Rivalry

MCMLXXX

A peer athletic program?..no I am not accepting that because it simply isn't factual. There is nothing to accept. They are a school that happens to be in the same state and conference as us that plays athletics in the same conference as us. That is what I will accept. Go to their campus, athletic facilities and even academic buildings and come back on here and call them our "peer." Bottom line is you wouldn't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

A peer athletic program?..no I am not accepting that because it simply isn't factual. There is nothing to accept. They are a school that happens to be in the same state and conference as us that plays athletics in the same conference as us. That is what I will accept. Go to their campus, athletic facilities and even academic buildings and come back on here and call them our "peer." Bottom line is you wouldn't.

Don't want them to be considered a peer athletic program? Let's start beating them in major sports.

• Upvote 2

Beating them means nothing to me. UAH isn't a peer and neither is Prairie View A&M. Both of them beat us. Appalachian State is not a peer with Michigan and neither is Ole Miss and Jacksonville State or Florida and Georgia Southern. Just because you lose to a team doesn't make them a peer. They had the opportunity to be in our conference for one simple reason..geography. Nothing else. Literally, nothing. Would I like to beat them, well yes. If we don't beat them this year it will be another piss poor season because that would mean we have a pretty bad team. Another loss to them, which is a game towards the end of the season, would solidify what has arguably been and would most definitely be his time to fold shop.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I like playing y'all. There is a sports rivalry "developing" between us whether anybody wants to admit it or not.

UTSA already has a defined "I35" rivalry with txst. But...since we're not in the same conference we don't get to play each other in sports as often as we would like.

I'm not ready to start pushing to organize a rivalry with UNT yet.

But...

The "sombrero" trophy idea is horrible.

I would rather have something that could be displayed and paraded at games. Like a flag or a banner. Or "battle" streamers like military units can earn.

Or how about y'all display a flag with a scratch for every time y'all beat the crap out of us. We'd just have a blank flag because we are getting worse and worse. Soooo sad.
  • Downvote 1

Beating them means nothing to me. UAH isn't a peer and neither is Prairie View A&M. Both of them beat us. Appalachian State is not a peer with Michigan and neither is Ole Miss and Jacksonville State or Florida and Georgia Southern. Just because you lose to a team doesn't make them a peer. They had the opportunity to be in our conference for one simple reason..geography. Nothing else. Literally, nothing. Would I like to beat them, well yes. If we don't beat them this year it will be another piss poor season because that would mean we have a pretty bad team. Another loss to them, which is a game towards the end of the season, would solidify what has arguably been and would most definitely be his time to fold shop.

UAH and PVA&M are not good examples because we don't play them multiples times a year in the major sports.

We can just agree to disagree though. But for the record, winning and losing is the #1 data set I use for judging athletic programs (unless there are obvious issues like cheating). I just think it is silly to be arrogant towards a program we don't even beat consistently.

• Upvote 1

RV mentioned, at the signing day presentation, that the student governments of UNT and UTSA were working on creating a trophy to play for each year, in order to cement a rivalry between the two schools. Apparently the leading candidate is the Sombrero Trophy. I don't know if this has been mentioned or for that matter if anyone cares. I am all in favor of a rivalry but not so much a trophy shaped like a Sombrero. I have no idea if they are seeking any input from other sources.

Not only no, but hell no. You can't just get the two student bodies together and "create" a rivalry trophy. It has to be organic and develop. Maybe one of the student bodies "steal" something from the other team, and it becomes an annual something you play for.

On top of that, the Sombrero is just effing dumb.

• Upvote 2

Not only no, but hell no. You can't just get the two student bodies together and "create" a rivalry trophy. It has to be organic and develop. Maybe one of the student bodies "steal" something from the other team, and it becomes an annual something you play for.

On top of that, the Sombrero is just effing dumb.

+1
  • Upvote 2

lol like you know anything about the facilities/buildings UTSA has

Elitism from a university with mediocre academics and athletics is hilarious.

