Who Writes This Stuff for the A.D.?

Mean Green 93-98

Okay, this article tells a story that newer MG fans need to hear. . . . But they say that we were still in the Southland in 1997?!?

In 1997, North Texas football resumed its series against regional foe Texas Tech, traveling to Jones Stadium in Lubbock for a meeting on September 20. The Red Raiders of the Big 12 were heavily favored over the Mean Green, who were still playing in Division I-AA's Southland Conference.

http://www.meangreensports.com/genrel/022715aaa.html

We had not been in the Southland or 1-AA (FCS) since 1994. We were in the Big West, and in our third year back in 1A (FBS). Why would the A.D. not double check this most basic of information (that any long-time NT fan knows without hesitation) before posting it to the official website?

• Upvote 2

Vandals and interlopers infest the athletic dept. No real sense of North Texas history.

U of Idaho alums in the AD? I don't know what school are the Interlopers, though...

• Upvote 1

Vandals and interlopers infest the athletic dept. No real sense of North Texas history.

Too true. This is the complete list of everyone in our AD who has "Athletic Director" in their title

Athletic Director

Rick Villarreal - Southern Mississippi, 1989; Domino's Pizza - Decatur, AL

Deputy Athletic Director

Hank Dickenson - Kansas, 1987; United States Sports Academy

Senior Associate Athletic Directors

Paul Batchelder - Hartwick College; United States Sports Academy, 1991

Mike Ashbaugh - Fort Hays State, 1993; Wichita State, 1996

Eric Capper - Iowa State, 1992; Iowa

Derek Grice - Southern Miss; Southern Miss, 2003

John Nitardy - South Carolina, 1981; Ohio, 1983

Cinnamon Sheffield - LSU, 1992; TCU, 1995

Associate Athletic Directors

Scott Hobbs - Rensselair Polytechnic Institute, 1987; Capital University, 1999; Canisius, 2001

Reginald Johnson - UT-Arlington, 1988

Troy Taylor - Texas, 2003; Texas State, 2008

Assistant Athletic Directors

Jamie Adams - Belhaven, 1999; Southern Miss, 2002

Nick Nagel - St. John's, 2004; West Virginia, 2007

Temeka Samuels - Eastern Michigan, 2003; Saginaw Valley State, 2005

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Lets see. The Mean Green Defense was named after:a] Mean Joe Greene b] the wife of an assistant football coach c] a fertilizer which guarantees to kill all those Mean Green weeds d]or, a drink made of kool aid,green jello, and Republic Tequila. And the answer is...............

It's from when this guy passed through Fry Street.

high-times-willie-nelson.jpg

Too true. This is the complete list of everyone in our AD who has "Athletic Director" in their title

Athletic Director

Rick Villarreal - Southern Mississippi, 1989; Domino's Pizza - Decatur, AL

Deputy Athletic Director

Hank Dickenson - Kansas, 1987; United States Sports Academy

Senior Associate Athletic Directors

Paul Batchelder - Hartwick College; United States Sports Academy, 1991

Mike Ashbaugh - Fort Hays State, 1993; Wichita State, 1996

Eric Capper - Iowa State, 1992; Iowa

Derek Grice - Southern Miss; Southern Miss, 2003

John Nitardy - South Carolina, 1981; Ohio, 1983

Cinnamon Sheffield - LSU, 1992; TCU, 1995

Associate Athletic Directors

Scott Hobbs - Rensselair Polytechnic Institute, 1987; Capital University, 1999; Canisius, 2001

Reginald Johnson - UT-Arlington, 1988

Troy Taylor - Texas, 2003; Texas State, 2008

Assistant Athletic Directors

Jamie Adams - Belhaven, 1999; Southern Miss, 2002

Nick Nagel - St. John's, 2004; West Virginia, 2007

Temeka Samuels - Eastern Michigan, 2003; Saginaw Valley State, 2005

That is just sad.
  • Upvote 2

We've been over this plenty, but it's seriously such an awful excuse.

So Tulsa left a hole in our 2013 schedule and it was filled with Idaho, a home game. Our away game at Ohio was a return game in a home in home, Ball State coming to Apogee was a return game in a home and home, and at Georgia was a one-game contract/bodybag game. So if Tulsa had remained on our schedule then we would've either played them at home that year and still had a 6-game home schedule or we would've gone to Tulsa and had a 5-game home schedule that year.

