One bid league?

UNT90

I think CUSA is a 2 bid conference this year. It's tough to play in basketball arenas on the road. ODU has beat 3 probable tournament teams and maybe 4 pending how Georgia State does in the Sun Belt tourney...They have one "bad" loss and it was on the road at UTSA. To be honest ODU has done more through the span of the season and has a better body of work than La Tech. La Tech has 0 top 25 wins where as ODU has one. La Tech's bad loss could be counted as their loss to us. Unless ODU makes the tournament La Tech has not beat any tourney team. To leave ODU out would be BS. They are a good team that has played well and IMO has played their way into the tourney. If they lose today...well that only hurts their chances.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since we are the old sunbelt, we will only have a 1 team rep.

Yes, it was a rare year that the SBC sent more than one team to the Dance. Most years the SBC champion was a 14 seed or worse.

Now that we are SBC 2.0, I don't see that changing. The AAC is CUSA 2.0, just with UConn and Cincy as the leftovers to bolster that league enough to get more recognition. I seriously doubt that either of them will be in that league within 5 years.

Yes, it was a rare year that the SBC sent more than one team to the Dance. Most years the SBC champion was a 14 seed or worse.

Now that we are SBC 2.0, I don't see that changing. The AAC is CUSA 2.0, just with UConn and Cincy as the leftovers to bolster that league enough to get more recognition. I seriously doubt that either of them will be in that league within 5 years.

We have UTEP, Louisiana Tech, UAB, Old Dominion, Charlotte, WKU and MTSU as basketball powers.

That's 5 consistently well regarded mid-major players.

Before conference play started to knock off some of our elite, we were picked to have 2 at-larges.

The Sun Belt had WKU and MTSU. Maybe us. Maybe.

In football, the actual performance may be a push but in basketball SBC is a considerable step down. If ODU or La Tech wins the tourney, they may be a 8-12 seed. ODU could be even higher based off of RPI.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We have UTEP, Louisiana Tech, UAB, Old Dominion, Charlotte, WKU and MTSU as basketball powers.

That's 5 consistently well regarded mid-major players.

Before conference play started to knock off some of our elite, we were picked to have 2 at-larges.

The Sun Belt had WKU and MTSU. Maybe us. Maybe.

In football, the actual performance may be a push but in basketball SBC is a considerable step down. If ODU or La Tech wins the tourney, they may be a 8-12 seed. ODU could be even higher based off of RPI.

Not really much of chance that ODU/La Tech/UTEP climb above that #11 line.

La Tech would probably be a 13 seed, highest would be a 12 same thing with UTEP

Only ODU has a slim very slim chance of climbing to a 10 seed. If they win the tourney they would still most likely be a 11. If they get an at large big its going to be as a 12 seed in the play in game.

SBC is a one bid league this year. Georgia St most likely a 13 seed. If anyone else wins that tourney they would be a 14 or 16 seed.

AAC is probably a 4 bid league. SMU,Cinci, Temple, Tulsa. UConn has a chance to make that a 5 bid league if they can make a run in their tourney.

Not really much of chance that ODU/La Tech/UTEP climb above that #11 line.

La Tech would probably be a 13 seed, highest would be a 12 same thing with UTEP

Only ODU has a slim very slim chance of climbing to a 10 seed. If they win the tourney they would still most likely be a 11. If they get an at large big its going to be as a 12 seed in the play in game.

ODU has an RPI of 41, I'd say they have a sizable chance of a 10 seed since usually the 10 seed is somewhere around the 30-40 RPI range.

If they win out, they will stay in that range.

La Tech is in the 50 range. They are also probably pretty close.

CUSA will probably be a one-bid league this year, but it has a sizable group of major players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

SBC is a one bid league this year. Georgia St most likely a 13 seed. If anyone else wins that tourney they would be a 14 or 16 seed.

AAC is probably a 4 bid league. SMU,Cinci, Temple, Tulsa. UConn has a chance to make that a 5 bid league if they can make a run in their tourney.

I thought UConn is on a postseason ban this year. Or am I mixing up years?

ODU has an RPI of 41, I'd say they have a sizable chance of a 10 seed since usually the 10 seed is somewhere around the 30-40 RPI range.

If they win out, they will stay in that range.

La Tech is in the 50 range. They are also probably pretty close.

CUSA will probably be a one-bid league this year, but it has a sizable group of major players.

You are overrating the RPI. ODU is a bubble team. Bubble teams like ODU dont get in as a 10 seed. If they win the tourney maybe a 10 seed, but most likely they get in a play in game if they don't win the tourney. They arent going to have the opportunities to collect many quality wins down the stretch like other bubble teams will. I do think they are among about 15 teams fighting for those last 4 spots.

You believe that...or does Joe Lunardi believe that and you're just telling us you believe that.

Bottom line is they have a good OOC SOS with quality wins. They have ONE bad loss. They have taken care of business otherwise. They DESERVE to be in the tourney. Whether they make it or not is a different story.

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You believe that...or does Joe Lunardi believe that and you're just telling us you believe that.

Bottom line is they have a good OOC SOS with quality wins. They have ONE bad loss. They have taken care of business otherwise. They DESERVE to be in the tourney. Whether they make it or not is a different story.

I believe that. They are one of the 68 best teams in the country, but I'm pretty sure they've got to climb over a lot of teams to make the dance. You do make a good point about OOC SOS, but you don't know what emphasis the committee will put on that. They may value conference strength and how you fared in conf play. In all likelihood ODU's conference slide in the middle of the season cost them an at large bid. They still are good enough to win the CUSA tourney and get the automatic bid.

I believe that. They are one of the 68 best teams in the country, but I'm pretty sure they've got to climb over a lot of teams to make the dance. You do make a good point about OOC SOS, but you don't know what emphasis the committee will put on that. They may value conference strength and how you fared in conf play. In all likelihood ODU's conference slide in the middle of the season cost them an at large bid. They still are good enough to win the CUSA tourney and get the automatic bid.

Then the question turns to will CUSA get 2 bids (LaTech & ODU) if ODU wins the CUSA tournament?