If North Texas Wins Less Then 5 Games Should...

Dr. Seuss

So getting rid of RV, and McCarney means firing some people who are writing checks behind the scenes to make things happen. That is the way it works. Sorry to all of you haters, but starting from scratch will be more painful than you realize.

So what you are saying is the allegence is to RV, and not UNT?

Sadly, this post seems to confirm how small time of an AD we have, working more to secure allegences to benefit himself than the university.

#bigdonorsmanipulated

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

So what you are saying is the allegence is to RV, and not UNT?

Sadly, this post seems to confirm how small time of an AD we have, working more to secure allegences to benefit himself than the university.

#bigdonorsmanipulated

So you are allowed to say that if X doesn't happen or I get mad at the AD or school for whatever reason, I am going to stop going to games, giving, etc., but the same reaction from a big donor means that they are being manipulated? Just want to make sure that I understand.

• Upvote 1

So you are allowed to say that if X doesn't happen or I get mad at the AD or school for whatever reason, I am going to stop going to games, giving, etc., but the same reaction from a big donor means that they are being manipulated? Just want to make sure that I understand.

When the donor cares more about the AD keeping his job than the AD doing his job, that's a huge problem.

Is that so hard to understand?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

From my perspective you have to go back when RV was hired. His mission was to get North Texas (UNT) competitive and move up in the food chain for conferences. At the time Fouts was in deplorable condition. He began to attend student orientation to get students to wear UNT gear and become proud of their University. Then he was hamstrung by a Former President remember Women's BB Coach 90 Feet of Heat. A lot of the yelping also falls on previous presidents and the BOR. They have to approve the contracts. Many folks on here focus solely on the big 3 sports. What about some of the other sports that have been doing well but not a variety of coverage. Softball relative new hire coach but winning, Soccer the coach has been here for a long time and continues to win.

Am I disappointed about last season football, this season MBB and WBB, yes. However, if memory is accurate the search for the AD and football coach was comprised of committees who are alumni. They made recommendations to the BOR and President for the AD hire and recommendations to the AD for the football coach hire. I do not recall the BB coaches process of hiring.

So now comes the financial side and the question becomes since this is the end of the 4th year for both head coaches for MBB and WBB what does the AD do. Let the contracts expire (do know the length of each contract) and began the process of looking for new coaches? What would it take $$$$ to hire a new coach and would he go hire a successful coach at the DII level?

I do not know what the contract for Mac states in terms of performance requirements but would think there is some sort of stipulation concerning graduation rates, wins and losses.

Just some of my thoughts on the state of our athletic department.

GMG

• Upvote 1

When the donor cares more about the AD keeping his job than the AD doing his job, that's a huge problem.

Is that so hard to understand?

Maybe the donor thinks that things are going in the right direction and is happy with how their money is being spent and that removing the person who is doing that good job is a bad idea. Or maybe they will withhold further giving until the new guy proves that they can do the job in a way that they trust. Just because they don't agree with you does not mean that they are putting their personal relationship first.

Maybe the donor thinks that things are going in the right direction and is happy with how their money is being spent and that removing the person who is doing that good job is a bad idea. Or maybe they will withhold further giving until the new guy proves that they can do the job in a way that they trust. Just because they don't agree with you does not mean that they are putting their personal relationship first.

What revenue sport went in the right direction in 2014?

How can 120 some odd games under .500 in his career as AD lead anyone to expect anything different going forward?

How does the Stephens, Benford, Dodge, and Peterson hires give any big donor the confidence that RV can hire suitable replacements?

And Fly didn't say they were happy with the way things were going with UNT athletics, he said they want to keep RV.

Personal relationships can lead to manipulation if both parties aren't honest with themselves about the other party's goal.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

This stuff of being content and just enough is getting to be really, really old. I don't understand how Prez S could sit by the wayside and watch this take place. I have a feeling he can't.

Surely Prez S will question what is happening in the revenue sports! I really want to believe that then I look at his long time UTA background and remember that UTA stands for " unbelievably tainted athletics" !!!

We can build a stadium, We can build practice fields, We can hire a name football coach.

Does anyone know how the difference between McCarney salary and dodge's salary was raised? Because I do. That is why when you people insult the decision to hire McCarney, extend him etc, you are indirectly insulting some major donors. So getting rid of RV, and McCarney means firing some people who are writing checks behind the scenes to make things happen. That is the way it works. Sorry to all of you haters, but starting from scratch will be more painful than you realize.

You guys are insane.

Carry on, why.....

I agree with please, please, please just win baby.

