When I had a house I did. It was partially because I was cheap, partially because it was one of the few times I actually got outside and exercised any. It didn't make me feel any more 'manly' but it was one of those things I felt better about because I did it myself. This pretty much extends to any work I do on my car, or any repair I made in my house. I think unless I ever have the dough for some large manor I'll keep on cutting my grass.

• Upvote 1

I grew up with a do everything yourself father. Thus I was taught to never pay a man to do anything other than the most major of tasks that you yourself are absolutely unable to accomplish. I spend a ridiculous amount of time working in the yard and while I do take a good deal of pride in it.... Yard work might be the one thing that I would gladly pass off to someone else were I able to afford to do so.

• Upvote 1

Ever since my parents made me mow the lawn with an electric lawnmower (ie. one with a plug and extension cord, like a vacuum), I'll never mow again.

I had a battery powered mower when I had a house and it was great. Never had to worry about changing the oil, or not having gas, or cranking the damn thing. And it was lighter, which helped considering the elevation of my yard.

• Upvote 1

No.

If I performed poorly in school my dad would drag me out to do some awful ranch work. I mean terrible on purpose. Digging fence posts in caliche with just a post hole digger (nearly impossible) , bucking hay when it was over 100 degrees (long sleeves meant you cooked, short sleeves and the straw turned your forearms to burger) , pouring concrete (IT. GETS. EVERYWHERE.) , tarring a roof (this sucks anywhere, anytime), etc.

He would tell me there was always plenty of that work for the dropouts, or I could do well in school and work in the air conditioning. I could think of no degree that would require air conditioning more than computer science would.

I took all those classes so I could stay inside in AC while I pay someone else to mow the lawn.

But hey if you enjoy it, more power to you.

• Upvote 5

I do and it's a huge pain in the ass because it's either an all day job or half of two days, and sometimes even more. I have a huge friggin yard, just shy of 1 1/2 acres, half of which in the back is under an apron of Post Oaks( yall have seen the tree house I built for the kids in them before). No way I could afford to pay someone to mow and edge it all on a regular basis.

Anyhow, when its manicured and done right it's beautiful and I'll forget about it for a while. Fortunately I live in the country and don't have worry about it all that much as some in the cities or HOA's do, plus I can burn limbs and leaves etc..

Over the years the yard has been a lot of work but I've made it a lot of fun for the kids. One time I built a Fly-By-Wire Fighter Jet for the boy that flew about 60 feet. I put in a couple of tire swings, a hammock and had a chair swing that swung from a limb 30 feet up. I called that one the swinging chair of terror. Kids loved it. 5 years ago I built the Rythm Tree TreeHouse and installed a 150 foot zip line out of it. I convinced the kids the zip line was for them but the wife knows better?.

One of these days I'll get sick of doing this yard and we'll end up selling the place, and I'll be fine with that, only I think I'm gonna keep the Hammock and the zip line?

Tt1DXfp.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I do and it's a huge pain in the ass because it's either an all day job or half of two days, and sometimes even more. I have a huge friggin yard, just shy of 1 1/2 acres, half of which in the back is under an apron of Post Oaks( yall have seen the tree house I built for the kids in them before). No way I could afford to pay someone to mow and edge it all on a regular basis.

Anyhow, when its manicured and done right it's beautiful and I'll forget about it for a while. Fortunately I live in the country and don't have worry about it all that much as some in the cities or HOA's do, plus I can burn limbs and leaves etc..

Over the years the yard has been a lot of work but I've made it a lot of fun for the kids. One time I built a Fly-By-Wire Fighter Jet for the boy that flew about 60 feet. I put in a couple of tire swings, a hammock and had a chair swing that swung from a limb 30 feet up. I called that one the swinging chair of terror. Kids loved it. 5 years ago I built the Rythm Tree TreeHouse and installed a 150 foot zip line out of it. I convinced the kids the zip line was for them but the wife knows better.

One of these days I'll get sick of doing this yard and we'll end up selling the place, and I'll be fine with that, only I think I'm gonna keep the Hammock and the zip line?

Tt1DXfp.jpg

Rick

Irrigated?

I've been doing my own lawn since I bought my first home in 2002. I just recently bought a new home and have been thinking seriously about paying someone else to do it. I live in a typical cookie cutter suburban neighborhood, so the lawn isn't very big. It only took me about an hour and a half to do the front & back of my last home, so time isn't the issue. Pure laziness and the fact that I need to drop cash on new lawn equipment is making this a hard decision for me...

Good news is that I have an 8 year old son that I can slowly pass the torch to if I decide to mow again.