Recruiting Budget

Cooley

Does not appear to be budget numbers but rather actual expenses. Travel expenses much higher for UTEP than UNT for one thing. Easier to drive to say DeSoto from Denton than to get there from El Paso. Don't know what one can make of these stats as appear to be expenses...not budget numbers. Would love to see a comparison of actual budget numbers as that would say something about where teams expect to get their players...near or far and differences in recruiter salaries, etc. note that La Tech's expenses are the lowest. They seem to be doing a good job both controlling expenses and getting some good bang for their bucks spent.

Thanks for posting this...interesting comparison of CUSA schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree with KRAM, again don't expect us to need to lead the pack here because of our location but again WHY EXACTLY are we at the very bottom?

I really, really would like to hear from Dr. Smatresk more specifically where he envisions UNT being in athletics and what role it plays in his view of our future as a system. I know he has a lot of responsibilities and had a lot to clean up in a short time but I think we could really use his vision and roadmap for the future in times like these.

KRAM, is there a possibility to ask RV why LaTech is getting it done, again, spending less than us and probably (outside of 2 boosters) having less funds? It's really starting to hurt my feelings that they continue to kick our teeth in.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Harry, as a solid Mean Green friend, how do we do a friendly approach to President Smatresk for an honest answer? I know he is in deep in managing UNT operations, but I and many friends and family love Mean Green football and basketball (please get here baseball). I can call him, but is that the best way to go/support? I'll just get a politically correct answer. Unless I offer more money beyond what I give now. None the less, I have found that individuals that make direct telephone calls to leadership in Austin DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Oh well, Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

We can say that our budget/expenses are so much lower bc of our geographical location...that's a good point. But, how is La Tech spending even less than us in a far more desolate area and keep having relatively consistent success?? I really think this is far more a choosing to be cheap issue rather than not choosing to be cheap because of our location. Another prime example of maintaining budget above all else, much like Jim likes to point out. This also brings a little substance to Mac's excuse of North Texas being a hard place to recruit, granted how he said it and the timing of saying it was still very unprofessional and reaped of someone throwing dirt off his own grave.

A little off topic, but I'm curious to see the projected ROI for this new multi-million dollar union being built. I know there's such information floating around somewhere.

• Upvote 1

I think it is important to note that these numbers are for basketball recruiting. This changes how I view things because we recruit way outside our area for basketball. there is no way it wouldn't cost more than this unless we just aren't actually going on frequent recruiting trips. we have guys coming in from all over the country. For football, having lower expenses makes sense because 90%+ of our team is from this state.

KRAM, is there a possibility to ask RV why LaTech is getting it done, again, spending less than us and probably (outside of 2 boosters) having less funds? It's really starting to hurt my feelings that they continue to kick our teeth in.

Good point. And I might add, of the money spent on basketball recruiting only four players on the UNT roster come from the immediate DFW area. Louisiana Tech, however, has only one player on the roster who is from Louisiana. Since Mississippi is close to Louisiana, you can add two more players on their roster that are relatively close. However, the rest of the Louisiana Tech roster comes from several other states. One can conclude that La Tech gets more bang for their recruiting dollars spent than UNT. Can we conclude that UNT basketball recruiting is dismal? How can we spend more money recruiting players and getting less in return?

Edited by DeepGreen

These numbers relate To sun belt guys, the numbers and budget have changed with cusa. This is not even an apples to oranges comparison

Quiet you, discussing anything AD budget related on here is akin to talking about taxes on the comments of a Yahoo article about Obama -- everyone's got an expert opinion, but nobody knows what the f___ they're talking about. The people will show you how little you know. They will spell it out for you as though you're five years old. Ultimately you will thank them for oh so enlightening you.

• Upvote 1

These numbers relate To sun belt guys, the numbers and budget have changed with cusa. This is not even an apples to oranges comparison

Ok, so wouldn't that make this even more telling at how little we are getting in return for money spent? I would assume our budget has changed in the upward direction.

FLY, I know you are a big booster and I absolutely appreciate what you do for UNT athletics, one day I hope to be able to contribute at a high level to my school. However, I can't possibly help but wonder where you stand in terms of

A. What we look like on the basketball court

B. Why we still have so many darn away games in football and can't bring in a QUALITY OOC opponent

C. Why as a recent alum I have received 0 mail trying to get me to join the MGC or been recruited in any way to join Season ticket status. While at this point I will be joining as a lifetime member after I pay off my taxes, and can't purchase season tickets because I can't make every game. I find it very odd to have not received stuff. I would think it would make sense to really hit your recent grads 2-7 years post graduation hard to join your MGC and Alumni club.

C. Why as a recent alum I have received 0 mail trying to get me to join the MGC or been recruited in any way to join Season ticket status. While at this point I will be joining as a lifetime member after I pay off my taxes, and can't purchase season tickets because I can't make every game. I find it very odd to have not received stuff. I would think it would make sense to really hit your recent grads 2-7 years post graduation hard to join your MGC and Alumni club.

Going to agree with this one. Not only is the recent grad recruiting close to non-existent, if one actively tries to seek out membership and season tickets, without a guide like Fly to call people on said prospective member's behalf, it's damn near impossible to sign up. I have many times felt like my attempts to pay for things have gone like this:

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Grumpy-cat-no-5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Huh... 6 of the teams are brand new to the conference and we have the lowest budget of the 4 Sun Belt teams that made the switch. What type of percent increase are you talking about?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Still doesn't explain how La Tech in little Ruston, LA manages to get more out of less.

There is a lot of talent in the South, in general, and In Louisiana, in particular. La Tech is generally the second choice behind LSU in that state for HS recruits, plus they are competing aginst non-P5s around them like Southern Miss (who has fallen way down), the SBC schools who are still kind of type-casted as being lower that CUSA schools, and then Rice (academics separate Rice from everyone), UTSA (still new to the landscape), UTEP (far away from most other cities) and UNT (we don't care about winning). Combine it all with a winning history and a commitment to making their revenue teams winners--not just fielding teams, but winning--you get what you have there in Ruston--plus there aren't any other pro teams or bigger names within an hour of La Tech's campus...it must be nice to enjoy that kind of view from your administration.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely...ask him. Let us know what he says.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ok, so wouldn't that make this even more telling at how little we are getting in return for money spent? I would assume our budget has changed in the upward direction.

FLY, I know you are a big booster and I absolutely appreciate what you do for UNT athletics, one day I hope to be able to contribute at a high level to my school. However, I can't possibly help but wonder where you stand in terms of

A. What we look like on the basketball court

B. Why we still have so many darn away games in football and can't bring in a QUALITY OOC opponent

C. Why as a recent alum I have received 0 mail trying to get me to join the MGC or been recruited in any way to join Season ticket status. While at this point I will be joining as a lifetime member after I pay off my taxes, and can't purchase season tickets because I can't make every game. I find it very odd to have not received stuff. I would think it would make sense to really hit your recent grads 2-7

years post graduation hard to join your MGC and Alumni club.

A. We are mediocre at best in basketball, check the record.

B. home and homes are not that easy. Dont want to sell out for 2 for 1's.

C. Don't know but nobody had to recruit me. Got involved when couldn't rub two nickels together, showed up anyway.

• Upvote 2