A look at North Texas key position battles this spring

Harry

North Texas will open spring practice on March 10, when the Mean Green will look to begin the process of bouncing back from a 4-8 campaign. There are several key position battles the Mean Green will try to sort through. Here is a look at a few:

Quarterback

Participants: Andrew McNulty, Connor Means, Dajon Williams, Josh Greer

Just a few weeks ago, the quarterback battle looked like it would be the story of spring practice. UNT started three different quarterbacks last season and never found any consistent level of success with any of them. Greer started the first three games of the season before giving away to Williams for three before McNulty started the last six. When it was all said and done, UNT ranked 12th out of 13 teams in the league in passing efficiency at 112.4. UNT head coach Dan McCarney said UNT had to get better at the position before next season. UNT signed Butler County College product DaMarcus Smith in the hope that he could help the Mean Green reach that goal, but he isn’t eligible to compete in spring practice. That also puts Smith’s status for UNT’s season-opener — its now annual class warfare battle for DFW supremacy with SMU — in doubt. The Mean Green will need another option in case Smith isn’t ready in the fall. McNulty will be the odds-on favorite, but Williams is talented and Means will be in the race for the first time as a redshirt freshman.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/02/a-look-at-north-texas-key-position-battles-this-spring.html/

No mention of Chumley?

Also no mention of Wells, Cousins or Grimm. I looked him up and saw that he led his team to a state championship. And according to this story..

ARLINGTON – It took almost 15 minutes before Cedar Park quarterback Nate Grimm could even hoist the Class 4A, Division II championship trophy.

Hobbled by an apparent ankle injury he suffered in the third quarter, Grimm was helped through the handshake line by offensive linemen Davis Geerts and Riley Mayfield, and the junior quarterback kept movement to a minimum as his teammates were flying around celebrating under the giant video board at Cowboys Stadium.

Eventually the trophy made its way to Grimm, who stood on the bench and hoisted the school’s first state championship trophy in front of the large Timberwolves crowd.

“In a lot of pain, but this excitement is making me forget a bit and it feels amazing,” Grimm said.

Whether it was adrenaline, pride or a sense of family, Grimm never let the pain derail him and, even with his mobility down a couple notches, he continued to march out and direct the Timberwolves offense on the game-clinching drive.

“I knew I had to go back in there for our seniors and we play for our family, so that’s what I did,” Grimm said.

Statistically, Grimm didn’t have an impact in the fourth quarter. But, by simply returning from the injury and facilitating the offense through several different running backs, Grimm kept the Timberwolves on track and helped spark his teammates.

“Nate’s a warrior and I’m proud to have him as my quarterback,” said Cedar Park senior offensive lineman Austin Hisler. “He went out and performed better than anyone could have wanted. Blocking for him, I really wouldn’t want to block for anyone else.”

It was Grimm’s second ankle injury of the playoffs. Against Alice in the regional round, he didn’t return in a game that was already lopsided in Cedar Park’s favor. This time, though, his team needed him and the quarterback delivered.

“Unbelievable, he’s hurt but he comes back in the game and we’ve come to expect that out of him,” Cedar Park coach Joe Willis said.

Even if it was expected, Grimm’s leadership and courage were rewarded with a piggyback ride from Geerts to the locker room, and a state title.

he did so fighting with an injury. Sounds like he could be a tough kid.

Here is a highlight reel........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNgiYJOvmM

Edited by SilverEagle

Also no mention of Wells, Cousins or Grimm. I looked him up and saw that he led his team to a state championship. And according to this story..

he did so fighting with an injury. Sounds like he could be a tough kid.

Here is a highlight reel........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNgiYJOvmM

You're like the gmg.com QB hipster.

tupac-aint-mad-at-cha.jpg

But you're certainly looking at the wrong dudes.

