SMU QB Neal Burcham tears ACL, likely out for 2015

Harry

SMU quarterback Neal Burcham has sustained a torn ACL and will likely miss the entire 2015 season, according to the Dallas Morning News.

Burcham was named the Mustangs' starter in fall camp last year but sustained a season-ending elbow injury after two games. He threw for 158 yards and two interceptions against Baylor and North Texas before the injury.

Kolney Cassel took over for Burcham before being replaced by Garrett Krstich. Sophomore Matt Davis eventually became SMU's starter and played 10 games last season, throwing for 855 yards, three touchdowns and five interceptions and adding four touchdowns on the ground.

Read more: http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/02/02/smu-neal-burcham-tears-acl

• 4 weeks later...

I think SMU was redshirting the best QB on the team last year. (Darrell Colbert of Houston Lamar) Saw him in HS against Allen at Cowboy Stadium. Wish we had him.

I didn't think he was anything special. Good athlete with below average arm strength for the FBS level. I think he's been over recruited now that Morris signed Ben Hicks away from Houston.

I didn't think he was anything special. Good athlete with below average arm strength for the FBS level. I think he's been over recruited now that Morris signed Ben Hicks away from Houston.

Right. Hicks looks to be the future at least until the future happens. Darn you future for being so unknown!

Don't think I said that this kid was special but that he was the best on that team in 2014 (although a redshirt) I still would prefer him over that great arm of Josh Greer or the elusive Andy McNulty. This kid was lightly recruited because of his size. He was, however, one of the better QB's out of Houston that took his team to the State championships his junior and senior year in largest classification. As a dual threat QB, you don't have to have an Andrew Luck type arm. SMU is not an SEC program either.

That smu game is going to be hard. First game are always so ragged and they will have just been waxed by Baylor. Criwd gonna need to lift the Mean Green down in Dallas! Stay tuned for mega pre-party in the m streets. It's gonna be like St pattys day in September followed by a March to Ford!

GMG

Don't think I said that this kid was special but that he was the best on that team in 2014 (although a redshirt) I still would prefer him over that great arm of Josh Greer or the elusive Andy McNulty. This kid was lightly recruited because of his size. He was, however, one of the better QB's out of Houston that took his team to the State championships his junior and senior year in largest classification. As a dual threat QB, you don't have to have an Andrew Luck type arm. SMU is not an SEC program either.

And I didn't say "I disagree, he's not special". Never said you called him special. I was just stating that I personally didn't think he was anything special, as in I don't think he'll be much of an FBS-level QB. But, like you said, I think he'd be just as good as anyone we have and maybe our best young QB. But not only is that not saying much, I don't think you'll ever see Coach Mccarney sign 6'0" or smaller QB out of high school, from now until he's no longer the Head Coach at North Texas.