NT football vs. dorm parking story

NT80

DFW's own tabloid news station will be featuring a story on the parking lot controversy at NT over students losing dorm parking rights for football traffic. Ch.4 never misses a chance at sensationalism and loves to stir the pot as much as The Daily. blink.gif

Edited by NT80

I support football, but damnit people in the dorms have a right to park there regardless of a football game! mad.gif

This is just a temporary price that we have to pay at this time for the success of our football program. In a few years this program will go away with the construction of the new football facilities, including stadium, across the highway.

Why is football important to this University? Because it brings alumni back on campus at least 5 times a year. I will be the first to admit that without the football program, I would probably set foot on campus maybe once or twice a year. The athletic department does more to boost alumni morale and involvement than anything else on campus.

How would you like it if someone told you that you couldnt park in your own parking where you live! dry.gif

First of all, it's happened to me.

Second of all, the parking regulation form states that the university can close and change parking restrictions for special events. This includes football. If you don't like it, or don't want to pay that much money to park on campus, then you can do what I do: walk.

Or do what I did before I moved so close to NT, which was park off campus and walk.

How would you like it if someone told you that you couldnt park in your own parking where you live! dry.gif

I think what Cerebus is trying to say is that all the residents of these dorms signed a parking agreement that stated that UNT could have these lots vacated for University events. They didn't have to sign this agreement, but they did, so if they say that they didn't know, then it's their own fault for not reading something before they sign it.

BTW, I would not like to be told I couldn't park where I live, but this is pretty common at universities that host large sporting events. Some buddies of mine just got back from the LSU/Auburn game. They had to pay $100 for RV parking. The parking was in a student lot that had to be vacated by 5:00pm on Friday, the day BEFORE they game. They were in space #251, and they guessed that there were at least 500 RV's there for the game. This doesn't count the folks that tailgate without RV's (not our AD! laugh.gif )

How would you like it if someone told you that you couldnt park in your own parking where you live!

Well, if you own a house, the only parking that is guaranteed is your driveway. If someone else in your neighborhood parks in front of your house, there is nothing you can do.

Also, when you have an apartment, while there are often times plenty of parking, but there is no guarantee that you'll park in front of your building.

You should be thankful you don't work in downtown Fort Worth. When the Tandy Corp. decided to rebuild it's corporate HQ, they decided to put it on their nice parking lot that everyone, including people that worked in downtown, used. I'm not sure how it affected their own employees.

Guest JohnDenver

I have NO sympathy.

Sure, it sucks to be told that you can't do something... and a very immature response is to rage and blame other people. Their parking permits are for a certian type of lot. These kids can park elsewhere on campus and walk a little more. Who cares!? We all did it while in college. We all do it at our workplace. sh--It happens... All you can do is learn what you don't want to happen and it make so . Next year, don't live in that dorm. Live off campus (where you may not get parking either -- ala Westin Place). Live off campus where your friends won't be able to park in the lot without being towed (ala Ramsgate). Realize there is small print on EVERTHING you do in life.

To quote Andre 2000, "half of life is confusion. 40% illusion. Whatever's left I use to keep myself from losing"

No sympathy.

The bottom line was hit on earlier, this is a common occassion for any university that does not have adequate stadium parking, which is almost every single one. It happens at many schools and it just isn't that big of a deal. You park down the street for a few hours then move your car when the game is over. There's no need to make this into some big conspiracy or that somebody is trampling on your rights. Just go with flow, it's only 3 or 4 hours, 3 more times this year. Now if you think about it, is it really that big of a deal?

I live in a dorm and I totally understand why athletics is doing this. Granted I do not have to move my car for games (I live at Crumley which is far from the action), but afterall the university gives us permission to park on their grounds. We do not own the property on which the lot is on and therefore we must respect the rules of the property. It is for one afternoon and evening. It is not like athletics is asking for the entire semester. So any Traditions and Santa Fe resident who doesn't like the rule, MOVE!!!! If you do not want to abide by the rules of athletics, do not live so close to a stadium where athletes play!! It's called common sense people!! USE IT!!!!!!

Anyone see the story?

To all residents of Traditions or Sante Fe Halls:

I have room for 3 in my car. I will be happy to give you a ride to your car after the game. BTW, I don't leave early. Meet me at the gate on the student side after the game. I will have on a green shirt and a NT hat.

