Rivalry

MCMLXXX

RV mentioned, at the signing day presentation, that the student governments of UNT and UTSA were working on creating a trophy to play for each year, in order to cement a rivalry between the two schools. Apparently the leading candidate is the Sombrero Trophy. I don't know if this has been mentioned or for that matter if anyone cares. I am all in favor of a rivalry but not so much a trophy shaped like a Sombrero. I have no idea if they are seeking any input from other sources.

• Upvote 3

I'm for no trophy. They aren't our rival yet.

This guy gets it.

Lets try to have a little bit of a higher standard in the people we choose to be our rivals, shall we?

And like I said in another thread, if UTSA is hell bent on having a trophy for this game, lets make it a mounted porta-pottie and then just tell them to keep it, win or lose. They deserve it, after all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

This guy gets it.

Lets try to have a little bit of a higher standard in the people we choose to be our rivals, shall we?

And like I said in another thread, if UTSA is hell bent on having a trophy for this game, lets make it a mounted porta-pottie and then just tell them to keep it, win or lose. They deserve it, after all.

If anything UTSA should be saying this about us...you know...since we've never beaten them.

• Upvote 7

It should be a nest. We both have bird mascots. Should be some bronze/copper/steel/ whatever nest.

Other options (In Order Of Coolness):

Comanche Mustang

Dual Pistols

A Texas Flag (sculpture)

Lone Star

Armadillo

Alternate Options to play for:

Championship rings earned in the state of Florida

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Nothing embodies North Texas like a Sombrero! This kind of trophy would not be one-sided at all! Of course, as a few here have pointed out, the actual games have been pretty one-sided.

Lets just hope RV isn't negotiating this trophy, otherwise it will probably encompass all things San Antonio.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Lets just hope RV isn't negotiating this trophy, otherwise it will probably encompass all things San Antonio.

Well, see, what happened was that we had a trophy in the works with Tulsa, but when we joined C-USA, that deal went away and we were stuck looking for another trophy. So, this Riverwalk Trophy was the best we could do under the circumstances... It was unavoidable.

• Upvote 3