Defensive Coordinator Chris Cosh Gets Mic'd Up

Harry

I agree. I was a big fan of Skladany's, but he seemed so quiet. There were times I had to turn up the volume on the episodes of Beyond the Green where they showed him addressing the defense. If he got in someone's face or dressed them down, I never saw it. Sometimes that is needed.

I agree. I was a big fan of Skladany's, but he seemed so quiet. There were times I had to turn up the volume on the episodes of Beyond the Green where they showed him addressing the defense. If he got in someone's face or dressed them down, I never saw it. Sometimes that is needed.

Oh, he did. Multiple times. In his own Clint Eastwood intense kind of way, but he certainly did.

• Upvote 1

I think we see a big improvement from the LBs.

I'm actually worried about the LBs for the first time ever in my UNT fandom.

This is the first time that I can remember not having at least 1 returning stud at LB (The Spencer/Kassell/Hurd years, then Holman, Mendoza, Nwigwe, Robertson, Orr, Akunne).

The only returning LB who had more than 30 (a very modest threshold) total tackles last year is Fred Scott. Jamal Marshall is moving to CB. Ellis, Wallace & Minor are the only others returning, and their production last year was very low.

We're really going to need some pleasant surprises from Finney & Bean.

I think we see a big improvement from the LBs.

I think Blake Bean will be a big improvement in the middle.

He was 1st string last spring. I guess they thought he would be eligible this past season, but something must have happened. He was impressive on the scout team, and is once again, 1st string in the spring. He is no fluke and I think he will stay in the middle.

He has starting experience on a D1 level, and to top it off, he is playing for cosh, who was on staff at buffalo.

Having Bean also enables us to move scott to Sam LB, where he may be a much better fit. (I know the depth chart has will, but the coaches said he will be taking akunnes spot). I think it's going to be hard to unseat scott also. With less to worry about, he can be more explosive on blowing up the run.

We have good experience at two spots.

I guess I mean overall. I don't think we will see Akunne-level production, but like you said, the other LBs provided limited support, and they led to many mistakes.

With Cosh's background, I suspect he will pay special attention to that group.

• Upvote 2

I'm actually worried about the LBs for the first time ever in my UNT fandom.

This is the first time that I can remember not having at least 1 returning stud at LB (The Spencer/Kassell/Hurd years, then Holman, Mendoza, Nwigwe, Robertson, Orr, Akunne).

The only returning LB who had more than 30 (a very modest threshold) total tackles last year is Fred Scott. Jamal Marshall is moving to CB. Ellis, Wallace & Minor are the only others returning, and their production last year was very low.

We're really going to need some pleasant surprises from Finney & Bean.

This. We've also focused on getting smaller, faster linebackers and that has put is in a situation where we are very small at the outside linebacker positions. Sed Ellis is playing SAM at a listed 210 lbs attempting to replace 240-lb Akunne.

Other than Wallace, none of the linebackers in the mix had more than 3 FBS offers. They haven't proven much yet, and they weren't highly recruited, so objectively it's hard to call this group promising on paper. I like Finney, but even he wasn't highly recruited because of his size, and while he should be pretty good this will be his first year of D1 ball, and you have to account for an adjustment period. But I think he plays a lot.

I watched him snap a white board in half during a game while explaining to the defense what they'd done wrong.

• Upvote 2

I guess I mean overall. I don't think we will see Akunne-level production, but like you said, the other LBs provided limited support, and they led to many mistakes.

With Cosh's background, I suspect he will pay special attention to that group.

We will see strong numbers from one of the lb's. That goes without saying. There is no telling who it will be, but the LB position is a stat filler and one of the guys will step up to the plate.