#itsallajoke

As I mentioned to you before....stop feeding these people. It's no use.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Im getting a vibe that this is a throw away year. Probably been viewed that way for a while with the 2 body bags. The new DC, the jucos, then the way the cusa schedule looks, seems like we decided to take the hard schedule this year and the messed up bye week, so we can get an easier schedule next year. If we start slow, I hope we start preparing for 2016.

Im getting a vibe that this is a throw away year. Probably been viewed that way for a while with the 2 body bags. The new DC, the jucos, then the way the cusa schedule looks, seems like we decided to take the hard schedule this year and the messed up bye week, so we can get an easier schedule next year. If we start slow, I hope we start preparing for 2016.

How does this attitude make you feel if you have paid for club seats , contributed to the Mean Green Club at a high level and been to many out of town games on your own dime ? How about betrayed, used, and lied to by MAC " losing is not acceptable". How about LA Tech , UAB, UTSA, UTEP etc. not national powers but teams we laid down for and how about RICE 6'5" receivers against our 5'10" DBs Give me a frickin' brake--- and you want to cry and bellyache to the people who have shelled out big time for you . MAC read the comments from the new SMU. Coach in this morning 's DMNS. Back the admins and Prez S into a corner otherwise with what Morris said I' ll give seven and take SMU in that first game. It's time for MAC to quit crying and start coaching words are cheap it's what you do on the field that counts!

• Downvote 1

You think it's okay for our top donors to care more about their personal relationship with RV than the success of the program?

Prime example of the reasoning behind my comment to Fly.

Anyone who even for one second doubts Fly's support for UNT regardless of personnel is just ignorant of the commitment Fly has and has proved over and over for years and years.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Prime example of the reasoning behind my comment to Fly.

Anyone who even for one second doubts Fly's support for UNT regardless of personnel is just ignorant of the commitment Fly has and has proved over and over for years and years.

But that is what his post reads like. Maybe you can further help Fly's case out by clarifying where we are with some donors and their loyalty to RV vs. loyalty to UNT.

Let me state that I don't think it is bad having a few donors that come in for the sake of a person. I just hope we don't have some with pockets so deep (and interests so skewed) that we end up with a conflict of interest when the person(s) aren't doing their job. I think that is what people are fearing because of Fly's post.

And, quite honestly, if you feel that this answer is only private-conversation worthy, then maybe those fears are justified. I think this AD needs a lot more transparency right now.

• Upvote 2

Look, if we hired a new AD, the FIRST thing he would do would be to contact the major donors and let them know that he wants to improve upon what RV has done.

Like Fly said, it happens at other universities. But guess what? They get through it fine and for many it ends up being an improvement, both in donation level and on the field product.

The insinuation that RV is indisposable is laughable. And that is being very nice.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I don't believe the original question is the right approach to our problem. We have no clue just how tough our schedule is yet. Every season there are surprises. Some teams are worse than they were expected to be, some are better. I just don't think you can say X number of wins is the line in the sand.

I understand, very few fans are happy about where the program is right now. I know I'm not happy. But, can't we at least see some Spring ball before we ball before we get the pitchforks out.

At this point, my one demand for next season is beating UTSA. I am sick and tired of losing to them. If North Texas falls to 0-3 against UTSA, changes will certainly need to be made. Many changes.

I don't think so. The schedule "appears" to be tougher than last year. McCarney punched his ticket with RV after winning the HoD Bowl. It would take an 0-12 season filled with Teflon Todd like stupidity around the program (NAACP, quitting players, fighting with his DC, etc.) for RV to even sniff teh thought of canning Dan.

• Upvote 1

Coach Mac ain't going anywhere--at the very earliest, it would be 2017, and if announces he wants to retire after 2018, his last year of his contract, he'll get to do that, too.

I don't think any AD will do much better at winning in sports people care about just because the BOR and administration don't care about winning. Do I think that RV should keep his job? No I don't--his revenue sports hires/extensions have generally been atroicous. The other sports don't matter--they don't bring in revenue or publicity to the university. Even womens hoops is barely on the radar for this, but it does count. The other two sports are where you can make your money. RV has hired or extended Darrell Dickey, Todd Dodge, Dan McCarney, Shanice Stephens, Karen Aston, Rick Petersen, Johnny Jones, and Tony Benford. A few hits, but a lot of strikeouts.

Our big donors like being close to the AD--it makes them feel like their buddies that went to Texas , A&M, Tech, etc...who have access to the ADs there. Only problem is that we don't have anywhere close to the number of big donors that they do, nor do we have enough younger donors in their 40s-60s, since we basically gave up the sport of football for the 80s and 90s. So those big donors really don't have to worry about any pressure on RV from other donors. They know the BOR doesn't care if we win or not, they just care that he keeps us in budget.