I just cannot imagine a scenario that doesn't involve Andrew McNulty taking the first snap of the season in Dallas. Coach Mac loves the kid and feels more comfortable with him as the bus driver than anyone else. I know Smith is supposed to be great because of his JUCO days (we said the same thing about Greer, too) but not being here until the fall camp is not going to help him beat out McNulty, at least not in McCarney's eyes. I would be just shocked if Dajon Williams or Josh Greer ever step foot on the field again as a Mean Green player, much less taking any snaps as the QB in a game ever again. I think if Chumley can play, he will be the guy that might graduate to being the bus driver after McNulty is no longer eligible after this season.

I just cannot imagine a scenario that doesn't involve Andrew McNulty taking the first snap of the season in Dallas. Coach Mac loves the kid and feels more comfortable with him as the bus driver than anyone else. I know Smith is supposed to be great because of his JUCO days (we said the same thing about Greer, too) but not being here until the fall camp is not going to help him beat out McNulty, at least not in McCarney's eyes. I would be just shocked if Dajon Williams or Josh Greer ever step foot on the field again as a Mean Green player, much less taking any snaps as the QB in a game ever again. I think if Chumley can play, he will be the guy that might graduate to being the bus driver after McNulty is no longer eligible after this season.

Actually, we didn't say the same thing about Greer. If I remember correctly Greers numbers were pedestrian at best in JUCO. D. Smith had very good JUCO numbers.
  • Upvote 1

I think Mac's relationship with the McNulty family is overblown even though I felt much differently during his freshman year. If "Mac loves this kid and feels more comfortable with him" then why did he start last year as #3 on the depth chart? He started last year because Greer looked scared to death/frozen with fear and Williams couldn't lean on his athletic ability to carry him and the team past anyone better than Nichols State. Hopefully, Williams has matured and will put in the necessary work to capitalize on his potential.

• Upvote 2

I think Mac's relationship with the McNulty family is overblown even though I felt much differently during his freshman year. If "Mac loves this kid and feels more comfortable with him" then why did he start last year as #3 on the depth chart? He started last year because Greer looked scared to death/frozen with fear and Williams couldn't lean on his athletic ability to carry him and the team past anyone better than Nichols State. Hopefully, Williams has matured and will put in the necessary work to capitalize on his potential.

....and hopefully Means will continue his development at the same pace as last spring, where he started out even with Greer and (IMHO) passed him up by the end of spring.

• Upvote 1

You're like the gmg.com QB hipster.

tupac-aint-mad-at-cha.jpg

But you're certainly looking at the wrong dudes.

All I'm doing is pointing out that they do exist. And at least one of the "unmentionables" has some credibility about him. Unless you think leading a team to a state championship in Texas is to be ignored.

And just who are you casting your expert eye towards?

Unless you've forgotten, I called "shenanigans" on Greer back in the spring. And before the end of the 1st Quarter in the Texas game I was proven right.

All I'm doing is pointing out that they do exist. And at least one of the "unmentionables" has some credibility about him. Unless you think leading a team to a state championship in Texas is to be ignored.

And just who are you casting your expert eye towards?

Unless you've forgotten, I called "shenanigans" on Greer back in the spring. And before the end of the 1st Quarter in the Texas game I was proven right.

I'm not too young to remember Spencer Stack. I assume you do too. So yeah, sometimes they can be ignored.

Pay attention this Spring to McNulty & Means.

Pay more attention in the Fall to Smith. It would probably be his to lose if he could have come in this Spring.

Those are your 3 front-runners. The other guys are fodder & backups.

Good call on Greer. I myself was saying he was going to be Thompson 2.0 driving that bus. I'm probably wrong.

He has a point though. In the future, it'll be between Means and Grimm if Williams doesn't pan out, imo. Very similar player types with similar playing styles. It'll depend on who's more coachable to work on some of their fundamentals (throwing motion, footwork, decision-making).

I'm not too young to remember Spencer Stack. I assume you do too. So yeah, sometimes they can be ignored.

Pay attention this Spring to McNulty & Means.

Pay more attention in the Fall to Smith. It would probably be his to lose if he could have come in this Spring.

