Rivalry

MCMLXXX

Perhaps a Cannon trophy (the come and take it award). Bird related could be common prey for both birds like a Snake (rattler?) trophy. A nest might be good with a green/white egg and an orange/blue egg.

Maybe a Nacho trophy and whoever wins gets to claim it is our trophy and nacho trophy.

Well, see, what happened was that we had a trophy in the works with Tulsa, but when we joined C-USA, that deal went away and we were stuck looking for another trophy. So, this Riverwalk Trophy was the best we could do under the circumstances... It was unavoidable.

Meanwhile Tulsa has no problem constructing a beautiful trophy with SMU that is admired by all in the AAC... ;-)

Perhaps a Cannon trophy (the come and take it award). Bird related could be common prey for both birds like a Snake (rattler?) trophy. A nest might be good with a green/white egg and an orange/blue egg.

Maybe a Nacho trophy and whoever wins gets to claim it is our trophy and nacho trophy.

I like the idea of both mascots, in their most fierce poses, each having a rattlesnake in their grasp trying to take it from the other. In the case of the Roadrunner it would be in it's beak. At the same time, the Eagle will have it in the grasp of it's very lethal Talons. The school possessing the trophy has won the bird of prey tug-of-war for that year.

• Upvote 1

I like playing y'all. There is a sports rivalry "developing" between us whether anybody wants to admit it or not.

UTSA already has a defined "I35" rivalry with txst. But...since we're not in the same conference we don't get to play each other in sports as often as we would like.

I'm not ready to start pushing to organize a rivalry with UNT yet.

But...

The "sombrero" trophy idea is horrible.

I would rather have something that could be displayed and paraded at games. Like a flag or a banner. Or "battle" streamers like military units can earn.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not saying UTSA can't be our rival someday. But that is something you can't really manufacture. A decade from now maybe I will term it a rivalry, but there has to be a history or hate between the two schools before a game gets that designation. Hell, I consider MTSU more of a rival.

• Upvote 3

5 possible trophies

1. The Bird Trophy A Sculpture fo a hand giving the bird.

2. The I35 Trophy An I35 sign in a 5 gallon bucket of cement.

2a The KFC Trophy A KFC bucket filled with cement.

3. The Bronze Taco It is what it says it is.

4. The "It's not a rivalry" Trophy That's for the flat earthers who still think it will never be a rivalry.

5. The Golden Nest Trophy. That won't work because one of us doesn't have our own nest.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 4

I like the idea of both mascots, in their most fierce poses, each having a rattlesnake in their grasp trying to take it from the other. In the case of the Roadrunner it would be in it's beak. At the same time, the Eagle will have it in the grasp of it's very lethal Talons. The school possessing the trophy has won the bird of prey tug-of-war for that year.

Can it be ripping apart a pony?

It's nothing to do with them beating us. That's irrelevant. What is relevant is tying your name to a program and/or university that has no weight to its brand or program. I would much rather have a La Tech or even a Southern Miss as a rival than nUTSAck. People don't care about utsa. I am not saying people care about us, but if I am given the option to choose a rival that would be more beneficial to us it sure wouldn't be utsa. A rival doesn't always have to be geographically aligned. Tennessee and Florida are huge rivals and they are quite far from each other. I would personally like to see LaTech as our rival. We are actually closer to them anyways.

I'm certainly not dismissive of them. I just think a rivalry has to develop organically. Manufacturing a traveling trophy game when there's so little history between the two schools is lame.

I don't disagree with that, but there are some here that refuse to accept they are a peer athletic program. They just are.

• Upvote 1