Piss poor performance tonight. Not a fan of some of the lineups coach K threw out.

agree, but that was the way it was pretty much from the start to the loss tonight for this team.  Just played like they were going through the motions with no passion, no effort and no interest.  Very disappointed in this group.  Klinsmann will...or should...look to make some serious changes.  Just appeared most of the guys on this team just don't care.  Even in their wins hey we're lifeless.  In my opinion, Bradley had a bad Cup as of course did Jozy (who was dropped after the opening group stage).  Really don't need to go over it player by player, but bad passing and sloppy turnovers will be the lasting memory of this effort in this Gold Cup for this team for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Maybe the best thing for this program is to hit rock bottom, inspiring mega-sized changes.

Unfortunately unlike all American sports rock bottom doesn't get us a high draft pick. These are likely growing pains in an awkward transition from some mainstays like Dempsey and an assortment of new kids still figuring things out. Gold cup was probably not the best time to experiment with different line-ups, but Klinsman is building this thing for the long haul and it starts in youth development which takes years to happen. Belgium started to reform their youth programs about a decade ago and it is paying big dividends now. 

... Klinsman is building this thing for the long haul and it starts in youth development which takes years to happen. Belgium started to reform their youth programs about a decade ago and it is paying big dividends now. 

Klinsmann has been our coach since 2011, so....I guess you and I touch base again in 2021?

we're seriously talking "rock bottom" after a semi-final exit? there's no doubt this a disappointing and bordering on embarrassing loss, but the USMNT talent pool is as deep as ever...in large part to Klinnsman's work in unearthing more and more dual citizenship guys and getting them to commit. if anything, all this loss should do is force Klinnsman's hand (and ego) into making some personnel re-evaluations.

John Brooks has all the physical attributes to be a damn fine center-half, but my word his positioning and reading of the game need to develop considerably. 
and while Brooks develops, how about you play Tim Ream?
Gyasi Zardes is not a midfielder.
show DeAndre Yedlin some trust and play him at RB. Evans was better than Chandler, but that position is a black hole if Fabian Johnson is starting on the left.  
I love Aron Johansson, but it's asking a lot of him to be a lone target forward.
Mix needs to be first choice.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sold on Mix at all. He had an awful match against Haiti, and wasn't much better in his other appearances. I don't blame MLS, but ever since Mix came to NYCFC he seems to have regressed. 

And like CBL said, its silly to think a semi-final exit in the Gold Cup is some sort of rock bottom. Mexico lost the semi in 2013 against Panama (and should have again yesterday) and they got their act together in time for the World Cup the next year. Jamaica has played well and even gave Argentina fits in the Copa America, and the US just had some bad play. Qualifiers start soon and we'll be alright. 

Klinsmann has been our coach since 2011, so....I guess you and I touch base again in 2021?

If not longer yes, these things don't happen overnight. The US will always be at a disadvantage because of our youth development system until it changes. It's unrealistic to expect a long neglected soccer program to turn things around in 3 years when your talent pool is limited by a flawed youth development system. That's why he is having to recruit dual citizens to fill the holes. 

• Upvote 1

Like I said, probably not the best time to experiment, but he's still figuring out which kids can play or not. 

Which makes me wonder why he's playing guys like Dempsey and Beckerman. Guys who are going to be too old come 2018. Does he take them into the qualifiers as well, or does really focus on putting together a squad for the long-term? 

Which makes me wonder why he's playing guys like Dempsey and Beckerman. Guys who are going to be too old come 2018. Does he take them into the qualifiers as well, or does really focus on putting together a squad for the long-term? 

I think he'll keep both for qualifying. Beckerman seems to have been one of his favorites for a while and both still provide value over the next couple of years.

Been wondering the same thing...but, you have to qualify for the Olympics and the World Cup.  So these "older" guys with all that international experience could be worth that experience in the qualifying rounds.  And, who knows, if he takes a younger team he may well need one or two of these older guys as role models and locker room "daddies".

• Downvote 1

Sadly Dempsey is the only striker who can really score on this squad right now, which makes me a little scared of the not so far future. Hopefully Johansson or someone else can step up. 

