NT Daily: University officials looking to upgrade Super Pit

James329

Lighting and a smaller locker room entrances behind both baselines. The giant entrances look small-time. If they could just put something over the entrance much like they do in the NBA. The lighting much how they do at MSG would be ideal, try to keep most of the light on the court and off the fans. Lighting in a basketball arena is essential to overall presentation and RV is right, its bad at the Pit.

• Upvote 2

http://ntdaily.com/university-officials-looking-to-upgrade-super-pit/

This is huge news, in my opinion.

“We’re going to spend the rest of this year reviewing it, coming up with ideas, seeing what’s possible,” Smatresk said. “And once we get a range of costs going from mild to wild, we’ll see what we have to do versus what we’d like to do. And then we’re going to start looking for donors.”

-- Neal Smatresk - University of North Texas President

The lighting is bad in the Super Pit, for sure, and needs to be addressed. But finding the Super Pit is the easiest building on campus to get to, so no Benford, its not the lighting outside keeping people from finding the game. Ithe the "game" that's making people miss the Super Pit--as in I haven't been in the place in a long time. I sure miss watching a good UNT team in the Pit.

Tasty is right, of course. The best improvement to the Super Pit would be to bring in a coach that has some skins on the wall from being an actual head coach before. And it doesn't have to be a coach from a former college giant program, either. You cannot tell me that Steve Shields at UALR, Scott Cross at UTA, or Brad Underwood at SFA wouldn't be able to do great things with the advantages of playing in CUSA at the Super Pit instead of their current situations, all of which have involved many NCAA Tournament appearances between the three of them. Benford is learning on the job still--he was a highly-renowned recruiter before he got here. And even with a .500 record last year and possibly another one this year to try and help him look like he is improving as a coach, the schedule remains weaker so that more home games are winnable to boost up his record and the inconsistency of the team is off the charts, which should be laid at the feet of the head coach's lack of experience in knowing how to keep the kids focused and motivated all season long.

I do believe that if Benford gets to .500 this year, the idea of an extension will get floated by RV. If Smaestrek is really wanting to show how much his UNLV experience with hoops is top of mind, it would be to make sure that an extension never gets offered for such a low bar. To me, the only way he can get an extension after next year is to make a postseason berth in the NCAAs or NIT (not something bought like the CIT or CBI), which would basically be that he has gotten us back to the heights of his predecessor, who also got extensions for earning the NCAA berths. If RV extends him out after this year, on the basis of "turning things around by having back-to-back .500 seasons, I think we should all be able to see how much this place cares about "winning" in sports. Because an extension for Benford might only have to involve years, not anything materially extra financially, which has historically been the BOR's first determination on stuff like this.

• Upvote 1

I do believe that if Benford gets to .500 this year, the idea of an extension will get floated by RV. If Smaestrek is really wanting to show how much his UNLV experience with hoops is top of mind, it would be to make sure that an extension never gets offered for such a low bar. To me, the only way he can get an extension after next year is to make a postseason berth in the NCAAs or NIT (not something bought like the CIT or CBI), which would basically be that he has gotten us back to the heights of his predecessor, who also got extensions for earning the NCAA berths. If RV extends him out after this year, on the basis of "turning things around by having back-to-back .500 seasons, I think we should all be able to see how much this place cares about "winning" in sports. Because an extension for Benford might only have to involve years, not anything materially extra financially, which has historically been the BOR's first determination on stuff like this.

Let's say we do, by some miracle, finish the regular season at 15-15, that would put Benford at a very mediocre record of 43-51 or .457 for his career. I haven't even considered the conference tournament where a first round exit gives us an overall losing record of 16-15. He'd still have a losing record, so I don't see how RV could justify to anyone Benford should be given a contract extension. Sorry, but back-to-back .500 season is not the sign of a "turnaround" after the success we saw late in Johnny's career at NT.

Edited by UNTFan23

the outside of the pit just needs a coat of paint on that doo doo brown roof... maybe that would help.

That is metal and it would need to be completely removed as you cannot paint over a rusted surface. I forget what type of metal it is but once the surface rusts it projects the underlying material from further corrosion.

Sorry about that--I misunderstood the root of your post. I just want us to do something we haven't done before--go and get a head coach for the program that has been an actual head coach at a Division 1 University for more than an interim basis. I just think we could get someone in that position that wants to get another chance again as a head coach, like UTEP got with Tim Floyd. Or go the route ULaLa did when they hired Bob Marlin from SHSU and Texas State did when they hired Danny Kaspar.

No more Vic Trillis or Tony Benfords, please...hiring a "recruiter" as thead basketball coach has gotten us about 80 games under .500.

Let's say we do, by some miracle, finish the regular season at 15-15, that would put Benford at a very mediocre record of 43-51 or .457 for his career. I haven't even considered the conference tournament where a first round exit gives us an overall losing record of 16-15. He'd still have a losing record, so I don't see how RV could justify to anyone Benford should be given a contract extension. Sorry, but back-to-back .500 season is not the sign of a "turnaround" after the success we saw late in Johnny's career at NT.

I cannot possibly agree with you more. But I also cannot believe that RV isn't going to sell the fact that Benford has earned an extension in his eyes because of what he has straightened out since his first year. You cannot underestimate the very real fact that RV doesn't want another revenue sports debacle on his watch. And you cannot underestimate the BORs desire to do things as cheaply as possible when it comes to athletics.

“We’re going to spend the rest of this year reviewing it, coming up with ideas, seeing what’s possible,” Smatresk said. “And once we get a range of costs going from mild to wild, we’ll see what we have to do versus what we’d like to do. And then we’re going to start looking for donors.”

Will be a lot easier getting more and willing donors if you start with getting a new head coach that can coach.

• Upvote 1