UNT pro day tidbits, including some performances

Harry

Nearly a dozen pro football scouts, including representatives from the Cowboys, Houston Texans, Chicago Bears, San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles, Carolina Panthers and New York Jets came to UNT’s pro day this morning to get a look at the Mean Green’s top draft prospects.

It depends on the year in terms of what I am able to run down as far as unofficial results. Unfortunately, the scouts who came by this year went inside to a room set aside for them this year to exchange information on 40-yard dash times since it was cold out.

Here is what I came up with …

OL Cyril Lemon — 14 bench reps, 30 inch vertical leap, 8-4 broad jump

LB Derek Akunne — 19 bench reps, 35 1/2 vertical leap, 4.6 40-yard dash

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/03/unt-pro-day-tidbits.html/

Those bench reps are atrocious. It's no wonder we aren't getting anyone into the draft. Decent numbers for Akunne and pleasantly surprised by his 40 time. Not to bash on the guy but he plays at 4.8.

And before people come on here and people say that Wintrich ran an integral core strength type of program I understand. But 5 reps is unheard of, it's actually embarrassing. Maybe him leaving isn't so bad after all. I have never seen numbers so bad before, ever. Maybe this new guy will come in and throw all that yoga pose strength crap out and get back to the meat and potatoes. Bc 5 reps, ouch, I feel genuinely embarrassed for the guy. Not to mention 14 reps by a 300+ pound man??Whew.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Our strength coach, in addition to getting our players ready to play football, should put our players in a better position to have a professional football career. Those bench numbers are sad and pathetic and would easily push draftable players out of the draft.

• Upvote 2

Yep..I don't care what kind of "core" strength our guys have, I hope it's all gone and they get back to the nitty and gritty. Wintrichs strength program, of course in hind sight, reminds me of the Coastal Carolina coach a few years ago ranting in a presser about needing dogs on his team, not a bunch of cats spatting themselves up in pregame making sure they look good.

i had doubts about our workouts because we are a slow team. so now we are slow and weak. program needs supplements. at least protein.

Supplements don't make you strong, pushing weight does. These guys should have trained for these events. It is obvious they did not.

I believe Wintrich was exactly what we needed at that time.. Needed to teach kids how to compete and win year round, now we have made the hire that will come in and make these kids push weight, eat (sort of right) and really push us to the next level. I'll say this when I ate right worked out hard and took care of myself I was in some ridiculous shape. (5'11" 175 lbs, and I threw up 225 8 times on bench) was my very best. Eating right, then working out, then sleeping right all combined me to be in the best shape of my life... Then I tore my labrum womp womp and that was all she wrote now I'm a fat washedup 26 year old

• Upvote 1