RV will be here longer going forward than McCarney, Benford, and Petersen combined if he wants to. I have no doubt about this. He gets extended when we lose big time in these sports, just like Lee Jackson gets extended even with the stuff that has happened on his watch. Call it cronyism, call it prioritizing, etc...The BOR cares about music, arts, education, and keeping it all at a low cost. That has always been their mission, thru the decades--to think otherwise about it ever changing is defying all of that history, both short-term and long-term. We don't care about winning here, it just doesn't matter. We care about three things when it comes to athletics, in this order: Stay within budget, don't commit anything illegal to get in trouble, and have tailgating open to get the people who care about sports the opportunity to have a good time together. Nothing else...

Edited by untjim1995

How does this attitude make you feel if you have paid for club seats , contributed to the Mean Green Club at a high level and been to many out of town games on your own dime ? How about betrayed, used, and lied to by MAC " losing is not acceptable". How about LA Tech , UAB, UTSA, UTEP etc. not national powers but teams we laid down for and how about RICE 6'5" receivers against our 5'10" DBs Give me a frickin' brake--- and you want to cry and bellyache to the people who have shelled out big time for you . MAC read the comments from the new SMU. Coach in this morning 's DMNS. Back the admins and Prez S into a corner otherwise with what Morris said I' ll give seven and take SMU in that first game. It's time for MAC to quit crying and start coaching words are cheap it's what you do on the field that counts!

I'm not rich or anything, but this is easy money... Care to throw $100 on that? I will.

If we have QB play same as last year then, Chico should and will be gone.

UNT 90- I want to know the true story of what RV did to you LOL. Sleep with your wife? Ran over your dog? What is it?

Lifer had great points, RV as done a lot for our school, I can understand disagreement on some things that you would like him to do differently, but damn!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If we have QB play same as last year then, Chico should and will be gone.

UNT 90- I want to know the true story of what RV did to you LOL. Sleep with your wife? Ran over your dog? What is it?

Lifer had great points, RV as done a lot for our school, I can understand disagreement on some things that you would like him to do differently, but damn!

RV hired a coach that wrecked the UNT basketball program. If that wasn't bad enough, he publicly blame a group of 20 year old kids for HIS mistake.

Dispicable.

Then he mismanaged the schedule so bad that we have a 5 home game schedule in 2015. The second such schedule in 4 years. And what did he do when given the chance to stand up and say that, yes, we are going to have 5 home games? He talked around the issue. Twice. He never made one comment on the 5 gane home schedule, even though he was ask on at least 3 occasions. He simply wouldn't acknowledge what everyone who looked at the schedule for 4 minutes was able to understand. 5 home games in 2015 was the ONLY scheduling option. Yet he refuses to stand up and acknowledge that fact, instead giving the old "we are working on it and nothing is final" crapola speech. Even in the second podcast with Harry where he floated out the trial Tulsa excuse ballon, he STILL wouldn't just say directly that we were going to have 5 home games.

Instead, he waits to the schedule comes out and then sends DMac out to defend it to Vito. And when he does talk about it, he again lies to the fans, telling them a nonsensical story of the cancelled Tulsa series as the reason we have 5 home games.

Because, you see, he would rather lie to the fan base than admit a mistake. And why not? He has been doing it for years with no one holding him accountable.

If you want an AD that you know will lie to you at the drop of a hat to protect his own backside, you got him. I mean, he is such a nice guy, who really cares that we suck at everything, right?

Grow some balls and take accountability for your own mistakes, RV.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

RV got a one year extension. One year. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Its certainly not a no-confidence move, either...

Generally speaking, people you aren't complelely satisfied with don't get extensions on their contracts. They like him--he is a personable guy, no question about it. He doesn't publically complain or criticize. He just keeps the company line. And he likes the paycheck and the gig--it requires less effort to be an AD here than at every single FBS school in this region of the country, maybe even the entire country. There isn't a single AD in FBS who would've kept their jobs after hiring Todd Dodge and Tony Benford. Not here, though. Instead, he got that extension AFTER those two great experiments.

You can be mad at him all you want and think he should step up and the football coach needs to be less pissy about the issues he has as coach at UNT, but it doesn't change unless the BOR and administration want that to happen. And it is clear that they don't, because the UNT "family" doesn't want it either. No way that the citizenry of Denton, the faculty at UNT, or the students who love the cheaper tuition will accept a huge sea change in the way we have always run athletics for decades...it ain't happening.