would be amazing, but most of us are plenty satisfied with competing at our level.

SMU wants to compete above their level. I imagine the reason JJ eventually lost interest was because no matter how many bowl games they went to (and won), the complaint was they lost to A&M, or they weren't ranked, or they weren't in a BCS bowl like TCU.

That kind of attitude eventually takes a toll on coaches and players. Like having a girlfriend or wife that berates you for having a $250k house instead of a $500k house and a Jeep instead of a Mercedes. Especially combine that with their attendance. Why even try.

That kind of attitude eventually takes a toll on coaches and players. Like having a girlfriend or wife that berates you for having a $250k house instead of a $500k house and a Jeep instead of a Mercedes. Especially combine that with their attendance. Why even try.

Cause we pay them a lot of money. This isn't a charity. There are only 127 FBS jobs in the country, and tens of thousands of coaches who would love to have any of them.

I just don't get how these similar programs ("G5") within the state continuously blow us out of the water in recruiting. Obviously Houston is a bigger "brand" than we are right now, but what does UNT need to do (other than the obvious, win) to get us closer to the top of the pecking order of G5 programs within the state and region? I do not understand what Houston or SMU have that we do not that keep attracting recruits to their programs and essentially away from ours.

They have money...... We don't. Next question?

The SMU game will be a home game for us, as there will be a lot more North Texas people fans there than SMU...we will be undefeated going into the game. We play well at home and SMU will just be a home game.

Had this game been last year, I'd have no question that NT would have the better turnout at Ford Field. I do expect to see a bump in their attendance due to new coach excitement and a drop in what we bring after last season's failure to continue the 2013 success.

This is where RV must be creative in driving fans' enthusiasm. There's no reason this shouldn't be promoted as "the sixth home game" - even to the point of discounting tickets to Apogee if packaged with the purchase of one of NT's allotment for SMU. This game is hugely important on and off the field - we must have a good start and must make a statement that "North Texas will not be left behind" and there's no better way to show that than to make sure the Ford Field stands are, in fact, a sea of green.

That said, I've lost faith in RV's willingness to think outside the box in this area. Instead, we'll hear the refrain of how many local alumni there are and the reminder that "it's time to prove you care about your university." Why make yourself more attractive to the targeted consumer when you can complain about their lack of consumption, no?

Edited by jdennis82
  • Upvote 1

We have to beat to beat smu. Two wins are a must smu and utsa. We are in the best G5 conference. Just win and drive attendance. Beating top 25 wku in national TV is going to be delicious.

GMG

Growing up in Austin, the media coverage around UT was incredible. The 5 o'clock news would even follow and interview the guys on weekends they were moving into their dorms.

I'm curious, being in a tv market like Dallas, does something similar happen around SMU football? Obviously there's more media exposure for SMU than UNT, but to what extent? I'd expect something similar happens with UH.

Cause we pay them a lot of money. This isn't a charity. There are only 127 FBS jobs in the country, and tens of thousands of coaches who would love to have any of them.

You took my post to mean "We shouldn't expect any results from coaches!" When what I said was SMU fans' expectations are unrealistic.

We have to beat to beat smu. Two wins are a must smu and utsa. We are in the best G5 conference. Just win and drive attendance. Beating top 25 wku in national TV is going to be delicious.

GMG

No we aren't in the best G5 conference, even if we did better in bowl games than the others last season. The MWC and AAC are both above the other three G5 conferences.

We might win again and have a season like 2013, but I still think that season is either in 2016 or 2017. This year's schedule is just brutal to expect anything more than 4 wins. A 5-7 season is one Id take right now in a heartbeat. That we are actually thought to have to compete in a close game at SMU should alone tell you where we are this year. They are terrible and represent one of two sure fire wins. If you don't get that w, you could easily look at this thing being 1-11.

This thread has convinced me to become an SMU fan. Good job guys.

Welcome to SMOO fan orientation. Here's your scarf, blazer, smart phone for use at the games preloaded with social media apps while you're not watching the field (90% of time), and wallet sized version of the diploma sized shingle that declares your superiority.

• Upvote 4

No we aren't in the best G5 conference, even if we did better in bowl games than the others last season. The MWC and AAC are both above the other three G5 conferences.

In the bigger picture, the separation in G5 is pretty minor compared to the gulf between G5 and P5. It may be a step up to the AAC, and a step up from there to MWC, but it's a grand canyon leap between the MWC and the ACC.

Had this game been last year, I'd have no question that NT would have the better turnout at Ford Field. I do expect to see a bump in their attendance due to new coach excitement and a drop in what we bring after last season's failure to continue the 2013 success.

This is where RV must be creative in driving fans' enthusiasm. There's no reason this shouldn't be promoted as "the sixth home game" - even to the point of discounting tickets to Apogee if packaged with the purchase of one of NT's allotment for SMU. This game is hugely important on and off the field - we must have a good start and must make a statement that "North Texas will not be left behind" and there's no better way to show that than to make sure the Ford Field stands are, in fact, a sea of green.

That said, I've lost faith in RV's willingness to think outside the box in this area. Instead, we'll hear the refrain of how many local alumni there are and the reminder that "it's time to prove you care about your university." Why make yourself more attractive to the targeted consumer when you can complain about their lack of consumption, no?

The bolded part is simply not true. He has lots of great ideas to get fans to away games. We discussed them on the fan train down to San Antonio last season.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

MWC trending down. AAC stuck in neutral. CUSA trending up sun belt trending up. You are your where you believe yourself to be. Why not be excellent somebody will be.

CUSA excellence Mean Green commitment to compete and win. I believe.

GMG