Terrible Gold Cup effort by this squad....losing to Jamaica was bad enough, but Panama and on PK's?  Ridiculous!  You make two of five PK's...... really?  The effort on the PK's pretty much mirrored the effort this group gave the entire Cup.  Absolutely zero passion.  I really am shocked to see this lack of effort from a Klinsmann couched team...even if they, or many, are young players. Brooks was over matched the entire Cup.  Just not ready for prime time...YET!  And, Bradley?  Where the heck was he the entire Cup?  And Guzman?  Wow...does he ever need more National Team experience.  While Howard says he is coming back to the National team, is he the guy for the next World Cup?  Is Guzman? I am sorry, but this was a terrible effort by the U.S. squad.  Maybe it is in Klinsmann's plan to bring the team along slowly since the World Cup was played just last year and we have four to go.  But, this was a terrible display from the first kickoff to the last missed PK....fitting that it was.

Panama wanted this game and showed it.  And they played hard even as they were short handed due to injury and cards.  Good for them.

pretty happy this tournament is over.  U.S. ended up just where the effort they displayed warranted...out of the medals.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

KRAM, did you see the video of the late PKs called against Costa Rica and Panama in the quarters and semis, respectively? Curious as to your thoughts as a referee. 

Edit: @KRAM1

Yep....caught those Matt.  Sometimes it does take a ref a bit of time to make a call....maybe even to get the whistle up to his mouth.  Sometimes he may be making sure he wants to actually make the call....and in the case of fouls outside the box, waiting to see if the advantage rule might apply.  I did think the PK calls were a tad late as it appears you did as well.

i always smiled when a coach or spectators would yell "finally" after I blew my whistle waiting to determine advantage...one specific time I waited and the coach was going nuts...until I showed advantage and his player then shot and scored.  As I trotted back to midfield to set up for the next kickoff I asked the coach with a smile...."want me to call that foul now?"  He too smiled broadly and shrugged sheepishly.  I heard no gruff from him the rest of the game.  It is funny sometimes.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep....caught those Matt.  Sometimes it does take a ref a bit of time to make a call....maybe even to get the whistle up to his mouth.  Sometimes he may be making sure he wants to actually make the call....and in the case of fouls outside the box, waiting to see if the advantage rule might apply.  I did think the PK calls were a tad late as it appears you did as well.

i always smiled when a coach or spectators would yell "finally" after I blew my whistle waiting to determine advantage...one specific time I waited and the coach was going nuts...until I showed advantage and his player then shot and scored.  As I trotted back to midfield to set up for the next kickoff I asked the coach with a smile...."want me to call that foul now?"  He too smiled broadly and shrugged sheepishly.  I heard no gruff from him the rest of the game.  It is funny sometimes.

@KRAM1 Oh, I had no issue with whether the calls were delayed or not, I just didn't see even a hint of a foul in either case. The handball called against Panama (even as the guy made every attempt not to touch it with his upper arm and even though it did had no impact on the play) really affected the outcome of the tournament;  Looks like the USA will just have to get its stuff together and win the one game playoff with Mexico for the confederations cup spot in 2017.  

There was a silly penalty called against Portland last night as well, but since the good guys were up 3-0 at that point it didn't affect the outcome at all.

Terrible Gold Cup effort by this squad....losing to Jamaica was bad enough, but Panama and on PK's?  Ridiculous!  You make two of five PK's...... really?  The effort on the PK's pretty much mirrored the effort this group gave the entire Cup.  Absolutely zero passion.  I really am shocked to see this lack of effort from a Klinsmann couched team...even if they, or many, are young players. Brooks was over matched the entire Cup.  Just not ready for prime time...YET!  And, Bradley?  Where the heck was he the entire Cup?  And Guzman?  Wow...does he ever need more National Team experience.  While Howard says he is coming back to the National team, is he the guy for the next World Cup?  Is Guzman? I am sorry, but this was a terrible effort by the U.S. squad.  Maybe it is in Klinsmann's plan to bring the team along slowly since the World Cup was played just last year and we have four to go.  But, this was a terrible display from the first kickoff to the last missed PK....fitting that it was.

Panama wanted this game and showed it.  And they played hard even as they were short handed due to injury and cards.  Good for them.

pretty happy this tournament is over.  U.S. ended up just where the effort they displayed warranted...out of the medals.

I can't remember seeing a more listless attitude from our MNT than in that 3rd place game.  To be out shot 25-5 by PANAMA?!  That's embarrassing for everyone on the squad.  I'd almost dump the entire roster outside of the 4-5 that seemed to care.  God bless Guzan---without a few great saves this would have been a rout.  Keep him, Dempsey, Yedlin and Beckerman.  For the rest, bring on the kids that played their guts out at Germany and Holland.

Klinnsy has a tough decision on who to send out for the Confederations cup playoff game.