Those are your 3 front-runners. The other guys are fodder & backups.

Good call on Greer. I myself was saying he was going to be Thompson 2.0 driving that bus. I'm probably wrong.

Stack shouldn't have even been recruited to NT since he was a slow footed pocket passer and we were running a system best suited to a dual threat QB. He eventually disappeared, but he was noticed when he arrived.

Thanks for the suggestions but I have been watching McNulty for over two spring sessions. And last spring I thought that by the end of spring Means had passed up Greer as a viable option for last fall. I thought that Williams had the greatest "potential", but his body language said "mailing it in" to me all spring.

I anticipate that by the end of spring McNulty, Means, and (if he finally gets motivated) Williams will be the front runners. I'll be interested in how Chumley actually does and not just assess him based on his size and raw talent (big and fast). And I will be interested in seeing how Grimm looks.

Edited by SilverEagle

Stack shouldn't have even been recruited to NT since he was a slow footed pocket passer and we were running a system best suited to a dual threat QB. He eventually disappeared, but he was noticed when he arrived.

Thanks for the suggestions but I have been watching McNulty for over two spring sessions. And last spring I thought that by the end of spring Means had passed up Greer as a viable option for last fall. I thought that Williams had the greatest "potential", but his body language said "mailing it in" to me all spring.

I anticipate that by the end of spring McNulty, Means, and (if he finally gets motivated) Williams will be the front runners. I'll be interested in how Chumley actually does and not just assess him based on his size and raw talent (big and fast). And I will be interested in seeing how Grimm looks.

If Chumley comes out of the Spring with any kind of momentum, I would think he'd have a heckuva shot in the Fall. I just don't see it happening after a year off from playing football. I'd be even more shocked if Grimm does anything considering his offer sheet & how he landed here.

I'm certainly not saying that McNulty is so good that he'll win the job, but there's the "Senior Leadership" and the trust factor that's there with the coaches. I won't be happy or expecting much if McNulty comes out of the Spring with the job sewn up.

If Chumley comes out of the Spring with any kind of momentum, I would think he'd have a heckuva shot in the Fall. I just don't see it happening after a year off from playing football. I'd be even more shocked if Grimm does anything considering his offer sheet & how he landed here.

I'm certainly not saying that McNulty is so good that he'll win the job, but there's the "Senior Leadership" and the trust factor that's there with the coaches. I won't be happy or expecting much if McNulty comes out of the Spring with the job sewn up.

I'm not worried about Grimm's journey, Keep in mind that Jordan Case came to North Texas via Sul Ross state.

Chumley and Grimm have two of the ugliest releases you'll see from FBS QBs. But still, getting him in as a walkon is a great pickup. No risk whatsoever. I don't expect much from them, but to me they're situations where if you do get something it'll be a pleasant surprise. Banking on them to be good QBs for us would be a dangerous situation.

Here's a little bit of film on Grimm.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNgiYJOvmM

Edited by BillySee58

Chumley and Grimm have two of the ugliest releases you'll see from FBS QBs. But still, getting him in as a walkon is a great pickup. No risk whatsoever. I don't expect much from them, but to me they're situations where if you do get something it'll be a pleasant surprise. Banking on them to be good QBs for us would be a dangerous situation.

Here's a little bit of film on Grimm.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNgiYJOvmM

Grimm's release looks like it's kind of side arm. But it's not slow and deliberate........like Greers.

Will we ever see a time in which a QB's recruit video shows him getting frieght trained from the blind side then get back up to complete a pass, instead of countless minutes of the usual stare down completions while never getting so much as a finger placed on him?

Probably not.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah Grimm has this odd 3/4 release, and that weird jumpshot pass (Cutler comment), but his accuracy is not too shabby (when he sits still). There's dark horse talent there that needs refinement.

2013 Chumley has a lot more work to do in terms of passing fundamentals when compared to McNulty, Smith, Means, Williams, Greer, and Grimm. If he stays at QB, it may be a couple years.

nice mechanics are great if you have them, but we need guys who can play football, whether they have good mechanics or not. this is not the NFL and it is not UNTs responsibility to supply the NFL with the next Phillip rivers while other teams are just plugging in raw freakish talent and getting results.

