NT Daily: University officials looking to upgrade Super Pit

James329

So Kram still think if I gave them the momey for a new baskwtball arena they would still try to convince me to put it twordw baseball?

I hope re build instead of remodel....

Why a rebuild instead of a remodel? A rebuild for a 10k seat arena will likely cost as much as Apogee did (if not more) and perhaps take years to get started because funding will need to be acquired before anything is done. With a remodel it can be done as funding is found in bits and pieces.

I cannot possibly agree with you more. But I also cannot believe that RV isn't going to sell the fact that Benford has earned an extension in his eyes because of what he has straightened out since his first year. You cannot underestimate the very real fact that RV doesn't want another revenue sports debacle on his watch. And you cannot underestimate the BORs desire to do things as cheaply as possible when it comes to athletics.

I am pretty sure Benford will be graded on more then just wins/losses. Season ticket sales and attendance are both down. That alone won't work in his favor. Benford also has an abysmal record on getting high school recruits onto the court.

The Pit will be fine with a little upgrade. The major things that need to be done can't be done because it isn't a dedicated athletics facility.

The stands need to be closer to the floor with a steeper grade to the stands allowing everyone to be closer to the action. This would also eliminate a lot of the lighting problems. Of course this will never happen because the university wouldn't be able to use the Pit for other things (like the always important cheerleader competitions).

We really need a 5k to 6k basketball facility under the complete control of the AD.

And I'm a gazillion billionaire.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

That winning record of Dan McCarney is really packing folks into that palace across the freeway.

I don't have a major problem with the Superpit other than those tight seats. It would also be nice to move the media out of those prime seats. (maybe into a dedicated suite area) A ticket booth is certainly at the top of the list.

• Upvote 1

That winning record of Dan McCarney is really packing folks into that palace across the freeway.

I don't have a major problem with the Superpit other than those tight seats. It would also be nice to move the media out of those prime seats. (maybe into a dedicated suite area) A ticket booth is certainly at the top of the list.

Agree. I want seats closer to the floor and remove that green bar.

• Upvote 1

That Benford quote makes him sound like an idiot.

Believe it or not...just this evening at about 5:45pm...still plenty of light outside....as I was walking across the street to the Super Pit from the Fouts parking lot to go to the Green Room before the women's game this evening a guy in a pick up stops me and the driver asks me where the basketball arena was. He was on the street looking right at it and did not know where it was! Seriously...and the guy was going to the game. Saw him at the game later...I think he was there as a friend of the lady who sang the National Antham before the game and just stayed for the game. So, yep...seems the Super Pit....as big as it is....is not easily seen by some folks. Yes, really odd...what the heck did that guy think that big building sitting there was?

But, seems to indicate that Coach Benford's comment might not be that far off base. Odd, yes, but true story. I was pretty shocked with the question.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Believe it or not...just this evening at about 5:45pm...still plenty of light outside....as I was walking across the street to the Super Pit from the Fouts parking lot to go to the Green Room before the women's game this evening a guy in a pick up stops me and the driver asks me where the basketball arena was. He was on the street looking right at it and did not know where it was! Seriously...and the guy was going to the game. Saw him at the game later...I think he was there as a friend of the lady who sang the National Antham before the game and just stayed for the game. So, yep...seems the Super Pit....as big as it is....is not easily seen by some folks. Yes, really odd...what the heck did that guy think that big building sitting there was?

But, seems to indicate that Coach Benford's comment might not be that far off base. Odd, yes, but true story. I was pretty shocked with the question.

Interesting. The way I interpret that is, no matter how big your sign is, there will always be someone who misses it.

• Upvote 2

Has the Super Pit ever been sold out? I don't think I've ever seen it happen in my UNT fandom.

Yes against the Mustangs in 1976 (If I remember correctly) Great atmosphere with mostly NTSU fans. Actually had folks standing all around the arena trying to see.

Edit: Didn't see the exact date that CMJ posted. Was the 76-77 season

Edited by Cooley

Has the Super Pit ever been sold out? I don't think I've ever seen it happen in my UNT fandom.

Yes, January 22nd 1977. My Mom went into Labor with my brother at that game, but she held on till halftime before Pop drove her to the hospital.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5

Interesting. The way I interpret that is, no matter how big your sign is, there will always be someone who misses it.

Yep...the guy was maybe 50 ft from the sign as well and facing it. And, it seems...no matter how big and "arena looking" your arena is, someone will always miss it.

Yes, January 22nd 1977. My Mom went into Labor with my brother at that game, but she held on till halftime before Pop drove her to the hospital.

Gotta be worth some sort of award for your mom, dad and brother. They should make the HOF at least as the same time as DT.

Hence forth your brother shall be known as "Super Pit_________insert actual name here" (Hopefully his name is Paul, Peter, Mitt, Cliff, even Chris will do."

• Upvote 2

Gotta be worth some sort of award for your mom, dad and brother. They should make the HOF at least as the same time as DT.

Hence forth your brother shall be known as "Super Pit_________insert actual name here" (Hopefully his name is Paul, Peter, Mitt, Cliff, even Chris will do."

:lol: His name is Donald.

Pop actually could be in the HOF I guess (he'd never get voted in, but still). He ran track and cross country at NT back in the 70's. Mom wrote for the sports department in the Daily.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Unless they are taken out of context some of the ideas and suggestions mentioned in that article which we should spend money on to improve our basketball program are truly some of the dumbest things I've ever read.

No wonder we must continually rely on charitable donations from BOR members, student fees and bodybag football games to pay the bills.. No one outside of a few wealthy interested souls would in their right mind donate to a program that comes up with these kinds of ideas to spend their donations on.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Completely agree. Brad Underwood was a first year coach for SFA last year and won a game in the NCAA tournament.

That's the thing with hiring experienced head coach. We are not a major conference program that can go out and hand pick the best up-and-coming coaches. If we hire an experienced head coach then there's a good chance he was fired at his last stop, and he wasn't attractive enough to get looks by other schools from better conferences. Or he was just stuck at a school and no one else wanted to offer him (sort of like Mike Peterson).

That being said, I think Scott Cross would make a good coach here. But we aren't a program that can set a bunch of restrictions on what kind of coach we want. Including saying our next coach must have D1 head coaching experience.

• Upvote 2

As a student, the first thing I have always thought about in the middle of the games is the lighting. I think they need to dim the lights more in the bleachers to emphasize the game like you see in NBA arenas and I agree with RV about the pregame introductions. They also need to adjust the scoreboard content. I don't know how many times they've put the wrong player.. (even saw this at Apogee) There were also a few games in November/December where the fan trivia question would screw up. I think they need to put more time and effort into that.

Why don't we hire Underwood? Seems logical. I don't know his current pay but I am sure we could top it.

I think he got bumped up to about $500K. But he wouldn't go to us, considering that program is ahead of ours right now. And they've smashed us two years in a row. qWhen you win an NCAA tournament game you can hold out for a major-conference job. Which I think he did turn down last year. That's part of my, and I think Tasty's, point. A coach like that is not going to go to UNT. At least not in the current state of our program.

Rumor is that Underwood contacted RV when the job here opened up in 2012, but he didn't get a call back.

• Upvote 2