2015 CUSA Men's Basketball Tournament

no, but i don't understand the point of conferences doing tournaments when most of the time the best team doesn't usually win it

Because if you're from one of the weaker conferences it's a test to see if you're really that good. For instance, if KU lost in the Big 12 tourney it couldn't be compared to y'all losing in CUSA. La Tech knew they had to take care of business and couldn't do it.

A team good enough to be an automatic Big Dance type squad would've shredded through this tournament. It was handed to La Tech on a platter with ODU and UTEP both getting dumped.

• Upvote 3

Honestly, I think I am probably more upset about the WKU game the next season. We didn't have any bad call against us, but a cascade of missed chances in the final minute of that game. It was there for the taking though....the three the Toppers hit on a scrambled play with just over a minute to go to up four still haunts me. If we get the ball in that situation, we're probably scoring in transition to go up four....instead we're down one. At that point all the pressure is on the Toppers, and even if they do score they probably have to start fouling. Five point swing there....

We never retook the lead.

**I had to re-look exactly how the end of game situation played out....was even more painful than I recalled.

Edited by CMJ

Those who say LSU will get in before ODU must not know that ODU beat LSU on a neutral court by 9 earlier in the season. I will admit that LSU beat WVU and Arkansas and I know it was earlier in the season but I think that win should account for something. ODU had only one non conference loss and that was to Illinois State who beat Wichita State in the MVC semis.

Those who say LSU will get in before ODU must not know that ODU beat LSU on a neutral court by 9 earlier in the season. I will admit that LSU beat WVU and Arkansas and I know it was earlier in the season but I think that win should account for something. ODU had only one non conference loss and that was to Illinois State who beat Wichita State in the MVC semis.

LSU has a 13-5 record against the RPI top 100. That will be hard for the committee to leave off even with the terrible losses they have.

RPI/BPI is a joke. It's ALL based off of opinion. The RPI's and BPI's are calculated through opinion of how good of a win was over a team that someone has to form an opinion about OR how bad a loss was to a team that also someone had to form an opinion about. These opinion makers are going to put their bread and butter (P5 athletics) ahead of mid-majors/G5 schools 99/100 times. They are presumed better every single season and there for they have more wins over "tougher" competition. And after decades of being presumed better and being told you're better, some programs actually rise up and become truly better. But, don't let these RPI rankings or "wins over RPI Top 100" fool you. It's a system created for and by the P5 to ensure P5 supremacy.

• Downvote 2

RPI/BPI is a joke. It's ALL based off of opinion. The RPI's and BPI's are calculated through opinion of how good of a win was over a team that someone has to form an opinion about OR how bad a loss was to a team that also someone had to form an opinion about. These opinion makers are going to put their bread and butter (P5 athletics) ahead of mid-majors/G5 schools 99/100 times. They are presumed better every single season and there for they have more wins over "tougher" competition. And after decades of being presumed better and being told you're better, some programs actually rise up and become truly better. But, don't let these RPI rankings or "wins over RPI Top 100" fool you. It's a system created for and by the P5 to ensure P5 supremacy.

RPI is actually a pretty standard mathematical model; no opinion involved at all? It may not be a totally realistic ranking as far as how good it measures all schools, but it's one of the best things there is to remove eye test bias. I remember about 10-12 years ago when everyone said the MVC gamed the system (I think they got 4 schools in). That is actually what led the committee to lessen its importance in the stated factor of selecting the field.

• Upvote 3

RPI is actually a pretty standard mathematical model; no opinion involved at all? It may not be a totally realistic ranking as far as how good it measures all schools, but it's one of the best things there is to remove eye test bias. I remember about 10-12 years ago when everyone said the MVC gamed the system (I think they got 4 schools in). That is actually what led the committee to lessen its importance in the stated factor of selecting the field.

Exactly. RPI has ZERO opinion involved, at least beyond setting the formula, none of which involves subjective opinion based on anything that could favor the power conferences.

If you stripped the names off of every team and gave me 3 pieces of information (winner, loser, home/away/neutral location) for every game played this season, the RPI rankings I came up with would be identical to what exists now.

I know in baseball, the SEC exploits the RPI by playing nothing OOC except the best teams in the most horrific conferences. That way, they get to rack up opponent wins and go .500 in conference, which lands them all with top 5 RPIs because "Our conference is soooo harrrrdddd!" I think they revamped it to make road wins count more than home wins because those schools very, very rarely leave home for OOC opponents.

I don't follow how the basketball RPI works, but it's got to be different because you really do see some marquee matchups early in the season.

CUSA is going to have one team in as a probable 15/16 seed. Getting two teams in is a pipe dream.

The announcers of the game said UAB could go as high as a 12 seed, but Lunardi has them at a 15 seed. I do not think they will get lower than a 14 seed but there are still a lot of games to be played which will affect seeding.

• Upvote 1