Football is about athletes, talent, and putting playmakers in the right spot to make plays. WE NEED ATHLETES. WE NEED PLAYMAKERS.

I could care less about a college football player's release or size if he can ball. Releases like tebo and Vince young? The coaches used the ability those players DID have and were still successful. Size and mechanics like Johnny football? Sumlin still was able to use manziel's strengths and made it work. Only a few qbs out there are going to the NFL. But there are plenty of teams that are getting results from the QB position from players who won't come close to being successful NFL QBs.

Last year I watched a QB that had average passing skills at best, come off the bench and win a ship. He had trouble reading defenses and he locked onto wrs. He had a very strong arm though. Biggest asset was size, and it was used to run and break tackles.

If chumley has a funky release, but he can run and make plays, it should not matter. If he has the abilty to cause problems with running and has the size to break tackles, he should be in there. Players make plays. Mac saw it first hand with Seneca Wallace who,was,really a wr, and he also saw it with tebo who was a rb. Get some talent and playmakers in there. PLAYMAKERS MAKE PLAYS, not mechanics and measurables.

nice mechanics are great if you have them, but we need guys who can play football, whether they have good mechanics or not. this is not the NFL and it is not UNTs responsibility to supply the NFL with the next Phillip rivers while other teams are just plugging in raw freakish talent and getting results.

Football is about athletes, talent, and putting playmakers in the right spot to make plays. WE NEED ATHLETES. WE NEED PLAYMAKERS.

I could care less about a college football player's release or size if he can ball. Releases like tebo and Vince young? The coaches used the ability those players DID have and were still successful. Size and mechanics like Johnny football? Sumlin still was able to use manziel's strengths and made it work. Only a few qbs out there are going to the NFL. But there are plenty of teams that are getting results from the QB position from players who won't come close to being successful NFL QBs.

Last year I watched a QB that had average passing skills at best, come off the bench and win a ship. He had trouble reading defenses and he locked onto wrs. He had a very strong arm though. Biggest asset was size, and it was used to run and break tackles.

If chumley has a funky release, but he can run and make plays, it should not matter. If he has the abilty to cause problems with running and has the size to break tackles, he should be in there. Players make plays. Mac saw it first hand with Seneca Wallace who,was,really a wr, and he also saw it with tebo who was a rb. Get some talent and playmakers in there. PLAYMAKERS MAKE PLAYS, not mechanics and measurables.

The thing with those guys is that they were still very highly recruited. Young and Tebow were 5-stars and Manziel had offers from Oregon and Texas A&M, among other schools.

Grimm's only offer was from New Mexico State, who signed 6 QBs including Grimm in his class (2014). He was on a state championship team, so plenty of schools saw him play and passed on him, whether the release was the deal breaker or not. And Chumley had double digit offers but was insistent on going to a college that would allow him to play QB. Us and ULM were the only ones that would, and it could possibly be just so they could get an athlete of that caliber that they may not have been able to under normal circumstances. So with those guys it might be more than just mechanics, based on how their recruitments went.

But I do agree with your sentiment. I'm obviously very big on offer lists, but two positions I think offer lists don't have to always be great for are QB and receiver. At receiver guys like Brelan Chancellor and Carlos Harris didn't get any offers because they were small. That's okay, because we are asking them to get open and make people miss; not overwhelm people with their size. At QB if a coach can develop an under-recruited kid then it doesn't matter who else offered him. If he can be developed properly and play within the system well then he can have shortcomings.

That being said, I just still think that relying on Grimm or Chumley to be the real deal for us might be dangerous. One of those two, Means, or Dajon, need to step up as the QB of the future or else we'll keep signing JUCO QBs every year like we have been. And that needs to start this spring. Not after Mcnulty or Damarcus Smith (if he works out) graduate.