a few basketball, football tidbits on the financial end

Harry

Several people have asked over the last few days if the terms of Jalie Mitchells first contract as the head coach at UNT are available.

Good question.

Sometimes it takes a bit for contracts for head coaches to come out because of one key point. The board of regents has to approve contracts that exceed $1 million for the duration of the deal.

When I asked about the deal yesterday, I was told that the board had yet to approve the contract.

Mike Petersen made just short of $200,000 a year in base salary last year.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/04/tuesday-afternoon-notes-a-few-basketball-football-tidbits-on-the-financial-end.html/

When you look at the money SMU is paying compared to us it is stunning.

You might consider changing that to "the money SMU donors are paying" 'cause it isn't the SMU budget paying those high coaching salaries. The difference is in the difference between the willingness of the schools donor bases to step up and make it happen. One is...one isn't. Both could.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

You might consider changing that to "the money SMU donors are paying" 'cause it isn't the SMU budget paying those high coaching salaries. The difference is in the difference between the willingness of the schools donor bases to step up and make it happen. One is...one isn't. Both could.

I would be interested to know if that is all donor money or if some of it is coming from SMU as well. Not doubting you just interested to know. Alas, since SMU is a private school I don't know that they have to release it.

SMU is throwing money at basketball and it has worked out so far. They also threw money at football, which resulted in 4 bowl games, and then Jones grew tired of dealing with SMU and appeared to basically quit trying.

I believe someone on this board pointed out previously that either Brown's or Jones', or maybe both had their entire salary paid by boosters.

• Upvote 2

That would allow donors to hold AD and staff accountable are you sure we want that?? ;-)

I want the BOR and President of the university to hold the athletic department accountable. I believe we all are, but the ones that really matter are not. The donors, small and big, must understand that their donation to the athletic department must coincide with their feelings of the standing situation within the athletic department. That is how one holds them accountable. Throwing money blindly is going to get us nowhere fast. Stopping the influx of money will open eyes and ears because money talks and it talks loudly.
  • Upvote 1

Looks like just some financial house cleaning....this from the article you cited: "At the same time, the university is on track to raise $1 billion through its Second Century Campaign"

That's a $$$$BILLION folks....just in case you were not paying attention.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well, if those salaries are not primarily, at least, coming from donors, then they have some questions to answer, considering this:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/park-cities/headlines/20141204-smu-plans-layoffs-other-changes-to-cut-35-million.ece

Looks like just some financial house cleaning....this from the article you cited: "At the same time, the university is on track to raise $1 billion through its Second Century Campaign"

• Upvote 1

Well sure, certainly no one in the article is suggesting that SMU is about to shutter their doors. Obviously they're quite sound financially in the grand scheme of things. But, it would be a bit of an awkward move from a PR standpoint to announce layoffs for the sake of liquidity while at the same time awarding a record multimillion dollar salary for one new employee at a non-profit educational institution--even a private one such as theirs. Of course, the money has probably been completely arranged and worked out by major donors, and if that is indeed the case, then there's really no problem.

I want the BOR and President of the university to hold the athletic department accountable. I believe we all are, but the ones that really matter are not. The donors, small and big, must understand that their donation to the athletic department must coincide with their feelings of the standing situation within the athletic department. That is how one holds them accountable. Throwing money blindly is going to get us nowhere fast. Stopping the influx of money will open eyes and ears because money talks and it talks loudly.

Yes, those nasty donors are to blame. Everyone can donate or not, but I for one doubt anyone withholding donations is going to do anything but hurt NT athletics. Donations already are minuscule at NT compared to other programs. NT is not dependent on donations, if it was they would have folded most athletics long ago. However, such things as a great scoreboard at the Pit and a basketball practice facility would be long delayed.

• Upvote 1