A look at North Texas key position battles this spring

Harry

That being said, I just still think that relying on Grimm or Chumley to be the real deal for us might be dangerous. One of those two, Means, or Dajon, need to step up as the QB of the future or else we'll keep signing JUCO QBs every year like we have been. And that needs to start this spring. Not after Mcnulty or Damarcus Smith (if he works out) graduate.

Just to be clear, I was only pointing out the existence of Grimm on our roster and providing what little info I could in a short period of time about him. I don't advocate for players until I see them actually practice. There are all kind of journeys that college football players take before they reach their "home". As I've pointed out before, Jordan Case started out at Sul Ross before transferring (as a walk-on) to NT and eventually being in our HOF.

What concerns me the most is the coaching/development of the QB's. I haven't seen much, if any, of that from our coaches in the last few years. If last years JUCO QB is any indication of our coaching staff's assessment/development abilities, then it might not matter who we sign at QB in the future......JUCO or otherwise.

addendum: Regarding Grimm. Because of my fondness for that NBC show by the same name on Friday nights, I do think that it would be cool to be able to say "we have a Grimm playing QB for us".

Edited by SilverEagle

What concerns me the most is the coaching/development of the QB's. I haven't seen much, if any, of that from our coaches in the last few years. If last years JUCO QB is any indication of our coaching staff's assessment/development abilities, then it might not matter who we sign at QB in the future......JUCO or otherwise.

This is my #2 concern regarding QBs, right after Smith making it to campus.

Selection and development have been really really bad.

I could care less about a college football player's release or size if he can ball. Releases like tebo and Vince young? The coaches used the ability those players DID have and were still successful. Size and mechanics like Johnny football? Sumlin still was able to use manziel's strengths and made it work. Only a few qbs out there are going to the NFL. But there are plenty of teams that are getting results from the QB position from players who won't come close to being successful NFL QBs.

If chumley has a funky release, but he can run and make plays, it should not matter. If he has the abilty to cause problems with running and has the size to break tackles, he should be in there. Players make plays. Mac saw it first hand with Seneca Wallace who,was,really a wr, and he also saw it with tebo who was a rb. Get some talent and playmakers in there. PLAYMAKERS MAKE PLAYS, not mechanics and measurables.

A player's mechanics tell you how much coaching they will need. Without proper development of mechanics and reading the field, vis-a-vis proper coaching, you get:

2014 Williams

2014 Greer

2014 McNulty

It's those little things that cause accuracy problems, leading to underthrown or overthrown balls. Footwork leads to better planting, which allow for more air and control on the balls, which leads to better accuracy, which leads to receivers having better chances at those balls. Throwing motion also affect strength, and accuracy, and throwing above 6-3 to 6-5 linemen. Or now, 6-9.

As Williams proved (unfortunately), you can't just throw out a talented player with little development out on the field. It takes time.

Manziel is way more talented than those three I mentioned. Additionally, he has always been hyperaccurate, and read the (college) field well. It wasn't always Evans.

So really, you're asking for better talent to come in to reduce development time and efforts. Well...

A player's mechanics tell you how much coaching they will need. Without proper development of mechanics and reading the field, vis-a-vis proper coaching, you get:

2014 Williams

2014 Greer

2014 McNulty

It's those little things that cause accuracy problems, leading to underthrown or overthrown balls. Footwork leads to better planting, which allow for more air and control on the balls, which leads to better accuracy, which leads to receivers having better chances at those balls. Throwing motion also affect strength, and accuracy, and throwing above 6-3 to 6-5 linemen. Or now, 6-9.

As Williams proved (unfortunately), you can't just throw out a talented player with little development out on the field. It takes time.

Manziel is way more talented than those three I mentioned. Additionally, he has always been hyperaccurate, and read the (college) field well. It wasn't always Evans.

So really, you're asking for better talent to come in to reduce development time and efforts. Well...

I've never watched Manziel play a full game, but in just about every highlight reel I saw on him.....it was mostly Evans. Now, I will give him credit for the "read the field" talent. It's called great peripheral vision, which all great QB's (and RB's) must have. BUT you either have great peripheral vision or you don't. You can't coach it. Manziel also had something else you can't coach.....super confidence.

I've always thought that it was much easier to coach a pitcher about their throwing motion than a QB. A pitcher can think about his mechanics whilst standing on the mound and winding up to pitch. To me, it's got to be much harder to think about your new throwing mechanics whilst 250+lb bodies are flying around you.....and at you.

To me, it's got to be much harder to think about your new throwing mechanics whilst 250+lb bodies are flying around you.....and at you.

And that's why I think Chumley needs at least a couple years before he's fully ready as a QB. It's not as much his throwing motion, though, it's his footwork. 250lb bodies flying at you? Your feet better be in the right place to either pass, slide, move up, or get outta there. He won't have all day to throw back there.

As a receiver? Kid can ball, throw him out there as soon as he's able.

As far as confidence goes, totally agree. I would compare the good Dajon (UNT highlights vs Indiana) vs bad Dajon (UAB highlights). In one you have a calm and poised qb setting his feet, facing the receiver, accurate passes (still some hesitations evident). In the other, you see hesitation, not facing the receiver, ball around his hips, not planting etc.

I've never watched Manziel play a full game, but in just about every highlight reel I saw on him.....it was mostly Evans.

