UNT Fans Are Idiots

Dr. Seuss

Andrew, on 12 Feb 2015 - 9:30 PM, said:snapback.png

This guy is funny... If there were not already a lot of people playing in the GMG game I wish this guy would so we could see his amazing basketball IQ. If you do not stand at a game you do not know basketball. Thats funny..... Quincy williams use to go to every game for a few years after he graduated and I never saw him stand. I guess this guy is better than Quincy. I wish he could play for UNT. He stands at games so his basketball IQ is high....

When the crowd is cheering louder for free T-Shirts and Papa Johns coupons then going on a 18-3/9-0 run to close a half against a team that is tied for first in conference, my comments speaks for them self. UNT fans do not know when to get loud. I'll admit it, I do not know X's and O's more than Greg Goedecker but I do know when to get out of my seat. I think everyone who knows me in section 106 at Apogee will agree. Even Kram said I knew when to get loud at the LA Tech game. Its not hard, pay attention to the game.. I was tweeting Greg for most of the 2nd half and I was still getting up. UNT fans would rather b!tch about things they cannot control; Schedule, Coaches, Players, ect then things they can.. Cheering when you're supposed to. Don't tell me its because of bad coaching, you're already at the game.. You're already sold, get up and effing cheer. Rant over.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

I wouldn't go as far as calling fans idiots. I think these days most people that go to the game are just there to watch a peaceful laid back basketball game. The outcome of the game probably has little effect on them. There really isn't going to be a rowdy atmosphere until you start getting more students into the games. The only way that will happen is if we start to win more. I think a lot of the hardcore fans have become fatigued with where the program is after being good for so many years. People don't want to come out and watch Benford coach period end of story.

I have no problem with some fans wanting to raise the bar and wanting to see a better atmosphere at the games. Its basketball it should be a rowdy atmosphere. That is the standard that has been set. You turn on your TV and watch a good small or large program and you see fans on their feet making a true home court advantage. I think we'd all love to see that at North Texas. I dont think its impossible to see that at UNT, because we've seen it before. Just need to win more game and build faith back into the program. I have a hard time believing that Benford can do that.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't go as far as calling fans idiots. I think these days most people that go to the game are just there to watch a peaceful laid back basketball game. The outcome of the game probably has little effect on them. There really isn't going to be a rowdy atmosphere until you start getting more students into the games. The only way that will happen is if we start to win more. I think a lot of the hardcore fans have become fatigued with where the program is after being good for so many years. People don't want to come out and watch Benford coach period end of story.

I have no problem with some fans wanting to raise the bar and wanting to see a better atmosphere at the games. Its basketball it should be a rowdy atmosphere. That is the standard that has been set. You turn on your TV and watch a good small or large program and you see fans on their feet making a true home court advantage. I think we'd all love to see that at North Texas. I dont think its impossible to see that at UNT, because we've seen it before. Just need to win more game and build faith back into the program. I have a hard time believing that Benford can do that.

^^^^^^^

Best answer

Easy to preach, hard to practice.

It's not easy to get excited for a team that is 10-13, 4-7. There are seven games remaining in the schedule and in order to have a .500 for the "regular" the team needs to win five games. To finish .500 overall we'd need to win six games out of a possible eight or nine games (if we win the first round of the conference tournament).

• Upvote 2

I agree, I'm not saying everyone needs to be out of their seat the entire game. When your team goes on a 10-0 run in the second haft to take the lead and the other team calls a timeout, people should be out of their seats clapping...Its pretty basic. I have a hard time cheering but when they go on runs, you better believe I'm feeling it.

I'm not a Benford fan at all, but when the crowd is cheering louder for free pizza and t-shirts...thats not on Benford, thats just pathetic.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not a Benford fan at all, but when the crowd is cheering louder for free pizza and t-shirts...thats not on Benford, thats just pathetic.

I disagree, it is on Benford. The pit wasn't like this before he got here and even partway into his first season.

It can be better and it probably will be for the next coach, assuming he can rebuild what was torn down.

• Upvote 2

I disagree, it is on Benford. The pit wasn't like this before he got here and even partway into his first season.

It can be better and it probably will be for the next coach, assuming he can rebuild what was torn down.

I agree, but thats not my point. Benford has ruined this program, no doubt about it. Its not Benfords responsibility to tell the fans when to stand up, thats my point. You go on a run and the other team calls a timeout, no reason not to clap. Thats what I'm saying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

[/quote

From your post, I assume you have not been going to NT games long. Jones build up the enthusiasm and crowds, but before him there were few years that were any better than now unless you want to go back to the seventies with Blakely.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

I agree, but thats not my point. Benford has ruined this program, no doubt about it. Its not Benfords responsibility to tell the fans when to stand up, thats my point. You go on a run and the other team calls a timeout, no reason not to clap. Thats what I'm saying.