Then what the hell is the point of having a parking permit when you cant even use it! I really think residents should have guaranted parking lots baring an emergency or somthing like it. This is not the way to win the support of the student body for the team. Ive been a student here for 3 years and when I first came to NT as a freshman there were alot of people that wore OU hats and UT shirts and other schools this and that because they were in the top 25 at the time! That really made me pissed off and since then I've seen a big change and way more support for all sports and athletics at North Texas and it is good. Right now is not the time to discourge this growth. I honestly think it should be optional and students who are behind the team will show spirt and support by parking elsewhere. Social pressure always prevails when its for a popular cause.

Then what the hell is the point of having a parking permit when you cant even use it!

You are Right! ohmy.gif

WHY DO I PAY FOR A LICENSE WHEN I CANT DRIVE AS FAST AS I WANT!??! mad.gif

From now on, I'm not keeping it under 90, screw the laws, or any legally binding parking permit agreements I signed. <_>

rolleyes.gif

You have got to be @#$#ing kidding me?  Just proof that we still have some folks on campus that need to move on to graduation or retirement.  I can only guess as to who it was that called and cried like a Blue Raider that they weren't getting their way.  Good Grief!

Rick

Hey man I don't live on campus! I support peoples rights! And yeah I really think you should be able to hall major ass on open roads like interstates!

The students should be careful if they get what they ask for -- because what goes around comes around. I don't see faculty and staff throwing a big fit when part of one of our lots is closed off several times a year so that students in a nearby dorm can park closer for move-in and move-out. If students should NEVER be moved out of their lots for any special event (such as only 5 times a year for football -- which is also on weekends when most of them aren't even there!), then faculty and staff should NEVER have to give up their close-in parking spaces to assist students who need to move their belongings into or out of the dorm.

(Did you notice in the plan for this rare Thursday game that the lot closest to the halls won't be closed to residents -- that is a good compromise for a weekday game, but it doesn't sound like this has calmed down any of the complaints).

Guest JohnDenver

You know... I OWN my house. I can show you the tax bill I just received in the mail.

I can't do whatever I want with my house, EVEN THOUGH I OWN IT. Not just buying a permit to live there... I OWN IT.

If I parked a VW Bus in the yard and had it on blocks ... do you not think the city would have something to say? You don't htink they would ticket me? Tow the car away? Issue fines?

Hell would break loose if I even thought about building a 15 fence on MY YARD. It is above the city's regulations.

There are rules to everything. Following the parking contract ISN'T trampling on people's rights... It is following the contract of the permit. If I didn't agree to these rules of the city where I live, I wouldn't live here. I would live in the country where I could do whatever I want with my land.

The students should be careful if they get what they ask for -- because what goes around comes around.   I don't see faculty and staff throwing a big fit when part of one of our lots is closed off several times a year so that students in a nearby dorm can park closer for move-in and move-out.  If students should NEVER be moved out of their lots for any special event (such as only 5 times a year for football -- which is also on weekends when most of them aren't even there!), then faculty and staff should NEVER have to give up their close-in parking spaces to assist students who need to move their belongings into or out of the dorm.

(Did you notice in the plan for this rare Thursday game that the lot closest to the halls won't be closed to residents -- that is a good compromise for a weekday game, but it doesn't sound like this has calmed down any of the complaints).

Absof'ngloutley! Faculty parking should NOT be moved on move in and move out days! 'Fesors and staff are people to! biggrin.gif

Hey man I don't live on campus! I support peoples rights! And yeah I really think you should be able to hall major ass on open roads like interstates!

Bwuhahahahaha laugh.gif

I do remember the Right to Freedom of Religion, my Civics course must have glossed over the right to park where you want.

1) No one has any right to park anywhere on UNT property.

2) Students, faculty, staff and visitors can be granted these rights, usually by purchasing a permit.

3) There are usually terms and agreements you must sign on to if you want one of these permits.

4) One of these terms is, the University can restrict access whenever it wants !

I have had a D permit, I have had spots taken away from my possible use for events, I somehow managed to realize that the University was within its rights to do that, and I restrained my self from chaining myself to the doors of the admin building.