What I meant was, Evans wasn't always the one doing the playmaking/bailing him out. Manziel would place it in spots only Evans could get to it. And Evans is a humongous target.

The only QB better (on my list) in that draft class was Teddy Bridgewater, then Manziel, then Bortles. Which brings us back to D Smith... (see what I did there?)

As far as confidence goes, totally agree. I would compare the good Dajon (UNT highlights vs Indiana) vs bad Dajon (UAB highlights). In one you have a calm and poised qb setting his feet, facing the receiver, accurate passes (still some hesitations evident). In the other, you see hesitation, not facing the receiver, ball around his hips, not planting etc.

Since you brought up dajon and the Indiana and uab games...dajon threw a pick in each of those games forcing it to pegram. Pegram was covered and it should have been thrown away both times. I asked this last year, but no answer...why is pegram in there as a receiving option? Did I miss something? Does he have some good hands? Speed cant be the reason. Im not understanding pegram as a safety valve for a young qb.

Your kidding yourself if anyone thinks McNulty won't be the starter in September.

Rick

So much truth here, FFR. How anyone can think he won't start in Dallas seems like you are really just blindfully hoping against it. McCarney already tried to get away from McNulty starting last year and ended up going back to him for the last half of the year. He was the only QB who he trusted to drive the bus. That's what his offense demands--a bus driver, nothing more, nothing less. Having an experienced QB as a busdriver is much preferred by Mac than any freelance QB. Dajon Williams has the most talent on this team, but he will never play because he cannot drive the bus--its not who he is as a QB. Greer would be a solid i-aa QB. The others aren't anywhere close to being ready to beat out McNulty as the Busdriver. He's a senior and will get tons of Derek Thompson comparisons in the media over the coming months.

We don't have the defense or special teams that Derek Thompson had in 2013, nor do we have the schedule. Schedule alone makes me think we could improve ands till have the same record as last season. Factor in below average play at QB, a new OL, a small defensive front that still is relatively young, and a new DC, its just hard to see more than 4-8, with 3-9 as a very real possibility. If we lose at SMU, I think Portland State could realistically be the only win we get in 2015.

So much truth here, FFR. How anyone can think he won't start in Dallas seems like you are really just blindfully hoping against it. McCarney already tried to get away from McNulty starting last year and ended up going back to him for the last half of the year. He was the only QB who he trusted to drive the bus. That's what his offense demands--a bus driver, nothing more, nothing less. Having an experienced QB as a busdriver is much preferred by Mac than any freelance QB. Dajon Williams has the most talent on this team, but he will never play because he cannot drive the bus--its not who he is as a QB. Greer would be a solid i-aa QB. The others aren't anywhere close to being ready to beat out McNulty as the Busdriver. He's a senior and will get tons of Derek Thompson comparisons in the media over the coming months.

We don't have the defense or special teams that Derek Thompson had in 2013, nor do we have the schedule. Schedule alone makes me think we could improve ands till have the same record as last season. Factor in below average play at QB, a new OL, a small defensive front that still is relatively young, and a new DC, its just hard to see more than 4-8, with 3-9 as a very real possibility. If we lose at SMU, I think Portland State could realistically be the only win we get in 2015.

And if we end the year at 1-11 then Mac should have his head served on a platter to the fan base. But, he won't, because of an incompetent AD.
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

And if we end the year at 1-11 then Mac should have his head served on a platter to the fan base. But, he won't, because of an incompetent AD.

This AD follows orders and never makes a fuss. That is how come he has been here for 14 years and will retire from UNT with 20 plus years of service.

No, make no mistake...it will be because of the AD. He prematurely extended the man for another 5. Big time programs can extend a coach for 5 after a quality year because they have the $ to bail themselves out. There are many times specific guidelines within extensions that are beneficial to the university. Here at UNT we don't have that luxury. That falls on the AD.

So many arm chair coaches and AD's on here that it just amazes me that mine of you have left your current profession and hung your shingle at some D1 program. Comedy gold.

I don't get how people are chastised for being critical of our AD or coaches. This AD's last 6 hires in the 3 revenue sports are currently sitting at a combined 118 games under .500 (138-256).

And that's on top a second 5-game home schedule in the last 4 seasons. Not only that, but that same AD basically thinks our fanbase is stupid enough to believe that losing out on a home and home with Tulsa is the reason for that. When in reality, we replaced Tulsa on our schedule in 2013 and 2015, with 2 home games (Idaho and Portland State). Because we would've had to go to Tulsa for one of those games, we actually got more home games as a result of that series being dropped.

But if you're critical of that then you're an "arm chair AD". Maybe some are beating a dead horse. But if you just look at the facts, that criticism is not unjust.

• Upvote 4

I don't get how people are chastised for being critical of our AD or coaches. This AD's last 6 hires in the 3 revenue sports are currently sitting at a combined 118 games under .500 (138-256).

And that's on top a second 5-game home schedule in the last 4 seasons. Not only that, but that same AD basically thinks our fanbase is stupid enough to believe that losing out on a home and home with Tulsa is the reason for that. When in reality, we replaced Tulsa on our schedule in 2013 and 2015, with 2 home games (Idaho and Portland State). Because we would've had to go to Tulsa for one of those games, we actually got more home games as a result of that series being dropped.

But if you're critical of that then you're an "arm chair AD". Maybe some are beating a dead horse. But if you just look at the facts, that criticism is not unjust.

PREACH