I don't know his case specifically but I do know that if he has had turf toe for that long (probably had a dislocation, complete tear or fractures) he's flirting with a surgical fix to prevent a bone spur and a variety of other issues.

It most likely wasn't treated correctly the first time he acquired the injury and he continued to reinjure it.

This.

Continuing a feeling that started last year...

I'll be really worried if Kayden Kirby ever gets injured. Brian Ochs at #2 Center is so consistently low on his snaps. Whenever Dajon's behind him in shotgun, he has to dip into yoga moves to even get a finger on the ball.

Edited by Christopher Walker

Practice #2

My $.02

There seemed to be a few more folks out watching today so hopefully we can get several points of view.

From a QB perspective, the WR vs DB drills and 11 on 11 drills were noticeably pretty much restricted to just McNulty, DW, Greer, and Means today. McNulty threw another pick (this time to Buyers and in first practice to Polk) in 11 on 11 (wobbling duck that stayed in the air too long to the sideline). DW looked respectable again. I thought Greer and Means both looked better than they did the first day. The rest of the QBs did not really get a chance to do much to show off their arms against live defense so it is hard to rate them other than to say they all looked about like they did in the first practice. Both Greer and Means had some positive moments during 11 on 11, but it still seems like it takes a fraction of a second too long for their pass to get to the receiver. When they try to throw hard, it seems to me that they lose accuracy. I would still have to say that Shanbour throws the hardest ball out of any of them.

It would be nice to see a different QB in there. Wish Smith was here or we could see someone like Shanbour in there working alongside McNulty, DW, and Greer or Means to get a good variety of looks. We pretty much have DW, and then 3 QBs that are all pretty similar IMO. Maybe we will have to wait for Smith in the Fall.

There was talk of the potential turf toe issue with Shanbour. He participated in a few running drills and did not seem to be limping at all.

It could just be because they are practicing in shorts, but everything has been out of the shotgun during all drills so far.

I noticed #4, Jakii Moore breaking up several passes today.

#81, Khan, continued making plays today. He made several nice catches. He seems to get open and the QBs seem to look for him.

#3, Goree, Made several nice catches, a couple for reasonably lengthy TDs during 11 on 11. Not surprisingly, he looks like he will be a definite threat if we have someone to get him the ball.

#80, Rutherford, looked good again.

#9, Harris, made several nice catches. Seems to be right where he left off.

#16, ??, I thought looked good again. Didn't have a ton of catches, but he looks like a guy that could go across the middle and be more physical than the DB.

#4, #1, Kidsy and Smiley, both caught a few passes. Don't recall a lot, but Kidsy may have actually had a TD during 11 on 11. They have both looked decent, I just don't recall a lot that sticks out in my mind. Someone else may have a better account.

#42, Polk, must have had 3-4 more 'touch the QB sacks' today plus a pass knock down at the line of scrimmage. I think Thompson was at tackle when Polk was in (1's vs 1's). If so, not a great showing for Thompson in the first 2 practices.

#90, Johnson, seemed to get in the backfield a few more times today

#63, Moore, may have had a sack and got in the backfield a couple of times.

Several fights today. Mostly between the linemen. For example, Tauallo threw Ochs out of the way as one play was ending that generated a skirmish and a couple other dust ups. Sed Ellis twisted off against Khan (I think) toward the end that eventually got a rise out of Mac.

Next practice 3/24.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Thanks!

For fun, can you elaborate on a comparison of athleticism between DW, Quinn and McNulty?

I remember DW looking deceptively fast, simiar to what we saw out of Vince Young: long legs/stride but fluid in the open field.

Andrew is not as fast in the open field as DW, but seems quick and nimble within 10 yards.

WOuld you agree, and would you say Shanbour is somewhere in between...or something completely different?

Call me QB starved, I'm desperate to picture what our other options look like.

• Upvote 1

IMO, I would say DW is the best athlete. I am not sure how tall Shanbour is, but from a distances looks to be about 5-10 or 5-11. He is listed at 6-0, but I can't tell for sure. DW seems elusive and once he gets up to speed he seems pretty fast. Based on limited observation, I would say Shanbour is more quick than he is fast. Based on his size, he seems more able to start/stop. DW did have to scramble a few times today and turned one of them into a pretty long run.

Shanbour has a strong, and seemingly accurate arm from what I have seen in passing drills, but is probably benefiting from being an unknown/backup. It would be interesting to see him out there against some defense in order to be able to actually compare him against the others. I got a small glimpse in the first practice in the WR vs DB drill, but he did not have anyone providing a pass rush, and he did not get an opportunity today.

From a pure athletic standpoint, I think I would rank McNulty 3rd out of those 3.

Edited by greenit
  • Upvote 3

FTR: there is a variety of scenarios that have been taking place in practices. But for the most part twos go against twos, threes against threes (so far) etc. for the most part.....

It is very very difficult to make determinations regarding skill levels of performance in these types of situations outside of first team. Unless- you are evaluating offensive play.

Go ahead and read some of the old posts regarding spring play evaluations in past seasons. They're all the same. We cannot make any determinations or valid opinions regarding our second string when they're playing against our fourth string 3 out of five snaps....

Edited by SSP
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

FTR: there is a variety of scenarios that have been taking place in practices. But for the most part twos go against twos, threes against threes (so far) etc. for the most part.....

It is very very difficult to make determinations regarding skill levels of performance in these types of situations outside of first team. Unless- you are evaluating offensive play.

Go ahead and read some of the old posts regarding spring play evaluations in past seasons. They're all the same. We cannot make any determinations or valid opinions regarding our second string when they're playing against our fourth string 3 out of five snaps....

Thank you SSP. Your input is much appreciated.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Good to hear about Tillman Johnson. I think he'll be starting opposite Jareid Combs this year.

Also, good to hear that Dajon is at least getting reps with the 1s. I was scared he was stuck deep in the doghouse and might not be given a chance. I also talked about how big a deal it was for us to get a good, young QB to step up out of spring. I honestly don't have a whole lot of faith in Means and Chumley, and while I do think Dajon has ability, his issues have been elsewhere. If he can stay on top of things that would be huge for this year and the future. Hopefully Shanbour can keep up the good work and Means and Chumley can make strides as well.

Chumley seems to be freakishly good athlete. From a QB standpoint, he is predictably very raw. It will be interesting to see how he develops.

Shanbour is interesting from the standpoint that he appears to bring something different to the table than McNulty, Greer, or Means.

With that said, DW has the most realistic shot at unseating McNulty coming out of Spring.

Also, good to hear that Dajon is at least getting reps with the 1s. I was scared he was stuck deep in the doghouse and might not be given a chance. I also talked about how big a deal it was for us to get a good, young QB to step up out of spring. I honestly don't have a whole lot of faith in Means and Chumley, and while I do think Dajon has ability, his issues have been elsewhere. If he can stay on top of things that would be huge for this year and the future. Hopefully Shanbour can keep up the good work and Means and Chumley can make strides as well.

and I think not much has changed since then (in terms of my opinions).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...