It's nothing to do with them beating us. That's irrelevant. What is relevant is tying your name to a program and/or university that has no weight to its brand or program. I would much rather have a La Tech or even a Southern Miss as a rival than nUTSAck. People don't care about utsa. I am not saying people care about us, but if I am given the option to choose a rival that would be more beneficial to us it sure wouldn't be utsa. A rival doesn't always have to be geographically aligned. Tennessee and Florida are huge rivals and they are quite far from each other. I would personally like to see LaTech as our rival. We are actually closer to them anyways.

You think a respectable program like La Tech wants to be associated with your mediocrity? Go over to the CUSA board and ask who they'd like to start a rivalry with you. Hint: it's not you.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Yeah, I do know about the facilities at nUTSAck. I have walked around the campus last summer. And, it sucked. Some snake headed mermaid posted up as a monument of meaning at a traffic circle right in the middle of campus. A black generic looking building that looks like an old boxed flat screen television. I've seen it and it sucked. As far as academics goes...really...coming from a nUTSAck fan? gtfo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm baffled how some of you are so dismissive of UTSA. Not only have they beaten us every time we've played, but we even had a 100 year head start. I welcome another big state school as a rival.

this...

it's embarrissing to have NT people put down UTSA....we look scared, jealous & foolish. Who cares if they've had football for 5 years? Their 5 year old program beat our 100+ years of football twice. Good for them...they're committed to working the D1 football puzzle while we stare blankly at it. We want better teams like UTSA in C-USA.

It's a joke...kinda like critizing someone driving a KIA when you drive a Hyundai

...both good cars...but neither is a Cadillac.

• Upvote 5

I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm baffled how some of you are so dismissive of UTSA. Not only have they beaten us every time we've played, but we even had a 100 year head start. I welcome another big state school as a rival.

ULL has been a whole lot better than UTSA. Why are you so quick to put them down?

• Upvote 1

ULL has been a whole lot better than UTSA. Why are you so quick to put them down?

Not an entirely unfair point. I have a blanket desire to move as far from the Sun Belt as possible. I feel the same way about Arkansas State or any of the others. In the past though, my feelings about ULL did not stem from some idea that we are inherently superior though. In the eyes of the general public ULL, UNT, UTSA, and even ULM are all on the same level.

• Upvote 1

There is more hate for MTSU then any other school in CUSA. Yes UTSA is in the same division as us but there is not that natural dislike for another school like MTSU. Anyone that remembers the illegal hits one of our players experienced in Smurpheeboros will understand some of what I'm talking about. And MTSU trying to claim being a Co-Champion in 2001 when we beat them (and their "Heisman" candidate running back) which started our 20-plus game conference win streak.

It's cute what some are trying to create but I don't think enough NT fans really care about UTSA to try to develop a rivalry.

I will always enjoy a MTSU victory more over a UTSA victory (whenever that might happen). I guess I just care more about hating a horse that shoots lightning snot rockets than a bird that can't fly.

• Upvote 3

There is more hate for MTSU then any other school in CUSA. Yes UTSA is in the same division as us but there is not that natural dislike for another school like MTSU. Anyone that remembers the illegal hits one of our players experienced in Smurpheeboros will understand some of what I'm talking about. And MTSU trying to claim being a Co-Champion in 2001 when we beat them (and their "Heisman" candidate running back) which started our 20-plus game conference win streak.

It's cute what some are trying to create but I don't think enough NT fans really care about UTSA to try to develop a rivalry.

I will always enjoy a MTSU victory more over a UTSA victory (whenever that might happen). I guess I just care more about hating a horse that shoots lightning snot rockets than a bird that can't fly.

I agree wholeheartedly. On the other hand, a MUTS rivalry doesn't really get any jumping beans going in my shorts either, but maybe that's just me.

A peer with no facilities that only got into CUSA because of a TV market.

They aren't the only FBS school that doesn't own it's own stadium. Some other are UCLA, USC and Rutgers. And being in the DFW TV market had a lot to do with NT getting into CUSA as well.

As for not doing anything to earn being an FBS school, that ship sailed several years ago when the WAC admitted them. Their games count just like ours do.

• Upvote 4