Water do you have it yet?

And experts were recently stating it would take a minimum of 3 years for lake levels to return to normal. Just missed it by 33 months.

The Core of engineers told Granbury folks it would take weeks for the lake to fill after the gates to the river were shut and instead it filled overnight. Said it was quite the site watching people scramble to get their equipment out of the low areas?

Rick

Still plenty of lakes and dams with no little to no water outside of North Texas.

ETA: Rule of thumb used to be it takes 1000 West Texas acres to run 400 cattle. Now its would be impossible to run 40 on that without a well.

Edited by Cerebus

• 2 weeks later...

Texoma went over the spillway for the fourth time in history this morning.

Medina went up 24 feet last night & this morning and is up 45 feet this month.

Now up 26 feet today

Texoma went over the spillway for the fourth time in history this morning.

Medina went up 24 feet last night & this morning and is up 45 feet this month.

Now up 26 feet today

What's funny is, the news around Denton is reporting all the flooding as if it's never happened before. And I'm not sure the last time it happened but when Harry, and UNT90 and I were in school it sure did.

Can't remember the exact year, I want to say in either '88 or '89 it rained and flooded so bad one of the two main bridges on 377 south of Denton washed out and 377 was impassible for a year or two. All the typical places around Lake Lewisville flooded to where when the waters finally receded there was a huge tree trunk that had floated and settled in the median of the bridge on I-35 E. Water nearly crested over the bridge across the creek region north of Lake Lewisville on east University/380 east of town. So this flooding is fairly normal for some of the typical areas.

And BTW, timing is everything I suppose? We had to take the F5 down to Texas State Univ-San Marcos on Saturday morning in a monsoon for him to compete in the Texas Federation of Music Clubs piano competition. We went to eat at the Gristmill in Gruene and then got north just hours before the rains started up again and the Blanco River rose 26 feet within an hour flooding out many parts of San Marcos.. Crazy.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I remember Rick, seems like 1990, (that was the year that Texoma went 4 feet over the spillway) was a wet spring as well, the 80s and early 90's were wet years that typically raised our averages. But the last five have been dry it is nice to see most of the state doing a big rebound, and the speed a lake can bounce back.

I remember Rick, seems like 1990, (that was the year that Texoma went 4 feet over the spillway) was a wet spring as well, the 80s and early 90's were wet years that typically raised our averages. But the last five have been dry it is nice to see most of the state doing a big rebound, and the speed a lake can bounce back.

That's probably when it was then. Another memory of the time, in regards to the water being released at Texoma. We had heard about the release so bunch of us went out to the golf course pond with a cast net and collected a bucket full of shad and perch and drove up to Texoma, bought a one day license and fished for Stripers on the oklahoma side. We filled a large cooler full. Im sure others are taking advantage of it now?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Some of the state has gotten a rebound. We still have parts of the state still in drought conditions.

texas-map.png

Bridgeport is full plus now!

Possum Kingdom at one point was up a nearly a foot higher, I guess  they are dumping water like crazy same I guess for Granbury? Where are you UNT90, Mike have you been washed away?

Edited by KingDL1

Bridgeport is full plus now!

Possum Kingdom at one point was up a nearly a foot higher, I guess  they are dumping water like crazy same I guess for Granbury? Where are you UNT90, Mike have you been washed away?

Flooding all the lower Brazos region from it.   

And boy, if you gotta be outside use your skeeter repellant I'm telling ya.  They are terrible.

Rick

Flooding all the lower Brazos region from it.   

And boy, if you gotta be outside use your skeeter repellant I'm telling ya.  They are terrible.

Rick

​Holy crap, that's the truth. We've had so much rain up here that several lakes and swamps have formed on the outside of town. You can't get out of your car at night without being attacked. They're even out during the middle of the day. We had to search one of the swamp areas for a person with a gun last week. Several guys had holes in their shirts from the little bastards.