Then in 2015 our OOC schedule includes two bodybag games, at Iowa and Tennessee, and an extensive alternating home and home series with SMU, in which we are on the road in 2015 and all foreseeable odd years. That's 3 OOC away games. If Tulsa was still on our schedule then we would either play them at home instead of Portland State and still had a 5-game home schedule or played them in Tulsa giving us a 4-game home schedule.

So we would've either played at Tulsa in 2013 and home against Tulsa in 2015, resulting in both of those years featuring only 5-home games, or played in Denton against Tulsa in 2013 and away against Tulsa in 2015, resulting in a 6-game home schedule in 2013 and a 4-game home schedule in 2015.

So, honestly, we had more home games because this series got dropped. We filled the hole Tulsa left in our schedule with two 1-game contract home games (with Idaho and Portland State). Had we kept Tulsa, one of those games would've been away from Apogee. So don't believe that excuse.

• Upvote 3

There are things on which I have definitely seen the department drop the ball. In personal experience, I find it really, really, really difficult to give them money, and even more difficult to purchase extra tickets to football games. I get solicited for donations and season tickets days after I've already cut my annual checks for mean green club and tickets. There is absolutely a silo mentality thing going on where departments very much don't speak to each other. I oftentimes find myself asking, "Good lord, people, do you NOT have a central database?"

I can see how these things could translate to much bigger problems, such as other people throwing their hands up in the air and simply walking away when they might otherwise become donors.

Then I got to know Reggie Johnson. He's magic and fixes everything. I do believe we should praise where it is due if we're going to spend every waking moment otherwise shaking torches and tar and feathers toward the department at every opportunity.

But I've seen nearly identical issues at other places. Certainly not an "Only at good ole' UNT" issue. I would imagine that the market for athletic department administrative assistants is really, really low in pay based on the "Pay your dues and work your way up, kid," model of economics, and the people that market attracts don't always execute as well as others might.

• Upvote 1

We've been over this plenty, but it's seriously such an awful excuse.

So Tulsa left a hole in our 2013 schedule and it was filled with Idaho, a home game. Our away game at Ohio was a return game in a home in home, Ball State coming to Apogee was a return game in a home and home, and at Georgia was a one-game contract/bodybag game. So if Tulsa had remained on our schedule then we would've either played them at home that year and still had a 6-game home schedule or we would've gone to Tulsa and had a 5-game home schedule that year.

Then in 2015 our OOC schedule includes two bodybag games, at Iowa and Tennessee, and an extensive alternating home and home series with SMU, in which we are on the road in 2015 and all foreseeable odd years. That's 3 OOC away games. If Tulsa was still on our schedule then we would either play them at home instead of Portland State and still had a 5-game home schedule or played them in Tulsa giving us a 4-game home schedule.

So we would've either played at Tulsa in 2013 and home against Tulsa in 2015, resulting in both of those years featuring only 5-home games, or played in Denton against Tulsa in 2013 and away against Tulsa in 2015, resulting in a 6-game home schedule in 2013 and a 4-game home schedule in 2015.

So, honestly, we had more home games because this series got dropped. We filled the hole Tulsa left in our schedule with two 1-game contract home games (with Idaho and Portland State). Had we kept Tulsa, one of those games would've been away from Apogee. So don't believe that excuse.

There are just some people who are going to believe anything the AD tells them. There are others that think, by gosh, we are just little ole UNT, how can we be expected to be as good at scheduling football games as schools like Arkansas St.

And then there are those that actually see that the AD is doing what he always does; lie to cover his own ass. See "bad eggs in the locker room; all the players' fault" in the basketball situation. These people get fed up and just stop participating with people they feel they just can't trust.

Some warned people that 2015 was coming as early as 2012. Of course, the usual "trust the AD" crowd shouted down those warnings. That same crowd is now justifying the 5 home game schedule and buying this absurd lie told to them by the AD.

And isn't it funny that losing the UNT series didn't cause Tulsa to skip a beat in scheduling football games?

Only at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2