We used to do this in the latter years under Johnny but again it's hard to cheer for a team that in the past 2-2/3s season has at best seen a .500 season. The offense is low scoring with constant passing around the parameter which doesn't give a lot of opportunities to drive to the rim. Under JJ if we got to 80 there was a good chance we were going to win. I couldn't tell you what the magic number is for a good chance at a win with a Benford team.

I think I went to one game coached by Trilli. Our family started going regularly just before the first JJ tournament run. So by some standards that isn't very long, but with the current coaching regime it's pretty long to still have season tickets.

We saw the rise of this program and the corresponding rise in attendance and atmosphere and now the dramatic fall during Benford's tenure. I just hope we don't have the same length down period like betweenBlakely and JJ.

• Downvote 2

I think I went to one game coached by Trilli. Our family started going regularly just before the first JJ tournament run. So by some standards that isn't very long, but with the current coaching regime it's pretty long to still have season tickets.

We saw the rise of this program and the corresponding rise in attendance and atmosphere and now the dramatic fall during Benford's tenure. I just hope we don't have the same length down period like betweenBlakely and JJ.

You missed that little run in the late 80's did Ya?

Rick

• Upvote 3

I had Dallas Mavericks tickets for ten years from mid 80's to mid 90's - some very good years and some not so good. Whenever a Maverick run forced the opponents to call a time out, the arena production crew was ready with up tempo music that kept the crowd going and enhanced the home court advantage. The crew at the Pit needs to deviate from the time-out scripts when the game calls for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I had Dallas Mavericks tickets for ten years from mid 80's to mid 90's - some very good years and some not so good. Whenever a Maverick run forced the opponents to call a time out, the arena production crew was ready with up tempo music that kept the crowd going and enhanced the home court advantage. The crew at the Pit needs to deviate from the time-out scripts when the game calls for it.

In-game production is just another one of the things this Athletic Department is absolutely horrible at.

• Upvote 5

Going into the '89-'90 season we were promoting the chance for a Southland Conference Three-Peet. So yeah, it was a run.

Rick

88 tournament was a surprise, as we were 4th or 5th place in league. 88/89 was regular season champs (??), but upset in conference tournament eliminated any chance for post-season play. 89/90 we may have been preseason faves, but we didnt win conference.

So you had one surprising year followed by 2 disappointing years. Not really a run.

Edited by UNT90

88 tournament was a surprise, as we were 4th or 5th place in league. 88/89 was regular season champs (??), but upset in conference tournament eliminated any chance for post-season play. 89/90 we may have been preseason faves, but we didnt win conference.

So you had one surprising year followed by 2 disappointing years. Not really a run.

In 1988 we won the regular season conference championship in the final regular season game of the season against ULM in Monroe when Deon Hunter took an inbounds pass from under our own basket and drove the length of the court and got a finger tip roller to fall as time expired. Because of that we hosted the post season tournament in Denton and beat ULM live on ESPN for the post season tournament championship and a trip to the dance regional in Salt Lake City.

In 1989 we again won the regular season conference championship and again hosted the post season tournament in Denton and made it to the championship but lost to McNeese St live on ESPN.

In 1989/90 we were hoping to win a third consecutive regular season conference championship but we fell apart. Despite the terrible season, we won three straight in the post season conference tournament in Monroe and made it to the championship but lost to ULM live on ESPN.

2 regular season conference championships.

1 Post Tourney championship.

1 NCAA appearance

3 straight Post Tourney Championship game appearances on live TV.

To me and everyone who were there to witness it, this was a run. A run we wouldn't see again for another 15 years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

In 1988 we won the regular season conference championship in the final regular season game of the season against ULM in Monroe when Deon Hunter took an inbounds pass from under our own basket and drove the length of the court and got a finger tip roller to fall as time expired. Because of that we hosted the post season tournament in Denton and beat ULM live on ESPN for the post season tournament championship and a trip to the dance regional in Salt Lake City.

In 1989 we again won the regular season conference championship and again hosted the post season tournament in Denton and made it to the championship but lost to McNeese St live on ESPN.

In 1989/90 we were hoping to win a third consecutive regular season conference championship but we fell apart. Despite the terrible season, we won three straight in the post season conference tournament in Monroe and made it to the championship but lost to ULM live on ESPN.

2 regular season conference championships.

1 Post Tourney championship.

1 NCAA appearance

3 straight Post Tourney Championship game appearances on live TV.

To me and everyone who were there to witness it, this was a run. A run we wouldn't see again for another 15 years.

Rick

I was actually at that ULM game. Great comeback from 11 points down with about 1:30 left.

I forgot that we were reg season champs that year.

Still, I really don't consider 2 years a run. It was great fun, especially for a young guy at UNT during those seasons.